• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] 10 longest driver molds (for me)

I'd have to disagree on the Mayhem. I find them to have an excellent combination of glide, distance and predictability.

I have a few molds I can throw a bit further, like the Teleport, but that extra 15-20' comes at the expense of control. Mayhem is my favorite raw distance disc for golf shots, even if it isn't my #1 during a field session.

Have you ever tried an Insanity? That's one of the first discs I let people try when they tell me they want a long range MVP / Axiom disc. The bit of high speed turn helps players from a variety of skill levels get a full flight, and it has really nice glide. Crave is another sneaky long disc. Even at my distance its raw glide keeps it surprisingly close to the speed 13 & 14 discs during field work.

I think I have thrown an Insanity, but I don't really remember it. I know I have one or two of them in my stacks of discs. I might have to dig around and find one of them. I know I've never thrown a Crave.

I don't dislike the Mayhem, but it didn't really wow me in the distance dept. It seemed to lack the glide of the Shryke. I was easily throwing Shrykes further than the Mayhem.

The Catalyst is still the longest disc I've tried from MVP. It'll hang with pretty much anything.

Agreed. Not flippy, especially fresh out of the box. But they season in very well. It really is a shame Innova took E* OOP; the Tern is great in it.

Somewhere I actually have an E* Tern. I found it like 5 years ago and its sitting in a stack of discs. I need to dig that thing out and see how it flies.

I also remember the starlite Tern being really long. Not super flippy either. For 158g that thing actually had a little beef to it.

I also remember the starlite Tern being really long. Not super flippy either. For 158g that thing actually had a little beef to it.

My Starlite Tern (don't remember the weight) was very overstable, especially relative to most other Terns, even my 157g Champion Tern. The plastic felt lousy in the hand, too. I have it in a box somewhere; it'll stay there, probably forever... :\

I think I have thrown an Insanity, but I don't really remember it. I know I have one or two of them in my stacks of discs. I might have to dig around and find one of them. I know I've never thrown a Crave.

I don't dislike the Mayhem, but it didn't really wow me in the distance dept. It seemed to lack the glide of the Shryke. I was easily throwing Shrykes further than the Mayhem.

The Catalyst is still the longest disc I've tried from MVP. It'll hang with pretty much anything.

Seems like we each found the mold that works best for us :thmbup:

If you ever come across a 160's Crave for a good price, it might work nicely for you.

My Starlite Tern (don't remember the weight) was very overstable, especially relative to most other Terns, even my 157g Champion Tern. The plastic felt lousy in the hand, too. I have it in a box somewhere; it'll stay there, probably forever... :\

Starlite is no plastic I'd ever buy. The starlite Tern I have I dug out of a lake. Its a bit of a beater, but flies pretty decent.

Plastic is kinda junky.

Agreed. Not flippy, especially fresh out of the box. But they season in very well. It really is a shame Innova took E* OOP; the Tern is great in it.

I have 2 really flippy terns. One is a 162g g*and the other is a 169g e* both of which have some seasoning. I also have a newish star one which is the most stable and a newish pro one which is pretty straight and way more stable that the beat in g* and e* but that is likely just due to its newness.

The two flippy ones can only be thrown on hyzer flips and I've had both go from a steep hyzer to a 90 degree turnover into a small headwind. I love them both for uphill wooded tee shots or big turnovers with no ceiling. For context, I'm probably maxing out around 350-390' with these, but they would both flip to flat and turn at 310 ish power with a normal nose down slight hyzer shot. The star would fade out hard on a sub 340' throw but its also pretty new.

I personally found these discs to be a little squirelly and unpredictable for me in the wind...and probably too much speed for my power level, so I'm trying out wraiths. I do keep the flippy ones in the bag because my wraiths can't do that - at least yet.

I have 2 really flippy terns. One is a 162g g*and the other is a 169g e* both of which have some seasoning. I also have a newish star one which is the most stable and a newish pro one which is pretty straight and way more stable that the beat in g* and e* but that is likely just due to its newness.

The two flippy ones can only be thrown on hyzer flips and I've had both go from a steep hyzer to a 90 degree turnover into a small headwind. I love them both for uphill wooded tee shots or big turnovers with no ceiling. For context, I'm probably maxing out around 350-390' with these, but they would both flip to flat and turn at 310 ish power with a normal nose down slight hyzer shot. The star would fade out hard on a sub 340' throw but its also pretty new.

I personally found these discs to be a little squirelly and unpredictable for me in the wind...and probably too much speed for my power level, so I'm trying out wraiths. I do keep the flippy ones in the bag because my wraiths can't do that - at least yet.

My 2 flippy star Terns will do about 450' regularly. A slight hyzer release is obviously needed though. Also, they're useless in a headwind, no matter how much you hyzer them. Terms simply are not headwind discs.

If you like star Terns, but want something a hair beefier, try a heavy champion Tern. Same feel and flight, but it'll take a little more to flip it over. Champion Terns also aren't quite as long as stars.

I don't like G* Terns. They're flat, very flippy, and just don't do what I want them to. Even on perfect lines they don't seem to glide as well as regular stars.

