• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 Memorial Championship

Quicker than Nikko can drop in a 20 foot putt, the SmashCutt for R3 is uploading and will be available by 8pm. Exclusive access to it for SmashBoxx Patrons only.

patreon.com/smashboxxtv

All Disc Golf, none of the talk. 37 minutes of PURE Disc Golf. All 18 holes. :clap:

While I agree with the statement that equipment deficiencies exist in every sport, I've considered them all and our sport is the only one where that deficiency is in the target that is the essence of scoring in the sport. Football goalposts, basketball rim/nets, hockey goals, soccer goals, etc, they are all perfect. They don't allow a shot/kick that hits dead center middle to be no good. But that can happen in our sport. To me that is one of the things that proves our sport is still in its early stages of its development. I contend there has to be a movement at some point and time to correct that flaw in our target. And I believe it can be done without changing the dimensions or costing megabucks. We just need the motivation in our sport in general to get past the 'S........happens' mentality, and allow a designer to make a difference.

That S is for "spit-outs" you dirty minds!
Basketball goals allow some terrible misses to go in, while some slight misses are rejected. Soccer, football and hockey goals are huge directional targets unless you are off angle to it. DG baskets are omni-directional targets unless something else is in the way. I think the only way to make DG targets still omni-directional and not reject dead center is to make them larger so the center pole is further away. Making smaller targets will only increase spit outs and airballs. I suppose you would rather play on a directional target like on the left:
ImWTGgT.jpg

Sorry to be off topic.

Does anyone know what kind/brand of shirt Cat was wearing in Round 2? I really want to see if I can get one similar (for men though).

Thanks guys

..Football goalposts, basketball rim/nets, hockey goals, soccer goals, etc, they are all perfect. They don't allow a shot/kick that hits dead center middle to be no good....

Wrong analogs. Curling, bowling, shuffleboard and - oh yeah - golf cups don't allow a shot to be good unless it hits dead center and at the correct speed.

Last edited:
anyone else think the raised baskets are a pathetic effort to make a boring hole interesting?

its like a local course by me

1. yes, the FPO footage will be out next week. Rather than cram it in with all the MPO stuff they are waiting.

2. Nate and Terry are close friends. Nate is GREAT on the mic. But, the one thing he has always loved to do is call Terry other nicknames. So, I don't expect it to end.

1. yes, the FPO footage will be out next week. Rather than cram it in with all the MPO stuff they are waiting.

2. Nate and Terry are close friends. Nate is GREAT on the mic. But, the one thing he has always loved to do is call Terry other nicknames. So, I don't expect it to end.

Remember when Rich flew Steady and Nate in for Nate's first big tourney? Such a youngin' he was then. :)

Wrong analogs. Curling, bowling, shuffleboard and - oh yeah - golf cups don't allow a shot to be good unless it hits dead center and at the correct speed.

You're missing my analogy. I don't disagree with what you said at all. (Well slightly and I'll explain.) I'm not talking about bad shots -- only good ones that hit dead center nuts target. Those shots/kicks in those sports are good and are not ever "bounce outs". My point is that when the b-golfer DOES do his job correctly, his target is perfect. Putting the ball at the right speed and hitting dead center cup, it will stay in. Ditto for curling, and shuffleboard-- right speed and right placement and you're 100% perfectly to your target. Whenever you are bowling (except for aiming for a single pin) you are really aiming at multiple targets -- 10 for example on the first ball of a frame. There is no way to hit all ten with the ball, so you depend upon other things like pin-action, ball deflection angle, etc., of which the bowler does not have COMPLETE control. Therefore, bowling, to me is an outlier, with the exception of the single pin spare pickup.

Basketball goals allow some terrible misses to go in, while some slight misses are rejected. Soccer, football and hockey goals are huge directional targets unless you are off angle to it. DG baskets are omni-directional targets unless something else is in the way. I think the only way to make DG targets still omni-directional and not reject dead center is to make them larger so the center pole is further away. Making smaller targets will only increase spit outs and airballs. I suppose you would rather play on a directional target like on the left:
ImWTGgT.jpg

['YOUTUBE]X1cXaxnN2Xk[/YOUTUBE]
['YOUTUBE]D_yI8mUOHCI[/YOUTUBE]
['YOUTUBE]8y5oJlQ_eOQ[/YOUTUBE]
['YOUTUBE]ldV50I_sYBc[/YOUTUBE]
['YOUTUBE]t1WzFfq0qSM[/YOUTUBE]

WOW!. I respect your opinion on these forums a lot sidewinder, but here you decided to discuss a different (but related) topic than the one I addressed.

#1 -- Those are bad examples to support your position. The basketball one was not about dead center nuts shots; the bowling one was a fluke slide and re-stand, but not one in which the ball hit all ten pins; in the darts one the slo-mo clearly shows the dart was not straight but tilted upward, and there exists no dead center nuts in ball golf when the flag is on the hole.

