• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] 10 longest driver molds (for me)

I bought a GStar prototype Daedalus the first summer I started playing. It was very flat. That first month, I was hooked and used to take a bag of discs on a 4-wheeler up to a field behind the house, then bounce a laser rangefinder off the 4-wheeler for exceptionally long throws. The second-longest throw I ever measured was with that Daedalus at 182 yards, which is 546'. It took some hyzer on the release, but it would get out there longer than a Destroyer. Only disc I ever threw further was an old ESP Nuke at 186 yards. Those two were pretty similar, and always longer than a Destroyer. Also tried a Blizzard Boss, and no amount of hyzer could keep it from turning all the way over.

These were all forehand throws and at 6000' of elevation, btw. Everything would have been noticeably flippierat sea level.

My friend has a wave and likes it for tailwind bombs only.
I just got to messing with inertias. So far the N 173g i have is a straight and long flyer. I think it will be perfect for the vultures im trying to replace. Flies like the FR Z flat Vultures i had.

I will take a peek at the impulse.

Gyro is def real but i still dont know if that translates to a "better" disc. Im finding it just "different" than non overmolds.

I would love to see more ppl with 500ft power throwing them.

The Impulse is more understable than the Inertia.

As to "Gyro is real", my subtle and semi-humorous point was that ALL discs are gyro; that's why they fly(!). MVP/Axiom puts the rubber (or whatever that material is) on the outer edge, which does help distribute the weight to the outer edge. But in reality it's marketing more than anything unique in how it makes a disc fly. (Haters take umbrage, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :popcorn: )

The Impulse is more understable than the Inertia.

As to "Gyro is real", my subtle and semi-humorous point was that ALL discs are gyro; that's why they fly(!). MVP/Axiom puts the rubber (or whatever that material is) on the outer edge, which does help distribute the weight to the outer edge. But in reality it's marketing more than anything unique in how it makes a disc fly. (Haters take umbrage, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :popcorn: )

I personally don't notice that MVP/Axiom discs provide any better distance than other brands. If anything I think they glide a bit less.

The Catalyst is the longest disc I've tried from those brands.

Gyro is def real but i still dont know if that translates to a "better" disc. Im finding it just "different" than non overmolds.

I would love to see more ppl with 500ft power throwing them.

I personally don't notice that MVP/Axiom discs provide any better distance than other brands. If anything I think they glide a bit less.

The Catalyst is the longest disc I've tried from those brands.

Yeah, I think mvpaxiom discs do provide a different flight. Generally speaking I feel they are easier to lock onto a line and therefore great for technical/woods or line drive shots. But like Twmccoy said not necessarily longer, probably less glide if anything. At least for most ams. All generally speaking.

I like having a mix of mvp and glidier offerings from other brands in the bag. Best of both worlds.

Yeah, I think mvpaxiom discs do provide a different flight. Generally speaking I feel they are easier to lock onto a line and therefore great for technical/woods or line drive shots. But like Twmccoy said not necessarily longer, probably less glide if anything. At least for most ams. All generally speaking.

I like having a mix of mvp and glidier offerings from other brands in the bag. Best of both worlds.

I feel like the Octane and Mayhem are slight letdowns. I'm not saying I don't like them, but I don't get the distance out of them I feel like I ought to.

The Octane can be a little stubborn. It doesn't penetrate super well, and isn't a remarkable glider. They fade a little prematurely. Same story with the Mayhem. Even when I hit a big S curve line with it the disc will work out of it quickly and just fall out of the air. Axiom/MVP discs do NOT have good late glide. As soon as they lose momentum they come hurtling out of the air like a meteorite.

The Wave is one of the more disappointing drivers I've ever thrown. I feel like they glide poorly and are hard to get on a good S curve. They either stay hyzer or flip over. No good area in between.

I know there are some understable speed 13/14 offerings from Axiom/MVP I haven't tried. Maybe some of those are bombers. The Catalyst is legit. It made my list. I really liked the way the Catalyst flew. Reminded me of a Shryke, but a speed faster.

More field work today. I brought my 160 star Tern, along with 7 other long distance bombers. The Tern outclassed them easily by 40' at times.

