• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2016 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

A lot of good players have left prodigy. and really who cares., do you like throwing their plastic should be a non sponsored players deciding factor.

I don't care if paige goes to lightning disc and rants and raves about the p51. it sucks rather she can throw it 400 feet or not.

She certainly threw that red Warden a lot during the USWDGC so I guess sponsored or not isn't a deciding factor for pros either.

A lot of good players have left prodigy. and really who cares., do you like throwing their plastic should be a non sponsored players deciding factor.

I don't care if paige goes to lightning disc and rants and raves about the p51. it sucks rather she can throw it 400 feet or not.

So many good players leaving Prodigy was too be expected. It was disappointing to see so many top pros get duped into joining Prodigy based on promises of longer-term income. Now reality has sunk in. The Prodigy businessmen have built their brand on the player's names, and the players are discovering the money isn't there. The whole thing felt shady from the start, which is why I haven't purchased a Prodigy product, and don't plan to ever.

I still like Big Jerm though. :hfive:

My qualm with Prodigy has been the naming convention. Watching a ITB with a Prodigy sponsored player does nothing for me even if if was idolizing said player. "My go to driver for big D is this 400G D2" I will have forgotten the code by the time I get to the store.

My qualm with Prodigy has been the naming convention. Watching a ITB with a Prodigy sponsored player does nothing for me even if if was idolizing said player. "My go to driver for big D is this 400G D2" I will have forgotten the code by the time I get to the store.

Ya, you Fins have got it figured out...

Every disc golfer at some point, "Wow dude, you crushed the wind with that throw, what was it?"

You, "Slaidi."

Average DGer, "WTF:confused:"

So many good players leaving Prodigy was too be expected. It was disappointing to see so many top pros get duped into joining Prodigy based on promises of longer-term income. Now reality has sunk in. The Prodigy businessmen have built their brand on the player's names, and the players are discovering the money isn't there. The whole thing felt shady from the start, which is why I haven't purchased a Prodigy product, and don't plan to ever.

So you know for certain that there were promises of long term income? As far as I know, the up front money was only for the first year. Besides this is Professional Disc Golf. I'm sure most sane people realize they're not getting rich.

Prodigy has lost a few people sure, but there's still a couple staying around. That should tell you something.

Paige is smart to get off the ship before it goes under.
Zero demand for prodigy.
If they stay afloat for another year I would be blow away.

My qualm with Prodigy has been the naming convention.
That's the only thing I like about Prodigy and wish every manufacturer used that standard. When you are watching tournaments or ITB you should be able to tell what that disc does easily, I've never thrown most of Prodigy's discs, but I know what a D1 or M3 should fly like.

It's closer to ball golf since manufacturers still call a 7 iron and 7 iron only it's a Callaway 7 iron vs a Nike 7 iron. Even non-golfers now what a 7 iron is no matter the manufacturer, but even most hard core disc-golfers don't know what the hell a Slaidi does.

I used to dislike the prodigy naming but it's like anything else, after a little time you get used to it. The only problem I see with it now is what happens when you want to release new molds between stabilities? They make some solid molds (f7, f5, m2, m4, d3, pa1, pa4 I've all thrown and liked) but nobody here locally has a good stock. I prefer to handle their stuff than order blindly online. I'd probably bag more of it if I had it accessible.

As far as them losing team members, you'd have to assume they knew some would leave after a couple of years. Either between getting poached by competitors or just dropping sponsorship for those not playing well.

DG is still small enough that any of the new manufacturers are still fairly regional. There are pockets where one brand hardly exists but others where they're fairly popular.

Paige is smart to get off the ship before it goes under.
Zero demand for prodigy.
If they stay afloat for another year I would be blow away.

I'm gonna agree with Dan, this is a bit much.

I like their numbering convention, I'm not guessing what I'm getting. BTW I played before the Innova universal system. You were guessing when you bought a disc. Prodigy took that head on, and that takes chutzpah.

My problems with Prodigy are, their plastics leave me guessing. That isn't just them, all the manufacturers are bs about plastics. And I hate their drivers, not because they aren't good, but because I don't go over 22 mm on rim width and that is all they have, 23 or bigger. If they came out with a 20 to 22 mm series, I'd probably switch to them, again, because their numbering system tells me where I'm starting, and when I go to test a disc, I know where I am.

