• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 PDGA Am Worlds - YORK, PA

Jeez what a cluster%&#@!

If someone doesn't admit that it was a total screw up to have half the number of MA55 spots as MA50, I will stop playing tourneys until I turn 59. Somehow it also makes sense to have more MA60 spots than MA55.

I didn't want to make the trip to Pennsylvania this year, and I'm glad that I chose not to. Beating a field of 36, the majority of them sub 900 rated, for a "World Championship" would be a hollow victory.

If we want the best to compete, make the first wave of registration ratings based for those that meet the points requirement rather than require more points. We have ratings to determine how we rank relative to each other, lets put them to good use.

It looks to me like it is time to split Am Master Worlds from MA1 and FA1. This MA55 debacle makes it obvious that York PA didn't have the number of quality courses needed to host this event.

Hey Emporia, want to host Am Master Worlds every year? :)

Jeez what a cluster%&#@!

If someone doesn't admit that it was a total screw up to have half the number of MA55 spots as MA50, I will stop playing tourneys until I turn 59. Somehow it also makes sense to have more MA60 spots than MA55.

I didn't want to make the trip to Pennsylvania this year, and I'm glad that I chose not to. Beating a field of 36, the majority of them sub 900 rated, for a "World Championship" would be a hollow victory.

If we want the best to compete, make the first wave of registration ratings based for those that meet the points requirement rather than require more points. We have ratings to determine how we rank relative to each other, lets put them to good use.

It looks to me like it is time to split Am Master Worlds from MA1 and FA1. This MA55 debacle makes it obvious that York PA didn't have the number of quality courses needed to host this event.

This seems a bit of an over-reaction. First, they ARE splitting Masters from MA1 and FA1 in 2021. Second, they are using 10 courses for the event...I have a hard time believing that's not enough. Third, this is the first year for the 55+ and 65+ fields. They had no way of knowing what the demand would be for each division, especially since demand for some divisions varies based on location. It's not necessarily consistent that division X fills quickly every year. I could see the case for equal spots for 50 and 55, and 60 and 65, but my guess is they'd still have the issue of not enough spots for the demand and there'd still be unhappy folks.

As for using ratings for registration, I think that needs to be made clear before qualifying even begins in order to be fair. If a player busts their butt during the year to earn enough points to qualify because they expect that that and a quick trigger finger on the registration site will get them in (the expectations for this event for the last 18 months), you can't change the rules mid-stream. If there's a ratings element to the registration, suddenly that 750 rated 56 year old might not be so eager to earn his points for qualifying if he won't be allowed to register until after it's filled anyway.

It sucks to get shut out of a tournament you have been working to get into for a while, but there is no perfect solution. No matter what the cap (or the criteria), the player who is the [cap + 1]th person to register and gets put on the waitlist is going to be upset and want a higher cap.

This MA55 debacle makes it obvious that York PA didn't have the number of quality courses needed to host this event.

11 high quality course that York is offering isn't enough? I know too many good people that have been busting their rear end for the past year to let this childish petty clueless comment go.

It's probably best you decided stay home.

Jeez what a cluster%&#@!

whatever

I agree completely.

It looks to me like it is time to split Am Master Worlds from MA1 and FA1.
Already set to occur- good idea.

This MA55 debacle makes it obvious that York PA didn't have the number of quality courses needed to host this event.

nonsense

There are quality courses in Emporia?

The obvious answer to this would be to have spots reserved for the highest point earners in each state and then have additional spots for total points earned. Because, yes, in some areas playing every local/regional event of the year will not net you as many points as playing in 1 or 2 events in other areas of the country.

Pretty sure this is already how it works.

MA40 has been bumped to 144 and MA55 has been increased to 72. MA65 to 44.

Spots are available to those interested.

Great job by the Tour Director to accommodate a larger field in both.

Last edited:
Kudos to the TD and anyone that helped with the new division breakdown. Having spots currently available in almost every division shows that this was an excellent restructuring. Job well done!

The original number of spots available in each division was based on a similar percentage of the number of invitations sent out in each division. A higher percentage of the invited MA55 field registered as compared to the MA50 field. Kind of a weird quirk that it happened that way.

Jeez what a cluster%&#@!

I think there was an occurrence this year that was unexpected. And that was the number of age-protected players whose "home division" was MA55 and they ONLY qualified for MA55. It was probably speculated in the beginning that mot players would be qualified for either MA50 or MA55 and there'd be enough spots to accommodate. But when the smoke cleared after the first 24 hours there were still spots left in MA50, while Ma55 PLUS its waitlist was more than MA50. Looking insight my friends and I wondered why those guys didn't just take the spots in MA50, then we looked at the invite list and were surprised to see how many were only qualified in MA55. We figured out they must live in a area of the country where MA50 rarely makes, so they are stuck playing MA1 or MA2 or MA3 or MA40.. none of which helps them get enough points to be in MA50. Thankfully, the PDGA noticed and took care of those players.

As far as the quality of the MA55 field, there are 5 Am Grandmasters championships in that field already, and over 20 top ten finishes; it's gonna be no cakewalk for whoever wins it, so good luck.

This seems a bit of an over-reaction. First, they ARE splitting Masters from MA1 and FA1 in 2021. Second, they are using 10 courses for the event...I have a hard time believing that's not enough. Third, this is the first year for the 55+ and 65+ fields. They had no way of knowing what the demand would be for each division, especially since demand for some divisions varies based on location. It's not necessarily consistent that division X fills quickly every year. I could see the case for equal spots for 50 and 55, and 60 and 65, but my guess is they'd still have the issue of not enough spots for the demand and there'd still be unhappy folks.