My longest toss of the day was with the Tern at 470'. That could also be one of my longest throws ever. It was a nice, warm day with a very slight tailwind.

I even had a star Shryke in the mix, and the star Tern was beating it easily. The Tern simply doesn't want to come down. It stretches hugely in that part of the flight where the disc is transitioning from high speed turn to fade.

Again, this is sheer distance. I probably wouldn't use this Tern much on the course. The throws are high, somewhat wild S curves. I still assert that the Tern is one of the best downwind bombers I've ever seen.

I had a Vanish out there today that had the same exact flight as the Tern (flippy). However, it was a good 40' shorter. Just didn't quite glide as well.

You might like the Teleport. It seems like a big arm could really crush one. My Neutron flies similarly to my Recycled Ballista Pro.

I knew something had gone wrong before with you and the Tern.

I probably still won't bag the Tern, but for sheer yardage its insane. I don't feel like I'm accurate enough with the Tern to use it on any shot where danger lurks.

The last 2 times I've done distance driving practice, a Tern has beaten all the other drivers I brought out. Beaten them easily too.

The Tern is outstanding on hyzerflips. Once you figure out the release angle the disc pretty much does the rest of the work.

The 14 speed MVP discs are no joke when it comes to distance. I agree that they do not glide the best, but they don't need to. In fact, it is probably best they don't for better accuracy. These discs get down range SO fast, glide isn't necessary. I haven't thrown a catalyst since my newbie days (a whopping 3-4 years ago), but the teleport and dimension crush. However the catalyst is probably a safer bet for distance if you don't throw 400+ feet regularly.

The teleport is the only disc I've gotten over 500ft, and it's done it multiple times. I do not bag it because it can be a bit touchy with arm speed. If you don't get it to speed it will hyzer out, and if you smash it with a flat release it will ride right too much. The Dimension is about 10-20 ft shorter than the teleport at this point. I just picked one up, but so far it has the distance and the accuracy I've been looking for. The shortest throw has been a controlled 400ft hyzer. Every other time it has sailed 450+, and it almost hit 500ft once.

I wouldn't say I have a "500 foot arm" at this point, but these two discs are like cheating. It would be interesting to see some of the bigger arms smash on these.

I bag all Discraft, but the Dimension has already changed that. They simply don't make a disc this fast and accurate. The Kong and Force are great for reliable 425-450ft throws, but I just can't push them further than that at this point. The Crank is too unpredictable when given power. The Nuke is pretty fast and stable, but it doesn't net much more distance than my Forces and it's less predictable.

I've got a few Nuke OS's with some dome that aren't nearly as overstable as a flat Nuke OS, and they bomb. The ones I got were $8 at Marshall Street last month. Think they're still $10. Seems faster than anything else I own, including a Ballista Pro. I got 4, not the seafoamy green color but rather the brighter green color, and 3 of the 4 are like this. The 4th is flat and OS. I'd be interested to see some of you guys with 450'+ of power compare them to the other discs you're mentioning.

I've got a few Nuke OS's with some dome that aren't nearly as overstable as a flat Nuke OS, and they bomb. The ones I got were $8 at Marshall Street last month. Think they're still $10. Seems faster than anything else I own, including a Ballista Pro. I got 4, not the seafoamy green color but rather the brighter green color, and 3 of the 4 are like this. The 4th is flat and OS. I'd be interested to see some of you guys with 450'+ of power compare them to the other discs you're mentioning.

I've thrown a few Nuke OSs. A couple domey ones, and one very flat one. Those things are almost cruelly overstable. I can't get much yardage with them.

On a good rip I MIGHT be able to hit 350' with a Nuke OS. I find them to be glideless bricks, and one of the most overstable molds I can think of.

I've only thrown one Nuke OS, and I bag it for utility shots. It is board flat and wicked overstable. It has to be crushed on extreme anhyzer to get over 375'. I would be interested in throwing a less stable version with some dome. I could see that being a bomber, as the Nuke OS is a very fast disc.

I've thrown a few Nuke OSs. A couple domey ones, and one very flat one. Those things are almost cruelly overstable. I can't get much yardage with them.

