• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Discraft Ace Race

I like your optimism, if nothing else. Don't worry though, I'll let you be the one to hand me my winnings!:D

Dude, I may have a caddy. That should give me a HUGE advantage since I won't have to lug around those two heavy discs for two rounds. :D

Yeah, that's just you, or maybe it's where you live. Here in the Great Lakes region of the country...

Regardless of color, I'm stoked to get my hands on a pair of these babies Saturday. hen I have trouble ranging a disc BH, I tend to throw thumber and maybe a little FH. How have these discs performed with these throws for people?

I'm in central minnesota (and a goalie :D) so it's pretty awesome having all 4 seasons to play in. My post was more directed at DC, although I doubt they read our dribble here... Was not meant to put people down. Yellow / orange stuff is great all year until fall, when they disappear. However, I still think If they had much more bright gold, yellow, silver, blue, we would be happier than 200 discs of light green, green, dark green, and purple. Half and half would give people those choices that we're debating which is better.

Remember this post? This was exciting! Now we're all bummed. Seriously, was this photoshopped??

The rim is about the size of an Avengers. It looks faster than a Leopard but less stable. I was surprised to get 5 different colors. There was only 1 of the dark green ones...that's mine. It was raining so I haven't thrown it.

About to go play my first ever ace race in a few hrs. The td updated the info on Thursday than now there will be an option to BUY mulligans. $18/round. Is this fair? I'm ok with having side games or whatever to raise some money, but doesn't this take away from the intended purpose of the AR?

Just curious what you think/experienced.

I don't think it's fair, also don't think it's in the rules... Vibram Birdie Bashes allow $1/mulligan up to one per hole as a way to help raise money. pretty crappy that the TD changed the rules at the last minute... you already paid $25 for the player pack and 36 chances at points. if someone pays $61 they get 72 chances? wouldn't call that fair, i'd call that lining the pockets of the TD - or the benefit of the club, but still unfair to the players in the AR.

Did my ace race today in The Woodlands, Tx a lot of fun and getting excited about getting close or "almost" was also fun. Made one Ace on a real short hole. Grabbed a Green and purple disc.

I think if there is a separate prize pack for the person with the most aces on mulligans then it's within the intent of the Ace Race rules. Discraft does not prohibit side games so long as they remain as such.

Thus sayeth the DG Ace Race web site:

Q: I want to serve lunch to my players. Is it okay to increase my entry fee to $30 to cover the cost?

A: No. All Ace Race entry fees must be $25 (or equivalent for international events). If you want to offer additional side games or other benefits such as lunch, these must be optional for all players and not mandatory.

So, as far as I am concerned so long as those that pay extra for the mulligans and keep track of their mulligan shots separately for a completely separate prize package is a side game. If not, then I do not think what the TD is doing may not be violating the rules per se but is obviously NOT within the spirit of the rules.

Mulligans are fine. The Race I just got done with offered them for a buck each, with a max of 2 per 9 holes. I chose not to partake after throwing the disc a few times in warmups, but don't feel like those who did got an unfair advantage.

This is a pretty beefy disc for an Ace Race disc, but will likely find a spot in my bag. The colors at our race were all brighter than the original Ti plastic, including a stack of beautiful swirly purple discs, as well as a bunch of bright reds. My haul was a light green 165ish disc and a silver 168. Both colors are easy enough to find. Overall I'm impressed with the new plastic, and looking forward to playing a real course tonight so I can really crank on it.

I agree with Dave, above. No mulligans. It's not fair to the other competitors.

Just got back from the AR.....with a score card full of blanks. If it was a closest to the pin contest, I would have been 1st. Lots of good runs, but they set it up WAY to short. Most holes were under 165ft which required a soft flick or easy hyzer at the basket. This disc wants D. Using this disc for the short holes was boring and not a good evaluation of this discs potiental. It's about like putting a prius engine in a corvette :/

There were maybe 4 Aces on the 7 metal hits in the 1st round with 1 ace and 3 metals on mulligans. There were no seprate class for mulligans, basically just an extra chance to make a line. It seemed to be pretty poorly run, however it was thier first attempt at running this event. Poor starting coordination, spotty tee placements, lots of wasted time between rounds. Hopefully next year they can get a clue and iron out the wrinkles. Disc FUN...event setup BOO.

