• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Memorial Championship presented by Discraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "culture of non enforcement?" Please expand on this idea of culture. Sounds like a bigger thing than just speeding players up, but I'm not clear on it.

It is. Non calls on foot faults is another huge (probably the biggest) part of it. The sport has long had an issue with making the guy who follows the rules and calls violations when appropriate the bad guy. Terms like "rules nazi" and "rules dick" wouldn't exist without that culture.

So Eagle, Ragna and eMac, didn't play the memorial. Anyone other top players skip or not play this one?

Did Avery?

As a group can you decide to tee of out of turn, if the first to tee has a much bigger arm than the others? Or perhaps if only one guy says he is gonna go for the green the others can throw their layups?

Well.....

A. Teeing order for the first hole to be played is determined by the order in which the players are listed on the scorecard(s).
B. Teeing order on all subsequent holes is determined by the scores on the previous hole, with the lowest score throwing first, and so on. If the previous hole was a tie, the scores are to be counted back until the order is resolved.
C. After all the players in the group have teed off, the away player throws next. After that and each subsequent throw, the player who is then the away player throws next, until all players in the group have holed out.
D. To facilitate flow of play, a player who is not the away player may throw if the away player consents.

D. doesn't quite allow for teeing off in the wrong order. But, allowing players to agree to a different teeing order would seem to be "a logical extension of the closest existing rule". Except, there is no compelling reason to create an extension of the rules, as play can proceed according to the letter of the rule.

They're absolutely waiting for players to clear the par 4s rather than throwing when they're out of range. Some will argue that they don't want their discs landing behind players as they're getting ready to throw/putt because they wouldn't want discs landing behind them as they're getting ready to throw/putt.

It's one thing when it's a tweener par 4 that some of them can reach with a big drive, but on most of the holes I watched yesterday, that didn't seem to be the case. MattyO had that one big roller that got him 75-100 feet closer than anyone else, but even that was 100+ feet short of the hole and shouldn't have been an issue for a group putting out.

I see a similar phenomena at the tournaments I run. The course has one par 4, and it only backs up when the MPO groups get there (and clears up once they're gone). And that's because they seem to think they can reach it from the tee (and occasionally one or two get close) so they wait for the hole to clear, whereas every other group in every other division tee off as soon as the group in front is out of their range.

It's one of the unsung benefits to having spotters on holes...not only do they keep things moving by watching discs and preventing long searches or debates about where discs went OB and such, but they can be traffic cops waving groups on when they might otherwise sit and wait. I didn't see a lot of evidence of spotters on the course yesterday. That might play a role as well.

Yup thats a big problem too, at every level of play. And it drives me bonkers. Guys will be 100-200 feet away from where everyone is trying to land and guys will think I'm crazy for wanting to throw.

So Eagle, Ragna and eMac, didn't play the memorial. Anyone other top players skip or not play this one?

Did Avery?

I think I remember hearing on Smashboxx last night that Avery isn't playing at all this year. Gonna concentrate on his career as the Dick Vitale of disc golf, I guess.

I think I remember hearing on Smashboxx last night that Avery isn't playing at all this year. Gonna concentrate on his career as the Dick Vitale of disc golf, I guess.

I think it's more about concentrating on his role as a father instead doing the road warrior thing,

Lord forbid a grown man, with a wife and kids decide to stay home and tend to his flock rather than playing a tournament. Shame on him.

And if ever there was a Dick Vitale in disc golf, it's Crazy John Brooks.

Did Avery?
At least on the masters side I was missing Schultz and Schwebbie. Made it too easy for Kenny.

On MPO side we are missing at least Proctor, MJ and GG.

By the way, where is Wiggins Jr? Even the PDGA membership is expired. :\

Isn't Wiggins in med school? Much better option than disc golf. :|

Isn't Wiggins in med school? Much better option than disc golf. :|
Absouletly great for him if that is true. :clap:

I'm just a bit surprised as he was touted as the next big thing for few years. Why all the fuzz if he was never going to stay on the tour?! :confused:

Lord forbid a grown man, with a wife and kids decide to stay home and tend to his flock rather than playing a tournament. Shame on him.

Lol! I never said he was wrong for not playing. Someone on here asked if he was playing in the Memorial and I said I heard on Smashboxx last night that he wasn't playing this year and wanted to get into media instead and I know that he's working for Jussi as color man for all his tour this year. Not passing judgment at all on his career choices.

Also, I didn't know he was married? Good for him.

Looks like Catrina with a win after Paige bogeyed 18. Can't wait for the final round to start (kudos to Terry and Jonny V @ Smash Boxx).

Didn't really mean to imply Avery would want Dickie V's personae necessarily, more like Dickie V's visibility, stature and paycheck.

I didn't think you were implying that because Avery isn't anything like Dickie V.

Crazy John on the other hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.