• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2010 USDGC

All OB (marked by white stakes) shots in ball golf are stroke and distance,
Typically, this is only the outside boundary of the course and usually is far enough off the fairway to not come into play, especially for pros. Rarely will you see a white staked area in the normal play area of the course, unlike what's being done at the USDGC. The common red staked BG hazards play similarly to our OB hazards with last point IB from where the next shot is played.

I am not a big fan of the throw & D penalty at all. Thinking out loud......I wonder if this would work:
- String the course with Red rope around 20-30' further out than the Yellow rope.
- Throw and distance if you are past the Red ropes
- If outside the Yellow but inside the Red lose a stroke, but throw from where you land/lie (not come back to last point before crossing yellow rope - it is a hazard area, not OB).

This would encourage the most entertaining part of the game.....big bombs, but punish inaccurate big bombs. IMO it also provides good risk/reward.

Rope-a-Dope

I am not a big fan of the throw & D penalty at all. Thinking out loud......I wonder if this would work:
- String the course with Red rope around 20-30' further out than the Yellow rope.
- Throw and distance if you are past the Red ropes
- If outside the Yellow but inside the Red lose a stroke, but throw from where you land/lie (not come back to last point before crossing yellow rope - it is a hazard area, not OB).

This would encourage the most entertaining part of the game.....big bombs, but punish inaccurate big bombs. IMO it also provides good risk/reward.
I like the idea but I'm sure there will be an opposite opinion here on adding more rope!:wall:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

This made me laugh... do you watch ANY sports on TV?

I said at the event not on TV. Almost all college sports have removed alcohol from the games AND are now starting to limit tailgating to certain areas. There are talks, and if you watch pro sports you would know, about removal of alcohol from the stadiums or reducing it only to certain approved parts of the stadium, this includes tailgating. I have at least 3 friends that have received tickets for drinking in the parking lot at a Mets game.

I can't a major sport team/player that is "sponsored" by alcohol companies except in Nascar, and there are less than ever there. Like, hey I'm "Kerry Collins, drink Miller, its GREAT!" Maybe the league or major event, but im not sure... Teams are sponsored by soft drinks, athletic drinks, and clothing companies, even in college sports. Beer commercials on TV are basically separate from the event. You would see a beer commercial if DG was on TV just because it was on ESPN and a sport. The actual players wouldnt see any of this money. If I see a beer advertisement on the way to a DG tournament, it doesnt mean that it has anything to do with that tournament.

I read Avery's rant yesterday and I completely agree with him on the issue. Frankly, I don't really like OB much at all in disc golf (with the exception of good water hazards). At the championship level, I believe that a course should naturally be tough enough to force the players to make constant risk reward decisions where bad shots will get punished and good shots rewarded...all without OB. The circus that the USDGC has become is unfortunate, and I'd like to see the championship switch to different world class courses around the county: flip to idlewild to maple to turtle rock to milo...

With the throw and D comparison to golf: Golf courses do other things similar, like making greens so fast that if you miss a 1 foot putt, you can roll 80' off a green or adding bunkers/lengthening holes. You simply cannot do that at a disc golf course. Usually space is restricted an in many cases completely used. If you make it too long, you totally allienate all players who cant throw far. In DG, the range could be 350' to 650' of throwing ability. In ball golf it might be something like 275 yards to 350 yards. A smaller difference. Also, addition of something like a bunker, right where most people land in ball golf is similarily bad. It is much easier to throw out of trouble in disc golf...one of the reasons that it is so fun. In ball golf, you can make small changes that make it almost impossible to advance.

I kind of like the new rule... it evens up everything to skill, you can still launch on some of the holes but you have to do it at the right time and be accurate. Last year you could bomb some of the longer holes and have a 30' putt for birdie. Thats stupid. So many people threw rollers on 18 knowing they would still par because of where they would go OB. If they landed in bounds, great, easy 3. Thats not how golf should be played. The most skilled player will win the last USDGC for a few years, this year, because of the rules. There are no holes where you have to execute a shot over 300-320' to birdie a hole. Its a very fair layout.

I read Avery's rant yesterday and I completely agree with him on the issue. Frankly, I don't really like OB much at all in disc golf (with the exception of good water hazards). At the championship level, I believe that a course should naturally be tough enough to force the players to make constant risk reward decisions where bad shots will get punished and good shots rewarded...all without OB. The circus that the USDGC has become is unfortunate, and I'd like to see the championship switch to different world class courses around the county: flip to idlewild to maple to turtle rock to milo...

Maybe he should find the land, petition a town, present to the local enviromental board, build and design this course. Avery is never happy. He is flat out not as good as much of the top 15-20 players anymore. He has resorted to whining about the course rather than becoming a better/different disc golfer. You still see -35 type scores from his competitors. He wants wide open courses so he can bomb and is a chronic whiner. He is on the PDGA board now, right? I can't wait to see the event that he does all the work to plan and set up since he is so upset. 71 players shot better than him. I guess it is just the course...its never his throws. A 977 rated player figured out how to shoot 7 strokes better.