I made no assertion that it was horrible to have some "bad shots" actually go in the target. I didn't address bad shots ("X-in's", if you will) at all. When that happens in basketball it typically involves the backboard, which yes does happen. But even the perfect shot off the backboard that hits dead center nuts (aka "nothin'-but-net) stays in. After watching the first few e.g.'s in the vid you posted about "in-and-outs", NONE of the "in-and-outs" were dead center nuts to that net -- except LeBron's dunk which actually hit the defender in the head after it had gone through the nets and just happened to ricochet back up through the nets. And if you'll check what happened in that game, they ended up counting LeBron's shot (dunk) good because it went through the net.

#2 -- The bowling example, while fluky, I've already addressed in my answer to Steve above. Yes, fluky that the 3-pin would hit a wall and bounce around and stand up in the 10-pin's spot. But a bowler in the situation has ten targets.

#3 -- Before I go on to my contention, you must know that unless people think it's worthwhile to have target improvements, anything I say won't matter to you or anyone in dg. If we don't want a target that's perfect to the dead center nuts (DCN) putt, it won't ever happen. I think it's worth it to have a target which, at the very least, would be like a basketball net so that if you hit "nothing but center" it would ALWAYS stay in. And yes Steve, at the right speed, which 'what that is' is a different discussion.

Possible solution -- We can maintain the omni-directional targets and same dimensions and address dead center nuts putts. And I'll contend that perhaps the first step in that direction would be experimenting with a center pole of multiple materials (2), so that the dimensions (total width) remain the same, but perhaps it's a thinner metal of equal strength, wrapped or covered with a softer or more malleable material. Soft enough that DCN putts ALWAYS stay in, but perhaps (I don't know until experiments take place) still allowing the "too hard" shots to not stay. I'd be willing to do experimental research personally given a charge on resources. Not sure if that's the answer, but it's a thought if target improvement is something dg'ers might someday value.

...[Y]ou gain an advantage, intentional or not, every time you break a rule...

What you're meaning to say is correct, but this quote is not. I can definitely think of ways to break the rules that would be a distinct disadvantage.... for example, when no one is looking, you secretly relocate your second shot to 100 miles away from the course..

but here you decided to discuss a different (but related) topic than the one I addressed.
:confused:

#1 -- Those are bad examples to support your position... in the darts one the slo-mo clearly shows the dart was not straight but tilted upward.

I made no assertion that it was horrible to have some "bad shots" actually go in the target. I didn't address bad shots ("X-in's", if you will) at all. When that happens in basketball it typically involves the backboard, which yes does happen. But even the perfect shot off the backboard that hits dead center nuts (aka "nothin'-but-net) stays in.
Riddle me this then... How is that dart you explain that bounces out any different than a disc? If the disc had the perfect nose angle and speed it would go down into the trey instead of bouncing out. The chains and pole on our baskets are like the backboard on a basketball goal. You don't even need the chains or pole to get the disc perfectly into the trey just like a basketball doesn't need the backboard.

#3 -- Before I go on to my contention, you must know that unless people think it's worthwhile to have target improvements, anything I say won't matter to you or anyone in dg. If we don't want a target that's perfect to the dead center nuts (DCN) putt, it won't ever happen. I think it's worth it to have a target which, at the very least, would be like a basketball net so that if you hit "nothing but center" it would ALWAYS stay in. And yes Steve, at the right speed, which 'what that is' is a different discussion.

Possible solution -- We can maintain the omni-directional targets and same dimensions and address dead center nuts putts. And I'll contend that perhaps the first step in that direction would be experimenting with a center pole of multiple materials (2), so that the dimensions (total width) remain the same, but perhaps it's a thinner metal of equal strength, wrapped or covered with a softer or more malleable material. Soft enough that DCN putts ALWAYS stay in, but perhaps (I don't know until experiments take place) still allowing the "too hard" shots to not stay. I'd be willing to do experimental research personally given a charge on resources. Not sure if that's the answer, but it's a thought if target improvement is something dg'ers might someday value.

Your solution sounds expensive and/or not going to last long, and who determines what speed is too hard for it to catch and how does it reject those "bad" putts?. Let's just get rid of the chains and pole and use trash cans. :\

pre-galvanized-trash-can-with-lid-round-steel-20gal-gray_1106092.jpg

I'm not sure why some people here are blaming JohnE and Nybo for not seconding. I'm sure they didn't see it. Not everyone watches everyone else's foot placement on every shot.

Where was Nybo and JohnE standing during Ricky's throw, does anybody know exactly? It seems like that group kind of sprayed their drives away from each other on that hole. Depending on the angle I had, I wouldn't feel comfortable calling a foot fault unless I was at least within 60' of the action. On borderline infractions, Ricky's looked pretty blatant, I'd want to be as close as possible. It just doesn't seem realistic to expect players to all flock to each other's throws to monitor them. To err is to be human. To expect humans to do this proficiently is just grossly disingenuous of basic human nature.

Latest posts