• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2012 Discraft Ace Race Disc

Nope... Wrong guy.
I hate reading 75 page threads looking for info just like I hate reading forum fanboys comment on everything.

(post 11 in 11 months)

Really? Seems easy to find the necessary info in like 5 posts........

Nope... Wrong guy.
I hate reading 75 page threads looking for info just like I hate reading forum fanboys comment on everything.

(post 11 in 11 months)

We got a touch off topic as far as the disc itself goes but we were always on an ace race topic. I apologize if it made you read more. ;) This thread has been back and forth with just ace race general talk a lot so I didn't think it was a big deal. Not sure what the "forum fanboy" crack was about and in the end don't care. Lighten up, enjoy yourself Bro, it was 20 posts in a thread of 800+. If your page is setup as it probably should be to read 40 posts per page, it was half a page. It's gonna be okay......jb
/done

The TD was off his rocker. First place gets all discs and the bag. All TD's follow this rule. Thats great he bought pizzas. What does this have to do with winning the ace race. What a jack ass. The ace race I played in the TD had a handful of extra discs to give away. Thanks Scott. It was a great ace race.

Thank you. I hope I picked out a good selection for those prize discs.

As someone pointed earlier, there is a lot on the line for TDs/ Leagues that run such an event. Much has to come out of pocket to get things up and running. Thankfully we nearly sold out of the packages we purchased, but with Discraft announcing the disc so late, most people missed the window to pre-register. We had to guess how many people could possibly show up and then put all those remainder packages on one of our credit cards (thankfully they had a large available balance). Despite many phone calls and very detailed and exhausting emails discussing money during those last few days before the tournament, the last thing we wanted to do is worry about whether we are pulling in enough people to make it "profitable." Once you starting making everything a numbers game, it is no longer fun to host. The players are quick to pick up on that.

When we had our tournament meeting with our league, before we made any other decisions about logistics or money, the first thing we answered was, are we in it for profit or in it for the experience? The overwhelming answer was experience. Yes, we did ask for a little money for lunch and for the side games, that did help offset many of the costs, but we determined early on that if the experience cuts into the profits, so be it. Hopefully the players saw that we were having a blast putting on the tournament and that we would do it again in a heartbeat.

I cannot, however, necessarily defend that particular TD. Discraft made it very clear about what TDs can and cannot do. We could not split up the package, we cannot force players to pay more than 25 dollars, and if we wanted to do something that distinguishes us from other tournaments, it had to be done out of pocket.

Hopefully again we put on a good show in Becker and people will want to come out next year. We are going to try to make it bigger (30 baskets instead of 26, and in a new layout), maybe even better prizes, and now with more experience we should be able to run an even smoother show.

The touney i played we had to slip packageds untill the others got theirs shiped to them. We had to throw 2 discs off every pad and then have a guy out there to pick up disc bring them back so others could throw.

As for the disc itself and getting back on the disc topic, we had numerous players who could not stop talking about how great of a disc it was. Too bad they did not get themselves on camera discussing it. I kept asking players to do that but I think time and activities just got the better of them.

The disc itself is not a great Ace Race disc, at least not in the 120-150 foot range. We had very few aces and metal strikes. However, the disc is very controllable and I cannot even begin to count how many times people were within a foot here or there of hitting the target. In previous years, the Ace Race disc seemed hit or miss because you would have to power it up to get it to its destination. Form issues would creep in and aces seem more a product of luck than anything else. Of the two aces I had last year, one was on the line I wanted, the other just happened to find the basket when I was actually just trying to park it (we were playing a Birdie or Go Home Round).

This year with these discs, I was running the basket with a lot of confidence. The one metal hit I did have was just a nick, but if I could put on the scorecard how many times I was within inches, it would have been at least 18 out of 52. Inches. Ultimately I do not think it will make the bag, but only because my bag is very solidified in what I have. If I was, however, only playing a one disc round or was forced to have it in my bag, it would have no negative bearing in how I play. For example, at Plymouth Creek (one of my two home courses), I can easily play 5 to 6 down on a par 38 twelve hole course. I have pretty much everything dialed in. I can do this with my big, I can do it when only carrying a putter and a mid. If I were to take just the Ace Race disc I am sure at worst I would only be two or so down, and mainly because of putting with a driver.

I really like this disc.

Just got done with the Bull City Disc golf Club's Ace Race in Durham, NC. I really like that disc! It was tough for an ace race because, well, drivers are tough for ace races haha. I managed to win with 2 aces. But I really do like the disc. On the holes where I put too much on it, I put waaaaay too much on it and it went forever. I really like the glide on it. Also seems like you can put it on whatever line you want and it will hold it. Great disc and Great times! I really hope this sucker makes it into production.

Just got done with the Bull City Disc golf Club's Ace Race in Durham, NC. I really like that disc! It was tough for an ace race because, well, drivers are tough for ace races haha. I managed to win with 2 aces. But I really do like the disc. On the holes where I put too much on it, I put waaaaay too much on it and it went forever. I really like the glide on it. Also seems like you can put it on whatever line you want and it will hold it. Great disc and Great times! I really hope this sucker makes it into production.

Nice work tater!

Played an ace race today. Like the disc, not awesome at ace race distances.

