• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2011 Ace Race Putter

2011 ace race discs

Did anyone notice that the discs are very inconsistent and quite frankly suck. I got 1 metal with the esp and almost got a metal at 150' with the pro-d. Yeah, i sucked horribly. Also sorry for starting a new thread up but it's kinda fun to amswer questions I think.

if you read any of the other threads, most people liked the way that they flew. if you think they suck then i think you just suck at throwing them. they are a faster putter and fly like an ultimate disc. if you can't throw them clean then your form probably needs work. sorry to rain on your parade.

As others will state there is already a quite thorough thread about this disc. And personally I love the disc, as it does what the thrower does to it. It's not very friendly for people with form flaws. I love this about it because once you learn to throw it you're also inadvertently cleaning your form up at the same time. I throw it regularly on 300' holes, and one player at our ace race with a huge arm and great form put his right at or over the 400' mark with a clean flight pattern. But his form is exceptional as the last tournament I played with him he was even throwing his aviar into a slight headwind on 320+ foot holes.

if you read any of the other threads, most people liked the way that they flew. if you think they suck then i think you just suck at throwing them. they are a faster putter and fly like an ultimate disc. if you can't throw them clean then your form probably needs work. sorry to rain on your parade.

^^^ this guy

I liked it well enough, I just needed more time to get used to it than the Ace Race would allow. Pro-D worked better for me, but it sure did beat up easily.

Since I'm a noob and this was my very first tourney of any kind, I didn't know what to expect.
I got one of each (Pro-D and ESP) type of plastic and threw for several holes with each.
IMO the Pro-D was the better of the 2, flew very straight and floated well. A great approach disc in my opinion.
My local Ace Race was last month and since then the Pro-D has been in my bag. I use it for upshots (150' or less) and sometimes will putt with it.
Putting is the worst part of my game right now, so it has been useful in that arena.
Overall, had a great time at the Ace Race (Thank you Dalaiwood Crew!) and will definitely be going next year.

Did the Ace Race today in Rochester NY - here's my thoughts on the discs -

182 Pink ESP - my discs plastic was very flexy, and tacky, although some complained theirs were too slick, I didn't find this to be a problem. It flew overstable for me, and I didn't have any problems with it turning over on me. The glide on this thing was ridiculous, it seemed like it floated with ease, and had a lot of forward carry in the fade.

169 Blue D - The D plastic was super duper tacky, and flexed very well, luckily for me mine didn't taco too bad when hitting trees, but one guy's cracked right down the middle all the way through on only his 3rd throw. This one was def. the understable of the 2, and when released flat wanted to fade hard right on me w/o coming back (RHBH) but when thrown with a little hyzer on the release it popped up flat with left fade at the end of its flight.

Overall I felt like it was a pretty decent approach type putter, has great glide and holds a decent line when thrown correctly. It absolutely reminded me of throwing a Comet, which I enjoy, so I had an idea of how to throw it. I didn't end up with any aces, and only hit metal 3-4 times, BUT I did win one of the Jumbo Putt prizes which was an Am Worlds players pack so check the marketplace for an Am Worlds Bottom Stamped Gold Star Archon, and a Blueberry VIP King.

Some people can adapt...
some can't...

First round I didn't like it... the second round I shelved the ESP, and just threw the Pro-D...
Got used to it, and it made my tourney bag...

I don't think its a bad disc, and I think it fills a niche...in my bag at least...

I LOVED the pro D! Got my first Ace with it! I am DEAD ON with it - took 6-8 strokes off my game. I really hope they approve them. (NOW!!!)

don't like it either... but it is fun to throw.. just too squirrelly at any distance beyond 100ft.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news and while the Pro D gets a little squirrelly but the ESP wont get remotely squirelly even over 3-320 unless the archer is having form issues. I throw it regularly at 300' and it is stable and super controllable. It doesn't even flip unless there's a headwind over 7 even at those distances or I clearly introd e OAT into my throw.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news and while the Pro D gets a little squirrelly but the ESP wont get remotely squirelly even over 3-320 unless the archer is having form issues. I throw it regularly at 300' and it is stable and super controllable. It doesn't even flip unless there's a headwind over 7 even at those distances or I clearly introd e OAT into my throw.

This^. I parked a 250' uphill hole today with my ESP disc, and a little later threw past a 300' flat hole with it when going for the ace run (yes, I made the 25' comeback putt :))

It wasn't too bad of a disc; had 1 ace + 1 metal. I don't know where it would fit in my line up since I already have a comet + esp banger. I saw it as a putter version of my esp comet.

It floats like a champ compared to any putter I've had.

ok.. if you think that's what i mean by squirrelly, then think more chimpmonky. We had 3 100+ holes at our ace race.. 2 were just shy of 200 feet. I would throw my Pro-d on a laser line straight at the basket and low. it would hold that line until the last 20 feet of flight, which is when the disc would decide to turn slight left or fade slightly right and miss the basket... so darn random with zero external forces that ChrisHysell dubbed the disc's name "The Repeller" (opposite of magnet). Because no matter what kind of line the disc was on, the last 20 feet of flight were random.

The ESP is getting a shot at becoming my putter and under 100' approach disc. Very consistent in holding a line.