Last edited:
Nor are they forehand discs. I bought a Champ Tern that was too pretty to resist at Sports Authority years ago. Took it to the course and threw it on an open hole that goes East, so any slight breeze would be a tailwind. Put some hyzer on it, and it still flipped over and glided probably 400'+ ..... but at least 200' left and straight into the Colorado River.

Nor are they forehand discs. I bought a Champ Tern that was too pretty to resist at Sports Authority years ago. Took it to the course and threw it on an open hole that goes East, so any slight breeze would be a tailwind. Put some hyzer on it, and it still flipped over and glided probably 400'+ ..... but at least 200' left and straight into the Colorado River.

Backhand or forehand, a Tern is not a disc I'd ever use if danger lurks. They aren't overly accurate.

That said, I've never tried to forehand a Tern.

While I bag 2 Star Shryke 150/167 and a GSTAR
171g which kicked the Terns out, a new disc has taken over the max distance role.

A fresh Lat 64 Opto Air Bolt is the king of my long range bombers RHBH. It leaves everything else in the dust.

Easy to throw, and has good grip too.

My bud gave me his 159 Air Ballista Pro and it's more stable than I expected. I was flexing it out into a 10-15mph headwind around 425' and was getting flat to hyzer around 400' with some consistency with the wind coming from 11 o'clock. Throwing the opposite direction, right shoulder downwind, my best throw was around 470' on a high distance line where the disc was still fighting out. I also had a low line flex around 450' with less than 25' lateral movement where I was going for the high shot but had a fortunate and perhaps telling low release. I don't think it was turning downwind more just holding that turn with the cross-tail wind on top of the flight plate and plenty of stability, I guess. Anyway, Bubble plastic go really really farr

While I bag 2 Star Shryke 150/167 and a GSTAR
171g which kicked the Terns out, a new disc has taken over the max distance role.

A fresh Lat 64 Opto Air Bolt is the king of my long range bombers RHBH. It leaves everything else in the dust.

Easy to throw, and has good grip too.

How far are you throwing? I've dabbled with Bolts before, but I find them too flippy to do anything with. Like, easily -4 or -5 turn. Even on a steep hyzer they turn and burn.

My bud gave me his 159 Air Ballista Pro and it's more stable than I expected. I was flexing it out into a 10-15mph headwind around 425' and was getting flat to hyzer around 400' with some consistency with the wind coming from 11 o'clock. Throwing the opposite direction, right shoulder downwind, my best throw was around 470' on a high distance line where the disc was still fighting out. I also had a low line flex around 450' with less than 25' lateral movement where I was going for the high shot but had a fortunate and perhaps telling low release. I don't think it was turning downwind more just holding that turn with the cross-tail wind on top of the flight plate and plenty of stability, I guess. Anyway, Bubble plastic go really really farr

I hate air plastic on the course, but I agree it can be fun to mess with in the field. I had one freak blizzard Katana that I nailed about 480' one time. That's beyond what I can reach with any other disc.

A really light, moderately overstable disc will absolutely smash. I also have a 150 McBeth star Destroyer that's the same way. You can mash on it and it'll always come back late in flight.

I took that air ballista pro for a test against my current Outlaw setup. The bubble disc is as overstable as my beefy fresh aqua pinnacle Outlaw, but it gets a sweeping hard fade where the Outlaw is looking for the ground. The fast lightweight got crazy left ground play side skips when thrown backhand on most low lines. Forehand, my form isn't clean enough to keep from pulling/wrist rolling it too far left. 400' BH; 330'FH

I must have been getting some good hits the other day because without a ton of pop, this air isn't going anywhere.

I took that air ballista pro for a test against my current Outlaw setup. The bubble disc is as overstable as my beefy fresh aqua pinnacle Outlaw, but it gets a sweeping hard fade where the Outlaw is looking for the ground. The fast lightweight got crazy left ground play side skips when thrown backhand on most low lines. Forehand, my form isn't clean enough to keep from pulling/wrist rolling it too far left. 400' BH; 330'FH

I must have been getting some good hits the other day because without a ton of pop, this air isn't going anywhere.

I never found the Outlaw to be very long. It seems like a deep rimmed, slow driver for a speed 12. Very beefy too. The Outlaw wouldn't be my first choice for a speed 12 driver.

Some air discs can be brutally overstable. I've thrown a few blizzard Bosses that were completely glideless and short. I don't think that plastic molds very consistently. The stuff seems cheap and poorly produced, hence why I seldom trifle with air type discs.

Some air discs can be brutally overstable. I've thrown a few blizzard Bosses that were completely glideless and short. I don't think that plastic molds very consistently. The stuff seems cheap and poorly produced, hence why I seldom trifle with air type discs.

Agree with this. My Starlite Tern is overstable and brick-'ish', especially for a Tern. Flip side of that is that my Starlite Boss is bomber but unreliably flippy. No consistency in that plastic...

Agree with this. My Starlite Tern is overstable and brick-'ish', especially for a Tern. Flip side of that is that my Starlite Boss is bomber but unreliably flippy. No consistency in that plastic...

I hated the starlite Boss. I've thrown 2. Both were ridiculously flippy junk. It didn't matter how much hyzer I put those things one, they'd flip hard.

You never know what you're getting when you buy a super light disc. There's a fundamental reason you don't see good players throw discs like that on the course.

Latest posts