• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 DG Tour - Minneapolis and Northern Wisconsin

Day 6 - Rollin Ridge and Winter Park. Rollin Ridge - course of the trip so far. If you were wondering what this interloper was doing in the top ten, wonder no more. Just get there and see for yourself. This place has everything. EVERYTHING! It was tough tearing myself away to play Winter Park, but as they say, the road goes ever on. Winter Park was a bit of a disappointment. Endless 220' long 8' wide holes. Let's mix it up people. One big downhill shot was not enough to save it. By far the weakest of the three that I played in this part of the state. Strangest sight of the day, a big group of Amish people playing baseball. Might be the norm around here, but for a California boy, it was wonderfully bizarre. Today is Standing Rocks and Big Eau Pleine. Rollin Ridge, I'll be back...

Glad you enjoyed the Ridge!!! It really is an amazing place to play disc golf. Sorry, Winter disappointed ya.

Winter Park was a bit of a disappointment. Endless 220' long 8' wide holes. Let's mix it up people. One big downhill shot was not enough to save it. By far the weakest of the three that I played in this part of the state.

2nd such a reactionary and inaccurate post about Winter Park in a week. Strange.

It is funny/bizarre that 4 holes of 27 that are "220' long 8' wide holes" (7, 8, 8E, 9) turn into "Endless"......but I guess you can't control the way certain holes get etched on people's minds. Maybe it is the lack of oxygen in the brain after hiking all the way up top where those holes are. :)

My response.

BTW, I too felt like there were 1-2 too many of these holes and told the designer that....but it is a 27 hole course and the incredible variety of other holes more than make up for that. Those are good holes and an appropriate test of real DG skills - lots of people have trouble throwing dead straight for 200-250'. The lack of that essential skill should be punished by a real DG course.

Day 7 - Standing Rocks and Big Eau Pleine. I won't fault the courses. I just played like a complete a$$hole today. Couldn't hit a putt to save my life. None of my drives going where I wanted them. Found out about stinging nettles. Lost a disc in said stinging nettles. Yada yada yada. Somebody get me some tequila, stat!

Where are you tomorrow? I am in Escanaba MI tonight playing a local course then heading to Florence WI for their 18 holer and considereing a revisit to Sandy Point . . . on top of a private camp course nearby . . . before heading to Wautoma, WI for a golf tourney on Sunday and Monday.

Where are you tomorrow? I am in Escanaba MI tonight playing a local course then heading to Florence WI for their 18 holer and considereing a revisit to Sandy Point . . . on top of a private camp course nearby . . . before heading to Wautoma, WI for a golf tourney on Sunday and Monday.

Sandy Point probably around 11 and then on to Highbridge.

I doubt I can make it there by 11 . . . and I have to head south . . . its a shame we couldnt make it work at the same time. Have a good time . . . I may hit Sandy Point if I have time *probably between 1-5PM) otherwise I am headed south.

Day 8 - Sandy Point and Highbridge Hills. I found Sandy Point to be very similar to Standing Rocks. Just a fun old school course. Threw a lot of putters and mids off the tee. Lots of shot shaping. I would have liked to play another round, but had to head HH. Played Blueberry and Woodland Greens in the afternoon. Blueberry was a great course, but I still have to give the nod to Rollin Ridge. Now a gripe. Is it really necessary to leave piles of cans and bottles at every friggin tee? You do realize they weigh far less when they're empty. Pack in, pack out. It's not a difficult concept. Sitting this morning out to wait for the weather to clear. Hopefully, I can play the rest of the Highbridge courses this afternoon.

Day 9 - No golf today. Weather was ugly and I needed a rest. I drove out to HH to give it a look, but thought better of it. Nobody was playing. So, that changes things a bit. New plan is to finish Highbridge tomorrow (Granite Ridge, Gold, the Bear). Then move Mont du Lac to Tuesday morning and finish at Hidden Lake that afternoon. Weather looks good for the rest of the trip.

I would suggest Bear 1st as its the most punishing (and confusing unless signs have been fixed) and Gold last as it is least punishing......even though it's the longest.

Jealous.