• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] 1989-2019 photo archive of PDGA-approved discs

So do I understand correctly that you guys took all the archived photos, and that it wasn't specifically part of the PDGA approval process?

I would love to see the profile pics added retroactively to all the prior molds but I understand that's unrealistic. I would say that assuming that you guys will continue to take photos of discs that are reviewed in the future, the right-angle profile views would be appreciated. Thanks for what you guys do!

So do I understand correctly that you guys took all the archived photos, and that it wasn't specifically part of the PDGA approval process?

I would love to see the profile pics added retroactively to all the prior molds but I understand that's unrealistic. I would say that assuming that you guys will continue to take photos of discs that are reviewed in the future, the right-angle profile views would be appreciated. Thanks for what you guys do!

No, taking the profile shots is not part of the PDGA approval process. I have eight discs right now that I will soon be testing, but we'll only take a shot of the top, outside under my patio cover. Every few months, though, my wife takes the other three shots (top, bottom, and side views) for archival purposes. When I first started doing the testing in 1989 we didn't even take a single shot and notices were sent out in letters. Around 2000 the process was done through email and a few years after that I added a single photo. I'm sure it may not sound like much more work to you, but multiply 1,100 discs times an additional 10 or 15 minutes more of work per disc, and I think you'll understand. And now I approved ~100 or more discs per year.

We purposefully decided to put the onus on the manufacturers to supply the profile shots for the discs for the PDGA announcement, if they want to take advantage of that. It's basically free advertising for them. But, it's their decision. Another thing to consider, in terms of not immediately supplying profile shots right after a disc is approved, some companies want to be in control of how that information is rolled out to the public. So a delay in adding to the archives in the Google Drive makes further sense.

Last edited:
This thread should be stickied to the top of the fourm forever.

This is a huge huge historical knowledge drop.

And so heres a special picture just for the occasion - a pre approved lightning fresh from dallas TX the original home of lightning discs

20200622_160904-scaled.jpg

Last edited: