• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] 10 longest driver molds (for me)

I hated the starlite Boss. I've thrown 2. Both were ridiculously flippy junk. It didn't matter how much hyzer I put those things one, they'd flip hard.

You never know what you're getting when you buy a super light disc. There's a fundamental reason you don't see good players throw discs like that on the course.

Someone handed me a 150 star boss the other day after league. It hyzerflipped, turned over, and over, and over, and over. In a tailwind....

Someone handed me a 150 star boss the other day after league. It hyzerflipped, turned over, and over, and over, and over. In a tailwind....

Yeah. Blizzard Bosses will usually do OK, but starlite Bosses are the flippiest things I've ever seen.

Again, there's a reason I really don't mess with air plastic. Other than some fun field bombs it isn't worth it.

Yeah. Blizzard Bosses will usually do OK, but starlite Bosses are the flippiest things I've ever seen.

Again, there's a reason I really don't mess with air plastic. Other than some fun field bombs it isn't worth it.

Me either with exception of the DX Dragon which is a lightweight version of DX. There the disc does not loose any stability in the lighter version of DX, a version that feels like an R-DX similar to the R-Pro feeling from the regular Pro.

Me either with exception of the DX Dragon which is a lightweight version of DX. There the disc does not loose any stability in the lighter version of DX, a version that feels like an R-DX similar to the R-Pro feeling from the regular Pro.

I recently got a Dragon to see if it would fulfill my plan to have a disc I can throw near water and not worry about losing it because it's cheap and replaceable. They say the plastic is DX, but it's a little different than other DX discs I have (both the 'good' DX and the 'bad' DX). I think you're right that there is some kind of 'R-DX', maybe an R-Pro/DX mix, that makes up the Dragon (sample of 1 for me).

I was hoping the Dragon would do well for me, so I could order a stack from the Proshop and get discounts and free shipping. Alas, I'm not very happy with the Dragon's performance. Yes, it's the archer not the arrow, but some arrows suit certain archers better... and while I've had a few good throws with the Dragon, in the overall it's been consistently inconsistent for me. I'll keep trying, but the DX Archangel and DX Beast are doing better for me than the Dragon.

I recently got a Dragon to see if it would fulfill my plan to have a disc I can throw near water and not worry about losing it because it's cheap and replaceable. They say the plastic is DX, but it's a little different than other DX discs I have (both the 'good' DX and the 'bad' DX). I think you're right that there is some kind of 'R-DX', maybe an R-Pro/DX mix, that makes up the Dragon (sample of 1 for me).

I was hoping the Dragon would do well for me, so I could order a stack from the Proshop and get discounts and free shipping. Alas, I'm not very happy with the Dragon's performance. Yes, it's the archer not the arrow, but some arrows suit certain archers better... and while I've had a few good throws with the Dragon, in the overall it's been consistently inconsistent for me. I'll keep trying, but the DX Archangel and DX Beast are doing better for me than the Dragon.

During the late 2000's but before R-Pro was really made for more discs then just the Dart, Hydra, and JK Aviar being basically R-Pro, the DX changed from the older version that felt more like the way that Innova makes lighter DX to more R-Pro. The later most recent one I got in 2018 was more waxy on the outer layer, something that if you do not like try sitting the disc on water for about 7-10 minutes. About 7-10 minutes is how long mine was floating in water last year when I threw over water but came up just short and had to wait for the disc to float in the last 10 feet.

Is yours a bit waxy on the outside? If so do this tip to get grip back in the disc.

Last edited:
Is yours a bit waxy on the outside? If so do this tip to get grip back in the disc.

No, I would not call my Dragon's plastic 'waxy'. Not like waxy DX. My Dragon is decently grippy. It's not that bad in terms of feel in the hand; it just doesn't consistently fly like I want it to.

You could be Robin Hood and still throw the Dragon like crap. Its the flippiest, least consistent disc I've ever thrown. Dragons aren't worth the trouble. You'd be better off ordering a few DX Wraiths for water shots.

I couldn't ever do anything with the Archangel either. Anything over about 275' is flip city with that thing.

You could be Robin Hood and still throw the Dragon like crap. Its the flippiest, least consistent disc I've ever thrown.

Worse than the Renegade?!?! I am shocked, shocked! to hear that! ;) :p Just kidding.

I couldn't ever do anything with the Archangel either. Anything over about 275' is flip city with that thing.

With your armspeed, it probably is flippy. For me, a 170-class Archangel flies decently, especially on a hyzerflip. I'm hoping to dial in the right weight-range on DX Beasts and get consistently good results (yes, realizing it'll start wearing in).

Worse than the Renegade?!?! I am shocked, shocked! to hear that! ;) :p Just kidding.

With your armspeed, it probably is flippy. For me, a 170-class Archangel flies decently, especially on a hyzerflip. I'm hoping to dial in the right weight-range on DX Beasts and get consistently good results (yes, realizing it'll start wearing in).

Yeah, the Dragon is even worse than the Renegade. :D

Generally, around water I use a really overstable disc. That way you know what you'll get out of it. No random flipping.

Generally, around water I use a really overstable disc. That way you know what you'll get out of it. No random flipping.

For me the problem is that I throw RHBH, and the lake that the DG gods use to claim sacrifice is to the left (the lake goes along the left side of the hole, which doglegs left around the top of the lake as well). So I prefer something that's straight and will err towards drifting right.

Latest posts