• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

17th Mid-Atlantic Amateur Championships - July 23-24, 2011

tistoude

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I haven't seen anyone post about this yet so I wanted to make sure it got out there since this is a great tournament at a fantastic course, Seneca Creek. Really if you are an Am player this is a great event to play since even though you play the course 4 times they mix up the 27 holes, change tees and pin positions so it is like playing a new course every round. Last year the tourney was played in over 100 degree temperatures with 95% humidity and some of the locals worked over a grill for a couple hours each day, ran around making sure water was available, changed pins between rounds and spotted on a couple holes. Everyone involved is super cool and the disc golf is awesome.

From John Merhi as posted HERE
"The 17th Mid-Atlantic AM Championship has been sanctioned by the PDGA as a B-tier event and will be held July 23 - 24, 2011 at Seneca Creek State Park DGC in beautiful Gaithersburg, MD. This is the event where the Advanced AM Player is revered and celebrated!

The format will be the same one used every year. Two 18-hole rounds per day. Advanced and Masters will play Short Tees to A-pins, Long Tees to A-pins on Saturday. Long Tees to B-pins, Short Tees to C-pins on Sunday. Intermediate divisions play all 4 rounds from the Short Tees. NO 27-hole rounds. After years of having the same entry fee, I had raise prices by $5. Last year, 2 days of lunch, drinks, and ice cost $533! Advanced & Masters: $45. Intermediate and Ladies: $30. Non-PDGA (or non-current) members must add $10.

Click HERE for the tournament flier.

Like the last 2 years, I intend to petition the PDGA for a waiver to force Pro players with a rating under 970 to play in a mandatory Trophy Only category. Trophy Only will be available for a nominal fee of $10 (which doesn't even cover your lunch + PDGA dues). IMHO, this has been a great success in that it practically eliminates sandbagging. Now, the <970 Pro player who would never even consider playing this event CAN play in it guilt free. He is not competing for the AM prizes, just the PDGA points... which no one loses much sleep over. I encourage Pro players with a rating <970 who love playing Seneca to COME OUT for the MAAC. It's only going to cost you $10, you get to play 4 rounds of tournament golf, and your results will get turned into the PDGA + lunch! If there's a downside to this deal, it's hard for me to see it. All previous Advanced AM "winners" /OR/ non-first placers who received a disc golf basket get to play for FREE (I'll cover your $3 fee) but must play Trophy Only.

I will ask the PDGA for the following waiver:

"The PDGA has granted the 20xx Mid-Atlantic AM Championship (EVENT) being held on July 23rd and 24th the following waiver:

The EVENT may restrict all players currently classified as a professional but allowed to compete under the "Pros playing Am" to compete as trophy only. It should be noted that there are no restrictions on players currently classified as amateurs.

This waiver is valid only for the event in question and is non-transferrable. The event must re-apply for this waiver if desired in the future."

Since there has been no problem granting it the last 2 years, I'm anticipating there will be no problem this year.

On-line registration will be up and running soon. I haven't set it up yet, but will as soon as I can. On-line registration ROCKS, however, snail mail registration is always available (see the flier) as will day-of-event signups. There will NEVER be a registration late fee for this event.

Hole Sponsorship is only $25 and all proceeds will go directly toward FEEDING the field, i.e. lunch, sodas, ice, etc. The goal is to have a cook out like previous years. If you could sponsor a hole, please do! (I need 20 sponsors @ $25 to break even on lunch). Also, if you could sponsor a grill, that would be AWESOME. Make no mistake, the cook out lunch is a HUGE endeavor. My extreme gratitude goes out to guys like JG, Teddy G, Dan Becker, Sean Burkett, Steve Simpson, Keith Palmer, Jake Bolinger, Tom Kim, Tom Transtrum, Ray Jones, Bill Underwood, Brad Beeson, Jim Vilkaitis, and everyone else who helps run lunch and provide drinks (esp during last year's 100 degree heat). I'm prayin' you're there for me this year too. Lunch is a BITCH, but it's genuinely gratifying to feed the masses.

INNOVA pro portable basket goes to highest finishing non-Trophy-only men's Advanced player! Fat prize payout for everyone else.

FFI, please contact John Merhi at [email protected] or 301-869-0007
"

Just wanted to bump this. I am not going to be able to play this year but its a good event and I want people to know its coming.

Latest posts