As for using ratings for registration, I think that needs to be made clear before qualifying even begins in order to be fair. If a player busts their butt during the year to earn enough points to qualify because they expect that that and a quick trigger finger on the registration site will get them in (the expectations for this event for the last 18 months), you can't change the rules mid-stream. If there's a ratings element to the registration, suddenly that 750 rated 56 year old might not be so eager to earn his points for qualifying if he won't be allowed to register until after it's filled anyway.

It sucks to get shut out of a tournament you have been working to get into for a while, but there is no perfect solution. No matter what the cap (or the criteria), the player who is the [cap + 1]th person to register and gets put on the waitlist is going to be upset and want a higher cap.

^^^ what JC said

I think there was an occurrence this year that was unexpected. And that was the number of age-protected players whose "home division" was MA55 and they ONLY qualified for MA55. It was probably speculated in the beginning that mot players would be qualified for either MA50 or MA55 and there'd be enough spots to accommodate. But when the smoke cleared after the first 24 hours there were still spots left in MA50, while Ma55 PLUS its waitlist was more than MA50. Looking insight my friends and I wondered why those guys didn't just take the spots in MA50, then we looked at the invite list and were surprised to see how many were only qualified in MA55. We figured out they must live in a area of the country where MA50 rarely makes, so they are stuck playing MA1 or MA2 or MA3 or MA40.. none of which helps them get enough points to be in MA50. Thankfully, the PDGA noticed and took care of those players.

As far as the quality of the MA55 field, there are 5 Am Grandmasters championships in that field already, and over 20 top ten finishes; it's gonna be no cakewalk for whoever wins it, so good luck.

This is not accurate. AM points are AM points, whether you earn them in AM1 or MA55. You needed 500 points to qualify for MA50 and MA55. Every player had a home division in the age protected crowd. They were only initially allowed to sign up for their home division. So, as a 56 year old guy with over 500 points, I was not allowed to sign up for MA50 initially. Despite the fact that I did qualify. My invite was only for my home division. A bit of this is nomenclature.

This is not accurate. AM points are AM points, whether you earn them in AM1 or MA55. You needed 500 points to qualify for MA50 and MA55. Every player had a home division in the age protected crowd. They were only initially allowed to sign up for their home division. So, as a 56 year old guy with over 500 points, I was not allowed to sign up for MA50 initially. Despite the fact that I did qualify. My invite was only for my home division. A bit of this is nomenclature.

This isn't quite accurate or perhaps needs clarification.

Yes, all am points are applied to your "home division" as you called it. If you are under 40, this is MA1. If you are 40 - 49, this is MA40. 50 - 54, MA50, 55 - 59, MA55 and so on.

However, if you are 54 and earned enough points from MA40 play to qualify for MA40, you would also qualify for MA40. However, the points earned in MA2, MA1, etc would not apply to MA40.

Yes, all am points are applied to your "home division" as you called it. If you are under 40, this is MA1. If you are 40 - 49, this is MA40. 50 - 54, MA50, 55 - 59, MA55 and so on.

However, if you are 54 and earned enough points from MA40 play to qualify for MA40, you would also qualify for MA40. However, the points earned in MA2, MA1, etc would not apply to MA40.

All true. The bottom line that I think ru4por was going for is that those that qualified for MA55 most likely did so due to being aged 55-59 rather than earning 500 points playing in MA55. It is highly doubtful that MA55 as a division was contested in enough tournaments in 2018 for anyone to qualify on points earned exclusively in that division. That there were more players invited to MA55 than MA50 indicates only one thing...that there were more 55-59 year olds that earned the minimum number of points than there were 50-54 year olds. Nothing to do with where they're from or what divisions they may have played over the course of the 2018 season.

Thanks for the clarification MTL. You are, of course, correct.

I had earned over 500 points, which would qualify me for my home division, MA55, regardless of where the point were earned. I had not earned 500 in MA50, therefore I initially could not sign up for MA50, even though the point requirement is still 500 points. Using myself as an example.

Sorry for the thead jack but it seemed silly to make a new thread just to ask a question...

Does anybody know if anyone is filming at Jr Worlds?

I am trying not to jinx it but the weather for next week is looking like it taking a turn for the better. :clap:

This Saturday is looking awful.

I am trying not to jinx it but the weather for next week is looking like it taking a turn for the better. :clap:

This Saturday is looking awful.

Man, I hope so. It has been freaking brutally hot and humid in Michigan. Getting tired of it.

Sorry for the thead jack but it seemed silly to make a new thread just to ask a question...

Does anybody know if anyone is filming at Jr Worlds?

I have heard of another small crew heading out for Friday and Saturday, but I am not certain of their plans.

And I'll kick off this forum with a discussion topic: Of the 6 courses that are being used what course do you want to play most and why?

Codorus State Park Red is really good. Quaker's Challenge is awesome...one of the true gems of central Pennsylvania disc golf. I love a course that makes me decide on every single tee whether to throw midrange for placement, or go for it with a driver. It would have been the best course in this Am Worlds but Muddy Run takes the cake, it's just jaw droppingly awesome! I started disc golfing in 1996 and have played about 250 courses across the US and Canada and Muddy Run is instantly a top 25 course, more likely top 10. What a mix of open and woods, and some of the biggest elevation changes I've ever seen that wasn't at a ski hill course. Also top 5 tee signs I've ever seen, every bird on the tee signs is native to the state of Pennsylvania. Spectacularly maintained, it's simply UNREAL. Thank you to everyone who made this course happen, it's absolutely the crown jewel of this 2019 PDGA Amateur World Championships!

Last edited:

Latest posts