• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2011 national collegiate championships

Everyone should try to swing out to the IDGC to see the museum, Pro Shop, PDGA HQ and the complex in general, even if you don't have time to play a course there.

Everyone should try to swing out to the IDGC to see the museum, Pro Shop, PDGA HQ and the complex in general, even if you don't have time to play a course there.

A few guys from Oregon went out last time, but I don't remember anyone else going. With events all day, it was hard to get time to go over there :\ I've heard it's a great place to visit, and I'd love to swing by this year. Any tips for a whirlwind tour like spectacular holes or neat memorabilia to see?

Several of the downhill holes with water tee off near the HQ building. The building isn't that big so it only takes maybe 15-30 minutes to make it thru plus whatever time you want to spend in the pro shop.

From Google maps, it looks like approximately a 45 minute drive. PDGA site is being really finicky again (which is becoming really annoying over the last month for me), but I see that they have specific hours and such. Are the pro-shop offerings more geared towards memorabilia? Checked out the map, and I agree that there are a few holes that could be really close to the HQ. Might be neat to play a hole of each of them. What are the chances you could play a 3 disc round and really run through those courses? Wouldn't have time to truly appreciate them, but after 4 days of golf I'd probably be interested in speed-playing a course or two. Would a round of glow be an option?

Pro shop has standard stock items but good variety of manufacturers. Nothing really collectible. These are not really speed golf courses. All three are as wooded as Hogback. You could maybe play the special hilly nine Steady Ed loop (1-5, 15-18) and either Jackson nine and either Warner nine with 3 discs. Not sure glow has been done there although camping is right by the Warner course.

I wish the University of West Georgia would get a team together. I know there are a few of us that play on a regular basis, and try to hit up some of the other courses in the area. If this wasn't my last semester I would probably try and get the ball rolling, but I will be outta here in the next couple months.

A few guys from Oregon went out last time, but I don't remember anyone else going. With events all day, it was hard to get time to go over there :\ I've heard it's a great place to visit, and I'd love to swing by this year. Any tips for a whirlwind tour like spectacular holes or neat memorabilia to see?

CSUMB also made it out there on the Monday after the tournament. We only had time to play the Steady Ed course and browse the museum, but it was well worth the trip before we headed to the airport!

and--best of all--lunch for each day.

Make sure you don't have any vegetarians on your team, however! CSUMB may have been alone on this.. but we were kinda bummed about the lunches. One day they served us Chick-Fil-A sandwiches with absolutely no vegetarian option. Fast food, really? A few of us had to end up going elsewhere for lunch a few of the days. We left some comments on the questionnaire, but they really should rethink the food choices for this years event.

Make sure you don't have any vegetarians on your team, however! CSUMB may have been alone on this.. but we were kinda bummed about the lunches. One day they served us Chick-Fil-A sandwiches with absolutely no vegetarian option. Fast food, really? A few of us had to end up going elsewhere for lunch a few of the days. We left some comments on the questionnaire, but they really should rethink the food choices for this years event.

While fast food may not have been the best option, I thought it was great that they provided something. Hell, MSRP of all the stuff they gave us was at least double the admission. I'm just happy they coordinated well and had a plan in place :thmbup: I'm sure they'll improve every year. As for the course on the way out--that sounds like a pretty good idea. If they open at 7AM we might make a stop before we head up North for 12 hours :|

Hot off the presses:
NCDGC said:
First and foremost, let's get the big news out of the way. Thanks to a lot of hard work, dedication, and coordination, we are going to be broadcasting the 2011 NCDGC's LIVE across the country and around the world by our friends at DiscGolfPlanet.tv. The same company that has brought you the USDGC's and will be presenting the 2011 PDGA National Tour will be on site all week showing the disc golf world how we play disc golf. That means you better bring your best game and your best uniforms. Make sure you watch the DiscGolfPlanet.tv LIVE presentation of The Memorial this weekend at www.discgolfplanet.tv.

This is fantastic news. Really not something I expected, but I'm delighted that we can show the sport to more people. We're a month out, and we need to put the final touches on our team strategy and some parts of our game. How is everyone else doing preparation wise? Certainly helps if you're down South in Georgia already :)

we are doing all we can to get ready. we have our fundraiser tourney march 19. setting up a temp course on campus which i got to help design and that was a blast. we've been practicing with kris orrick and he has been a great help. he's already added 50-100 feet to everybody's drive and we are learning important strategy from him as well. we are leading an intercollegiate point series between schools in western north carolina. we have two tourneys left to play in that. we finished 8th out of 18 at the SECO and i feel like everyone on the team has improved so i'm excited to see how we do at nationals. we should still have some cfr teerex-x's to trade.

Less than 3 weeks away now... This is going to be an amazing event. Teams are encouraged to bring a canopy tent and school spirit items for the Player's Village. It will be located along hole 17's fairway this year. Also, matching uniforms are required for all rounds, not just Sunday. If anyone has any questions, send an email to [email protected].

Less than 3 weeks away now... This is going to be an amazing event. Teams are encouraged to bring a canopy tent and school spirit items for the Player's Village. It will be located along hole 17's fairway this year. Also, matching uniforms are required for all rounds, not just Sunday. If anyone has any questions, send an email to [email protected].

Where did you find the piece about uniforms required for all rounds? I only saw Sunday and that's what it was last year.

Just got invited by my school club at Appalachian State University to play with them. Im stoked, i have played in my fair share of tourneys and weekly doubles but this is going to be by far the biggest one ive competed in yet. I plan on going down to hickory this weekend if the weather allows it and practice as much as possible since boone, nc doesnt have a course and i dont have a practice basket...