Oh and Paige, from the animostity, I'd guess somewhere someone had a personal issue, her, another player, or ownership. The notion that any player leaves because of plasitic is silly IMO.

Ya, you Fins have got it figured out...

Every disc golfer at some point, "Wow dude, you crushed the wind with that throw, what was it?"

You, "Slaidi."

Average DGer, "WTF:confused:"

As appossed to a Sasquatch? Slaidi probably makes sense to a Finn. That's exactly the reason why the Prodigy system works. Japanese? Finn? Even the Brits can have it with fish and chips. :)

well i guess the naming system is a semi-dead horse. at least an unconscious one, but that doesnt stop me from beating it a little more :D especially irks me because the plastics are the same. if it was "baseline M3" it might help, but now its 400RPM^2 F7 or some such. although, I bag a P1x, P2, MD3 and so on, but at least the plastic is easily referrable to Innova.

In any case, me being Finnish does not play a role. Or wait, does it? Discmania is a Finnish born enterprise. A little hometown pride at the most. Prodiscus on the other hand... I think he might also have painted himself into a corner with the English-term-with-a-extra-vowel-added

As to the teammembers... I think Nikkos newfound game is at least partially attributable to throwing whatever the hell he wants again. Big Jerm must be my fav Prodigy team player at the moment. Its not all bad.

And I hate their drivers, not because they aren't good, but because I don't go over 22 mm on rim width and that is all they have, 23 or bigger. If they came out with a 20 to 22 mm series, I'd probably switch to them, again, because their numbering system tells me where I'm starting, and when I go to test a disc, I know where I am.

Yeah the gap between the H-series and D-series drivers is ridiculous. Plenty of room to add slower distance drivers.

She certainly threw that red Warden a lot during the USWDGC so I guess sponsored or not isn't a deciding factor for pros either.

I thought that was a Marshal, but you might be right.

I like Big Jerm, too. I don't know the details, but I do agree there has to be a reason why so many top pros signed with Prodigy then quickly flew the coop (to coin a phrase), and why some of them (see: Paige Pierce) have such rancor towards them. No, Paige won't be back with them, either.

Prodigy makes some good discs and in some good plastics... but that is not the reason people are leaving them. Time will tell what happens in their future, if they challenge Innova/Discraft/Trilogy or go the way of Salient. But I am definitely on Paige's side in their 'debate', and I hope she does exceptionally well with Trilogy discs (or whoever she decides to throw)...

I like Big Jerm, too. I don't know the details, but I do agree there has to be a reason why so many top pros signed with Prodigy then quickly flew the coop (to coin a phrase), and why some of them (see: Paige Pierce) have such rancor towards them. No, Paige won't be back with them, either.

Prodigy makes some good discs and in some good plastics... but that is not the reason people are leaving them. Time will tell what happens in their future, if they challenge Innova/Discraft/Trilogy or go the way of Salient. But I am definitely on Paige's side in their 'debate', and I hope she does exceptionally well with Trilogy discs (or whoever she decides to throw)...

Who else has been vocal? I am only aware of Paige.

Yeah the gap between the H-series and D-series drivers is ridiculous. Plenty of room to add slower distance drivers.

I completely agree. And I'm a big Prodigy lover. However, their hybrid series is very ho-hum, and there's a massive difference in their good discs (F2, F5, F7 - D1, D2, D3) 7 to 13 speed? Where are the control drivers? Where are the Wraiths, Beasts, Saints, Avengers, CD2s? sigh...

/threadderailover

First let me say that in my experiences the Prodigy management team are a bunch of jerkoffs. However, you'll have to help me understand how the players were "duped." It seems pretty clear they were paid well for the first year of their contracts. They were the first manufacturer to offer salaries to their entire team. This set a new standard, and raised the bar for all other manufacturers contracts. Professional disc golfers have greatly benefited from Prodigy entering the market. Now, it is also pretty clear that their market share is not what they had hoped it would be, and it is trending in the wrong direction. So, they are unable to compensate their team at the level they did at their outset. That is not duping someone, that is how business works, you don't give people raises while you're losing money.

The reason a few team members have jumped ship is not some great mystery, they all got pay cuts, so those who could get more money elsewhere did exactly that.
Hate to break it to yah, but I don;t think "coining a phrase" means what you think it does, that is not an original phrase. I do agree that Prodigy making quality plastic is not the reason players are jumping ship, since that doesn't make any sense.

Latest posts