• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2011 Ace Race Putter

ok.. if you think that's what i mean by squirrelly, then think more chimpmonky. We had 3 100+ holes at our ace race.. 2 were just shy of 200 feet. I would throw my Pro-d on a laser line straight at the basket and low. it would hold that line until the last 20 feet of flight, which is when the disc would decide to turn slight left or fade slightly right and miss the basket... so darn random with zero external forces that ChrisHysell dubbed the disc's name "The Repeller" (opposite of magnet). Because no matter what kind of line the disc was on, the last 20 feet of flight were random.

I think this is what I was seeing last night. Guy I was playing with did pretty good half the time with it...the rest of the time, it dropped either way about 20-30 feet from its final resting place. Its definitely a strange one. I think the cause can be discovered...but its gonna take a while.

And personally I love the disc, as it does what the thrower does to it. It's not very friendly for people with form flaws.

I heard several highly rated players complain about consistency with this disc, namely Patrick Brown and Greg Barsby. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not just a form issue. This disc is squirrely.

Our ace race setup only had a couple holes where I had to throw anything other than a hyzer with it, RHBH. So I got to throw it about 30 times on the same hyzer line at distances between 80'-180' or so. I never once flipped it. I just didn't give it much juice and it reliably came in from right to left for me. I had one ace and three metal hits.

Since I registered late and had to borrow one, I still haven't gotten mine mailed to me to field test yet.

I think the inconsistency comes from people not checking the flight plate for gremlins (and removing them) before they throw it. Those bastards wreak havoc on flight paths, planes and discs alike.
noghtmare.jpg

Every disc is consistent if you have perfect technique. This disc obviously magnifies form flaws, which means it's touchy. It doesn't make it a bad disc, but it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

I am liking this disc more every time I throw it. Last Saturday I drove with it on 14 holes at our mini. I only got beat by two of the pros as I shot my personal best at the course with this disc. I wish it had a name...

Approval coming today?

The Hornet was approved last year on Friday November 19th. It looks like this year's disc will be approved Friday November 18th.

From Discraft on Facebook:
It has been named, now waiting on PDGA approval, which may happen yet today(!) Stay tuned.

I heard several highly rated players complain about consistency with this disc, namely Patrick Brown and Greg Barsby. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not just a form issue. This disc is squirrely.

Considering both of those guys threw it at my Ace Race (Barsby stayed at my house...) and I never heard any of that...:confused:

The disc isn't squirrely. Is it understable? Yes. Is it speed sensitive? Yes it's a putter.

The Hornet was approved last year on Friday November 19th. It looks like this year's disc will be approved Friday November 18th.

From Discraft on Facebook:

Wow, I sure hope its approved already. Ive got a tournament next weekend and I took it out of my bag because I didnt want to be used to using the disc so much and then not be able to throw it next weekend.

Wow, I sure hope its approved already. Ive got a tournament next weekend and I took it out of my bag because I didnt want to be used to using the disc so much and then not be able to throw it next weekend.

that has been my comment to a lot of people in my area who keep raving about it and using it a ton. It isnt gonna do them any good if you cant legally throw it. Wait and see what happens and throw it here and there to get a better feel for it but dont make it your go to because you could turn out to be sorely disappointed.

There's no question that it will be approved, it's clearly within limits to be a legal mold and it sounds lime it's already been submitted. Throw it all you want, it's a safe bet it'll be legal very soon.

There's no question that it will be approved, it's clearly within limits to be a legal mold and it sounds lime it's already been submitted. Throw it all you want, it's a safe bet it'll be legal very soon.

Problem is, the sanctioned event Im playing is in 7 days. If it is not yet approved before then it is not in my best interest to keep it in my bag for the next week.

Yea, the only people that probably shouldn't have been using it this whole time are the people playing in tournaments. I was lucky enough that the only tournament I have played in since Summer was the week after the Ace Race I played in, so I wasn't used to throwing it anyway. Not being able to use it in that tournament didn't affect me at all. I asked about using it in our minis each Saturday and they didn't care, so once I knew that, I put it in my bag and have been using it ever since.

This disc has become my favorite disc to throw. I love to pull this disc out on holes that most people are reaching for a driver to throw off the tee. It isn't even understable, it is the most neutral disc that I have thrown (in ESP, the Pro-d is another story).

Yea, the only people that probably shouldn't have been using it this whole time are the people playing in tournaments.

Only if they are PDGA tournaments or (in non-PDGA tournaments) if the TD specifically said only PDGA-approved discs.

The reason why people think it's "squirrely" is probably due to the fact that it doesn't like to fade. It's difficult to get used to, but even clean form on a smooth hyzer or straight shot is unpredictable for normal people. It just doesn't fade, it keeps going on a very slow smooth fade. If it's thrown slightly nose up on a hyzer, you might expect it to fade and drop at a certain time and time that for an ace run, just to see it fly past the basket on the initial flight path.

That's if you have smooth form, if you have bad form, well... you're unpredictable, not the disc. The disc easily makes 340+ on a controlled line, without turn and burn. Those that can't throw it 200' without flipping it over have form problems.

The reason why people think it's "squirrely" is probably due to the fact that it doesn't like to fade. It's difficult to get used to, but even clean form on a smooth hyzer or straight shot is unpredictable for normal people. It just doesn't fade, it keeps going on a very slow smooth fade. If it's thrown slightly nose up on a hyzer, you might expect it to fade and drop at a certain time and time that for an ace run, just to see it fly past the basket on the initial flight path.

That's if you have smooth form, if you have bad form, well... you're unpredictable, not the disc. The disc easily makes 340+ on a controlled line, without turn and burn. Those that can't throw it 200' without flipping it over have form problems.

Well put...no exaggeration, everybody who has told me they hate the disc at, and since, my Ace Race fits that bad form category.

Thinking of playing in a tourney this weekend. Can't do without my go-to upshot disc. Any word on whether this thing is named or approved?

No and no... at least not officially. It's in the process right now and it has been named, but that won't be released until it is official.

From Discrafts facebook page

Whole lotta love: The 2011 Ace Race disc is now legal for PDGA tournament play. It's new name is Zeppelin.

Latest posts