For me, it flew with next to 0 turn and a noticeable fade. I think it could outreach my buzzzes without issue. Sort of an olf-mini flight

Id rate its speed at 6, turn at -.5 and fade at 2 in innova numbers. It would be a good disc between mids and and control drivers

After completing an ace race today and getting a little work in with the disc my thoughts on the disc are as follows (this is coming from someone who has a little more power than most players)

I got a 174g yellow and 174g red. The disc is very straight when thrown with little effort. Try to put too much on it and it will turn over... really gun it and you'd better give it enough height and room to move because it gets a little flippy. It's an interesting disc but I wonder how it will hold up after it breaks in since it seems to be a bit of a finesse disc when new. I had a hard time powering down with this disc for the ace race holes, the disc seems to have a ton of glide on it. I heard someone comparing these to TLs but I've never had a TL that turned as easy as this did for me. It reminds me more of a lightly worn eagle.

I did win our distance contest with a throw around 420' but I would never trust this disc to do that consistently.

After completing an ace race today and getting a little work in with the disc my thoughts on the disc are as follows (this is coming from someone who has a little more power than most players)

I got a 174g yellow and 174g red. The disc is very straight when thrown with little effort. Try to put too much on it and it will turn over... really gun it and you'd better give it enough height and room to move because it gets a little flippy. It's an interesting disc but I wonder how it will hold up after it breaks in since it seems to be a bit of a finesse disc when new. I had a hard time powering down with this disc for the ace race holes, the disc seems to have a ton of glide on it. I heard someone comparing these to TLs but I've never had a TL that turned as easy as this did for me. It reminds me more of a lightly worn eagle.

I did win our distance contest with a throw around 420' but I would never trust this disc to do that consistently.

In Oshkosh or Green Bay? I played Oshkosh and I have a slightly different assessment. When I threw it under normal power I could work the disc like my TL. The only way it would stay on a anny route was with a powerful toss, but it would hold it. Threw it powered down and it came out super quick into a lot of fade. I was having a hard time with the glide as well when trying to hit from 100-150'. Most of my close shots were a foot too high right over the basket. I loved how it held a anny, strait or hyzer line under my normal tee offs after the ace race from 225-275' which is exactly what my TL does for me except this is not as long, has more glide and a lot more fade. I could throw it pretty far, but around the 250ish range I feel it's pretty solid. I recently lost my Leopard and this is easier to get and hold a shorter anhyzer line than my TL so it's in my bag until I can get my Leopard replaced.

It sounds like I need to practice for the Race with my TL, and QJLS. Maybe a fresh champ Leo would be similar too.

In Oshkosh or Green Bay? I played Oshkosh and I have a slightly different assessment. When I threw it under normal power I could work the disc like my TL. The only way it would stay on a anny route was with a powerful toss, but it would hold it. Threw it powered down and it came out super quick into a lot of fade. I was having a hard time with the glide as well when trying to hit from 100-150'. Most of my close shots were a foot too high right over the basket. I loved how it held a anny, strait or hyzer line under my normal tee offs after the ace race from 225-275' which is exactly what my TL does for me except this is not as long, has more glide and a lot more fade. I could throw it pretty far, but around the 250ish range I feel it's pretty solid. I recently lost my Leopard and this is easier to get and hold a shorter anhyzer line than my TL so it's in my bag until I can get my Leopard replaced.

I was at the Oshkosh one. It doesn't sound to me like our experiences were that different, it sounds like the disc flew the same for us... our differences are more around our history with TLs not the 2012 AR disc.

Just got the chance to throw the ace race disc today -- seems to fly a LOT like my QJLS. Heard a lot of people comparing it to their Teebirds too, but I don't know how accurate that is.

I got a 165-167 and a 177+ -- the heavier disc was a lot flatter, and seemed significantly more overstable (at least to me). I had thoughts of selling the heavier one, but I may just have to keep it.

Unless someone has a new Evo or Glo Wizard they want to trade ... ;)

I just won my local ace race...2 aces and three metal hits took it.
Leopard is what came to mind although it is wider ...lots of fun was had.
A guy who barely throws 250 finished right behind me with 1 ace and three metals.
And he is 53 years old and been playing for 2 years...
Good job Discraft! Most bang for the buck at any tourney period.

Congrats NosteveLa. Was there a prototype disc in the bag of discs you won?
Thanks peabody
There was not, but some dude left one on the course with no name or #.
Waited around an extra 90 minutes to see if he came back for it, but he did not.
Bag contained:
170-172 Pro D Banger Gt
175-176 Pro D Soft Magnet
175-176 Tie Dyed Elite Z Buzzz
173-174 Esp Flx XL
170-172 Esp Nuke
167-169 Esp Cyclone
170-172 Elite Z Nuke SS
and trophy buzzz.

I got a chance to throw the disc today. It was 175g. My thoughts are that it flies like a Buzzz, but I had to throw it like a Comet. I actually parked two holes with it. Very workable disc. So... Buzzz with more glide? More stable Comet? Comet OS?

Could someone compare the rim of this disc to some others?

Also has anyone been throwing it FH? I'm primarily a RHFH thrower.

Maybe a profile pic?

Could someone compare the rim of this disc to some others?

Also has anyone been throwing it FH? I'm primarily a RHFH thrower.

Maybe a profile pic?

The rim is a lot like a Stalker without the mico bead. It does fly like a longer Buzzz. Its different. Kind of Stalker, Leopard, Jackal like. I see it making its way into some peoples bags. I'll try and get a pic for you. (Matt, you did throw that thing VERY well!)

Ace race 2012 is red (on the right) Stalker is orange

Attachments

• 2012-08-26 19.38.50.jpg
    2012-08-26 19.38.50.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 2012-08-26 19.39.31.jpg
    2012-08-26 19.39.31.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 85