The circus that the USDGC has become is unfortunate, and I'd like to see the championship switch to different world class courses around the county: flip to idlewild to maple to turtle rock to milo...

I almost spat out my drink laughing at Flip, world class and championship mentioned in the same sentence. Thanks for the laugh.

It's not disc golf. It's a different version of the game. Any sports writer with any ball golf understanding would mock us for this punitive structure. Normal OB (last point IB) and selective use of the buncr rule work well for risk/reward elements in the game. It's just all risk this year for the same shot. If adding one more shot penalty to the way OB is normally played (last point IB) or the buncr rule (distance penalty only) makes things better, why not add 2, 3 or 4 to the penalty?

At some point, adding more penalties doesn't make sense, right? Is it going from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 shots where it finally doesn't make sense? The risk/reward balance was already there before. No more penalties were required. It's sort of the difference between playing capture the flag with paintballs versus live ammunition. The game is challenging enough with just paintballs.

First off disc golf is not ball golf. I played competitive high school golf in Florida and North Carolina all through high school. These are two different games. Out of bounds in ball golf is stroke and distance. Maybe you are referring to hitting the ball into a hazard which does mean you play it where it entered the hazard and lose a stroke.

I understand some of the feelings on the double penalty, but all the players are playing the same course, under the same rules. It's up to the player to adjust his or her game to meet the conditions. It's also only the first round. There are 3 rounds left for leading players to throw OB.

I think there's room for a tournament like USDGC in the sport. There are plenty of A tier tournaments that reward players for being aggressive and bombing drives. USDGC, especially this year, rewards players for employing a different skill set.

Typically, this is only the outside boundary of the course and usually is far enough off the fairway to not come into play, especially for pros. Rarely will you see a white staked area in the normal play area of the course, unlike what's being done at the USDGC. The common red staked BG hazards play similarly to our OB hazards with last point IB from where the next shot is played.

You are correct in most cases.

My self I like stroke and distance because it puts the game back in more players hands, but then again I like a shorter tighter course.

I know on our home course if our longer players had to worry about stroke and distance it would change the results for sure or the way they play the game.

It's gimmicky where some of the OB has been in Disc golf. It's artificial.

Water Hazards should be marked as hazards, not OB. Those are not stroke and distance in ball golf. OB is stroke and distance in ball golf, always has been. OB is really only used to keep people on the course though in ball golf. Or on golf property. It's never used to artificially bend a fairway or hole, etc.

Disc golf needs to take it's cue from that. OB should be very sparingly used on any holes. If you're wanting to shape lines. Do it with Mando's.

It's gimmicky where some of the OB has been in Disc golf. It's artificial.

Water Hazards should be marked as hazards, not OB. Those are not stroke and distance in ball golf. OB is stroke and distance in ball golf, always has been. OB is really only used to keep people on the course though in ball golf. Or on golf property. It's never used to artificially bend a fairway or hole, etc.

Disc golf needs to take it's cue from that. OB should be very sparingly used on any holes. If you're wanting to shape lines. Do it with Mando's.

I think you have to see the Winthrop course layout to appreciate the OB lines, either way. Scores would be -100 through 4 rounds with out it. The players are just too good. It is just too wide open with few opportunities for mando's.

I've never liked gold rope to mark OB. It's ridiculous and if it's needed, then maybe the course just isn't top notch? Take Indian Hills for example, it has hazards on almost every hole, it doesn't need gold rope.

I played Hippodrome last year for the collegiate nationals and some of the gold rope was just retarded. It basically just made everyone lay-up. I took one of the better scores and all I did was lay up, all day long. It's boring, and isn't challenging. Have a 40' putt? Go at it? Not with the gold rope around the hill that the basket it on. Layup and take a 4.

So far by watching the live coverage, I'm not too impressed with the course.

I understand some of the feelings on the double penalty, but all the players are playing the same course, under the same rules. It's up to the player to adjust his or her game to meet the conditions. It's also only the first round. There are 3 rounds left for leading players to throw OB.
Yes, they are playing the course under the same rules. I don't have any problem with the rules of THAT game but it's not the same game as disc golf. Players expect to get ratings and I'm not sure you can combine results from this USDGC game and what we have been rating. It's like combining basketball scoring stats from before the 3-pt shot was created versus after. It's pretty much the same game but would you consider it fair to combine stats and compare players' shooting stats and skills before versus after?

Last edited:
I almost spat out my drink laughing at Flip, world class and championship mentioned in the same sentence. Thanks for the laugh.

No need to be a jerk. Substitute Flip for another course that could host the championship if you will. The point is that the USDGC could be held at a number of amazing courses throughout the country (including winthrop).

Flip, and nearly any course, for that matter, could work with all those artificial o.b. lines placed everywhere. Winthorp regular, with the exception of some water holes, is not THAT intimidating of a course.
Forcing players to hit 10 foot wide spaces on every hole can be done anywhere.