• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2012 Discraft Ace Race Disc

Im still keeping up with the MVP plastic. My Anode, Axis, and Vector get more airtime than anything else in the bag. I think it'll be good to be back.

Of the three Ace Race discs I've thrown, overstable never comes to mind. I guess it isn't like a Comet, because a Comet is a reliable disc. Maybe if you're powering the discs down for 150' Ace Race holes it's "slightly overstable". However, if you get the disc up to it's intended speed, it's an understable fairway driver. The disc has too much glide, and is therefore unpredictable. Another stinker just like last year's Zeppelin.

I just participated in one. A longer Buzzz or a low-speed, somewhat understable fairway driver seems to be an accurate description.

27 players, five aces, and about ten metal hits at my ace race. Two players tied with 2A, 1M and played off with a CTP. The tournament director ended up winning. :p

In previous years the TD said the holes were too long and resulted in too few aces and some women players couldn't even reach them, so they were short this year. Yet they were perhaps almost too short - it was tough to underpower the 2012 disc enough. It'd shape a clean line but the line had to be the right height from the moment it left your hand AND on the right line because the holes were too short to get the disc to flex back.

Seems like a good disc though, and perhaps fills a hole in DC's lineup. If they promote it as a control driver that'd be the best thing, I think. Stop calling everything a distance driver.

Another disc I really enjoy like the Zeppelin last year. The disc rewards clean form, and fits in a nice tweener range between longer fairway drivers and driving mids. It has enough stability to handle power without turning over, but not so much that it hyzers out unintentionally on a straight shot over 250'. This should get a lot of use between 300-350 with its line shaping potential. The glide makes It great for low ceilings as well.. It will most likely make my bag. I won with 1 ace and 4 metals this year. There was only one other ace, bu like myself several other players were within a foot or two dozens of times.

Took one to a field with my kid earlier today - had to release it on a hyzer line because it wanted to stand up and turn so much. But once I got that down it started gliding pretty nicely. Not sure I'd use it into the wind.

Since it's Z plastic it might make a good roller. Not as flippy as my beat DX Valk (which flips even when I don't want it to).

Played in an Ace Race last weekend in Fort Collins, CO. It was snowing and windy. I really didn't like this disc for the hole length but I could see it being useful. It was too windy and the holes were too short to have much fun with it there.

Another disc I really enjoy like the Zeppelin last year. The disc rewards clean form, and fits in a nice tweener range between longer fairway drivers and driving mids. It has enough stability to handle power without turning over, but not so much that it hyzers out unintentionally on a straight shot over 250'. This should get a lot of use between 300-350 with its line shaping potential. The glide makes It great for low ceilings as well.. It will most likely make my bag. I won with 1 ace and 4 metals this year. There was only one other ace, bu like myself several other players were within a foot or two dozens of times.

Congrats on being the first person in this thread to give an accurate description of the disc.

People who think this is a leopard or comet need to definitely clean up their form, or throw a broader range of discs.

i guess it would be better stated as it punishes bad form more then other discs. for those of us that have been around long enough to remember the x storm it reminds me of how they flew right out the box. I would have to say it flies like a longer z comet shorter x cyclone. Love this disc it is pushing the super stingray for my favorite disc of the year.

MST and Joe's Flight Charts

So if people had to assign ratings in the MST style and the Joe's Flight Charts style, what would they be?

thought more and changed my mind and think i gave it to much HSS
4 -1 1.5 3

25 Bonus discs for Detroit Area Ace Racers in St. Clair Shores, MI, Oct. 20th:

(Registration is now closed! BUT - some nice ace racers might be willing to let you buy ($10 to them) or borrow ($10 paid to the event) one of their discs to play.)

z nuke (2) 170-172 & 173-174 (orange, blue)
z nuke ss (2) 170-172 (blue, green)
z surge ss (2) 170-172 & 173-174 (clear yellow)
z flash 170-172 (red)
z avenger ss 167-169 (green)
z flick 173-174 (red)
z stalker 173-174 (orange)

esp avenger ss 164-166 (red)
esp surge 167-169 (red)
flx surge 170-172 (burnt orange)
esp nuke (2) 170-172 (light orange)
esp flash 167-169 (bright yellow)

z buzzz 173-174 (red)
z buzzz ss 175-176 (clear yellow)
z comet 175-176 (clear yellow)
z wasp 173-174 (yellow)
z glide 175-176 (purple)

flx buzzz 173-174 (white with gold stamp)
esp buzzz 175-176 (white)

esp zone 173-174 (purple)
flx challenger 173-174 (red)

How to Win:

It's basically a draft, after the event.

Random holes will be drawn 1 at a time.
The best score on that hole during the ace race gets to go on a 1 disc shopping spree. Ace beats metal. CTP to break ties.

We'll do that 20 times total.

5 discs go to the "losers pool". Those with blank scorecards will turn them in and 5 lucky losers will get 1 disc each.

If we don't have 20 bonus winners, extras will go to the losers pool to give out.

Grand Prize winner is not eligible to win bonus discs. He or she already has a bag full of discs and a trophy buzzz at this point!

Last edited:
So if people had to assign ratings in the MST style and the Joe's Flight Charts style, what would they be?

Money put it right on the...well you know.

For a simpler answer, it falls right into box 6I on MST's flight chart. I like the disc. Unfortunately I already carry a Buzzz and Ti Stalker. So it doesn't have a place in my main bag setup. GREAT disc for a 6-discish bag, though.

Money put it right on the...well you know.

For a simpler answer, it falls right into box 6I on MST's flight chart. I like the disc. Unfortunately I already carry a Buzzz and Ti Stalker. So it doesn't have a place in my main bag setup. GREAT disc for a 6-discish bag, though.

Sounds about right. I have it at -1, 1, 3 on Joe's Flight Chart.

Stalker-Leopard like

Had a blast at the Ace Race at Hart Park in Bakersfield last weekend. Course was set up well and they shortened the tees even shorter for the second round. The disc is a 6-7 speed understableish fairway driver. Kind of between a stalker and a leopard. The winner of ours had a single ace and two metals, so the competition was tough. Gratz to Raider Mike for winning the grand prize. We also had disc prizes for ring of fires and long drive.

Ace Waste

Yeah , after my first Ace Waste was postponed due to no discs , I signed up for another one and I've just blown it off.

I drove 4 hours only to find out the discs weren't there in Kamloops.

It's ONLY 2 hours to the Burnaby Vancouver course but I don't care for the disc
( threw mine in the field after I finally got my pack ) ,so I couldn't care less about it .

I can understand why my local course wanted nothing to do with the Ace Waste , even after I lobbied for one.

Kinda makes next years decision easy.....:wall:

The ace race is nothing more than a chance to participate in an organized DG event and have some fun. If you are out looking for more than that you will likely be disappointed. Odds are the disc is not going to be as good as the ones you have been throwing for the last year and are in your bag for reason. The event is what you make of it. We had a blast at ours and will continue to participate as long as they are available.