Just got back from the AR.....with a score card full of blanks. If it was a closest to the pin contest, I would have been 1st. Lots of good runs, but they set it up WAY to short. Most holes were under 165ft which required a soft flick or easy hyzer at the basket. This disc wants D. Using this disc for the short holes was boring and not a good evaluation of this discs potiental. It's about like putting a prius engine in a corvette :/

There were maybe 4 Aces on the 7 metal hits in the 1st round with 1 ace and 3 metals on mulligans. There were no seprate class for mulligans, basically just an extra chance to make a line. It seemed to be pretty poorly run, however it was thier first attempt at running this event. Poor starting coordination, spotty tee placements, lots of wasted time between rounds. Hopefully next year they can get a clue and iron out the wrinkles. Disc FUN...event setup BOO.

I think the tee placements for this is hard. All previous disc have been putters and mids. So having to rethink the way the event has traditionally been done makes it hard. And it's hard to put every hole at 200-250 and give everyone a fair shot. Which is the idea of an ace race.

it's hard to put every hole at 200-250 and give everyone a fair shot. Which is the idea of an ace race.

The longest hole at my Race was just under 200 feet. Most players weren't even close. It's very difficult to get an ace at that length, much less with a disc you've never thrown before.

Don't forget most disc golfers can't throw a disc 250 feet at all, much less ace at that length.

I think the tee placements for this is hard. All previous disc have been putters and mids. So having to rethink the way the event has traditionally been done makes it hard. And it's hard to put every hole at 200-250 and give everyone a fair shot. Which is the idea of an ace race.

No one is going to be happy.

At our AR, the old people complained that the holes were too long and the younger people complained that they were too short.

Our winner? Goldilocks. :D

Don't forget most disc golfers can't throw a disc 250 feet at all, much less ace at that length.

I agree, and I think that's especially applicable to the intended audience of the ace race. Discraft really wants to get new players involved in competition, and having 100-175' holes really allows new players and young players to be competitive and have a reasonable chance of getting some aces and metal hits. I would much rather see the experienced players (including me) struggle at a shorter length than have longer holes that those new players had no chance of reaching.

The Ace Race I attended (at Moraine) had holes that were 100' or so in average length.

It was tough to power down the disc enough… but the winner didn't even try, and when he missed, he was 100' to 200' beyond the basket, he said.

But short holes are more fun for the beginners, indeed. The Ace Race I attended last year with the Zombee had 180' average length holes, and many couldn't reach several of them.

The Ace Race I attended (at Moraine) had holes that were 100' or so in average length.

It was tough to power down the disc enough… but the winner didn't even try, and when he missed, he was 100' to 200' beyond the basket, he said.

But short holes are more fun for the beginners, indeed. The Ace Race I attended last year with the Zombee had 180' average length holes, and many couldn't reach several of them.

This is exactly what our winner said. He said he "just went balls out for the chains". Three aces and three metal hits got him with win.

Our holes were anywhere from 100' to 180' in length.

This is exactly what our winner said. He said he "just went balls out for the chains". Three aces and three metal hits got him with win.

Our holes were anywhere from 100' to 180' in length.

That was my strategy last year with the Zombee. Powered down, it would fade pretty fast, so I just cranked it at all of the baskets so that it would hold the line all the way there(It usually held the line about 100 ft. past the basket though lol).

^^Not really. If you're playing a real round, you could birdie all day with that throw with this disc, but all of the aces at our event yesterday were directly at the chains. Most holes were 150-200. The winner had 2 aces with about 6 or 7 total.