On a good rip I MIGHT be able to hit 350' with a Nuke OS. I find them to be glideless bricks, and one of the most overstable molds I can think of.

The first Nuke OS I ever threw was a flat Z that I found with no name or number. It was uselessly overstable, even though I was sometimes forehanding regular distance drivers 400'+ at the time. These Ledgestone ESP Nuke OS's(the ones with a little dome) are not even close to that overstability. They don't turn, but man do they go straight for awhile really far before the fade. Even the flat Ledgestone one that I have thrown doesn't seem nearly as OS as the one that I threw years ago.

Also, I came to post that because of you, I picked up an Echo Star Tern. Got around to throwing it yesterday. And even though my backhand is currently in a slump, it still went ~360', which was at least 30-40' further than an old Wraith that I usually like to throw for long backhands when my form is better. I'm excited to get back out of this form slump and see what it can do.

The first Nuke OS I ever threw was a flat Z that I found with no name or number. It was uselessly overstable, even though I was sometimes forehanding regular distance drivers 400'+ at the time. These Ledgestone ESP Nuke OS's(the ones with a little dome) are not even close to that overstability. They don't turn, but man do they go straight for awhile really far before the fade. Even the flat Ledgestone one that I have thrown doesn't seem nearly as OS as the one that I threw years ago.

Also, I came to post that because of you, I picked up an Echo Star Tern. Got around to throwing it yesterday. And even though my backhand is currently in a slump, it still went ~360', which was at least 30-40' further than an old Wraith that I usually like to throw for long backhands when my form is better. I'm excited to get back out of this form slump and see what it can do.

I've never thrown an E* Tern. I'd imagine they're pretty damn flippy. The 2 regular star Terns I've thrown lately absolutely BOMB though. Those star Terns were blowing away almost every other disc I put them up against for sheer distance. Shrykes, Sheriffs, Vanish, Destroyers, Ballistas, you name it. Those Terns are just so damn long.

I will say that the E* Destroyer I recently threw was WAY longer than all the other regular star Destroyers I've thrown lately. Domier, glidier, and flippier too.

The most overstable disc I bag is a Firebird. I'm not looking for big distance with it. I want the short flight and dumpy fade. I use the XCal for longer overstable shots. It'll fly flat a long way before fading.

I feel like the Octane and Mayhem are slight letdowns. I'm not saying I don't like them, but I don't get the distance out of them I feel like I ought to.

The Octane can be a little stubborn. It doesn't penetrate super well, and isn't a remarkable glider. They fade a little prematurely. Same story with the Mayhem. Even when I hit a big S curve line with it the disc will work out of it quickly and just fall out of the air. Axiom/MVP discs do NOT have good late glide. As soon as they lose momentum they come hurtling out of the air like a meteorite.

The Wave is one of the more disappointing drivers I've ever thrown. I feel like they glide poorly and are hard to get on a good S curve. They either stay hyzer or flip over. No good area in between.

I know there are some understable speed 13/14 offerings from Axiom/MVP I haven't tried. Maybe some of those are bombers. The Catalyst is legit. It made my list. I really liked the way the Catalyst flew. Reminded me of a Shryke, but a speed faster.

I'd have to disagree on the Mayhem. I find them to have an excellent combination of glide, distance and predictability.

I have a few molds I can throw a bit further, like the Teleport, but that extra 15-20' comes at the expense of control. Mayhem is my favorite raw distance disc for golf shots, even if it isn't my #1 during a field session.

Have you ever tried an Insanity? That's one of the first discs I let people try when they tell me they want a long range MVP / Axiom disc. The bit of high speed turn helps players from a variety of skill levels get a full flight, and it has really nice glide. Crave is another sneaky long disc. Even at my distance its raw glide keeps it surprisingly close to the speed 13 & 14 discs during field work.

My top 2 have been
Legacy pinnacle Cannon
Innova Shryke.

My Cannon has great glide, and it's true to the intended numbers. I like the legacy plastics much better than Innova.

The shryke is newer champion domey 175, and could stand additional seasoning. I believe it will eventually surpass the cannon, if I can stand this slick champion plastic long enough

Latest posts