• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 United States Disc Golf Championship Oct 2-5

Obviously the people complaining have never paid service fees for concerts. If service fees for concerts were $10 for $70 tickets, I would be ecstatic! Many volunteers have spent thousands over the years for travel, accommodations, food and drink because they enjoy the atmosphere regardless of the costs and I am sure some even stream the event when volunteering. College football and PGA, LPGA, Champions and Korn Ferry tours are the sports I consistently watch which I will be enjoying as the finals end but if I had nothing else to do, I would gladly pay $10 to support the sport. If $10 going to EDGE is too steep for people complaining, you have bigger issues than watching the USDGC online.

Innova and the USDGC see themselves as innovators and pathfinders.
They are not charging for PPV because they need the money.
My best guess is that they are exploring the economic viability of live PPV.

Some will pay, some won't.
Make no mistake, a LOT of people will be watching to see how successful this is.

I often watch condensed baseball games next day through mlb.tv. It cuts a game down to about 20 minutes. I don't watch that live for the same reason I don't watch live disc golf. I have better things to do than watch TV for 3+ hours at a time.

I also couldn't care less about being spoiled on the outcome before I watch the post produced version of either sport.

I'm sure that I'm in the minority, but I wish the post produced rounds were shorter. I'd ideally like to be able to watch a full round in about the time a 9 hole video currently takes.

I like to watch DG vids when I can't get out to the course. It's a good stress reliever...the relaxed vibe is why I am watching it.

If they jump around "rapid fire" even more than they already do, it'd be hard to watch IMO. But if that's what you want, you can always just put your finger on the fast forward button. Don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. Past USDGCs live have been some of them most exciting live sports I've ever seen. Not because of the production value, but because I'm a disc golf nerd. Looking back at some of the awesome finishes I watched unfold live I will happily pay $10. That real time excitement is what I'm paying for, not a fancy production. Also, I just spent $10 for a latte and a ****ty muffin from Starbucks like an hour ago.

Wow. I guess its not okay to criticize or have an opinion on this because gosh, the "proceeds" are going to EDGE. I must have really big issues questioning where the money is going so yeah I'll just blindy give them money because disc golf.

Proceeds...That's a pretty vague term. Did they say what percentage of the $10 is going to EDGE? 50%? 25%? 0.00001%? That'd be a helpful selling point...

I like the Starbucks example above. See, when I spend $10 in there I know exactly what I am getting. An over priced garbage coffee and a "****ty" muffin. With the USDGC live coverage I'm really not sure. That right there is my issue.

Wow. I guess its not okay to criticize or have an opinion on this because gosh, the "proceeds" are going to EDGE. I must have really big issues questioning where the money is going so yeah I'll just blindy give them money because disc golf.

Proceeds...That's a pretty vague term. Did they say what percentage of the $10 is going to EDGE? 50%? 25%? 0.00001%? That'd be a helpful selling point...

I like the Starbucks example above. See, when I spend $10 in there I know exactly what I am getting. An over priced garbage coffee and a "****ty" muffin. With the USDGC live coverage I'm really not sure. That right there is my issue.

I am pretty sure you get to watch a few days of disc golf with that $10.

I'd argue it's an overpriced and overly bitter cup of coffee.

I think it's great that the USDGC is going to a PPV model, they are always looking to push the envelope. THAT SAID, if you are going to charge for something that has been free in the past then you better be sure that you are going to deliver a product that satisfies. Gotta make that cookie with the right ratio of ingredients, it's in the oven the right amount of time AND it's delivered with a box and a bow. If I had time to watch it I would pay just to be a part of the experience.

My "hot takes". From being on the outside for once.

1. If you are complaining that $10 is too much for coverage. You are an whiner***. No... a cheap whiner. That is less than 1 disc. That is less than a cup of coffee at Starbucks. That is less than a movie. That is less than a single round at Maple Hill. Look at all other sports PPV costs.

2. If you are saying that because you are paying you expect better quality. That is the WRONG attitude. Who is to say that SmashBoxx or Fulcrum are at the limits that can be pushed with our current budgets. Just because we have been giving you free for a long time, don't expect better now that you have to pay, be glad that you got what you got for free for so long.

3. I think this is a stepping stone for the USDGC to put it ALL behind a paywall in the future. And to that I say, BRAVO. Many DGers feel like they are entitled to free coverage for some reason. They are not. Innova has a product that people want. Hopefully they will eventually make people pay for that.

4. If you don't want to pay because you enjoy post production more. Cool. Don't pay. Enjoy what you enjoy. No one really cares one way or the other. I am personally gonna watch live. FOR ME, even watching on a crappy Facebook live stream is more exciting than post production. I can see both sides.

Innova hopefully knows exactly what they are doing here with the live numbers vs post numbers.

Trust me, I have concerns about how the broadcast is going to be done from a tech side. But, Fulcrum has a lot of experience and will hopefully prove me wrong.

***If $10 REALLY IS too much for your budget. Great, save your money and pay rent, mortgage, Credit Cards, or buy food. You are a smart person for making the best financial decision for yourself. I respect that. #1 was directed at people with more fluid budgets that are complaining about the price.

Ultimately I feel like spending money towards sports entertainment is always a gamble. I have gotten great MLB tickets for a real good deal and been disappointed because the game was noncompetitive. I have also had an excellent time with terrible seats because it was a great game! To me, it's the same with disc golf. If there is back and forth action at the lead, it is pretty exciting regardless of production value or commentary.

Ultimately I feel like spending money towards sports entertainment is always a gamble. I have gotten great MLB tickets for a real good deal and been disappointed because the game was noncompetitive. I have also had an excellent time with terrible seats because it was a great game! To me, it's the same with disc golf. If there is back and forth action at the lead, it is pretty exciting regardless of production value or commentary.

Sports are always tough. Just imagine if you bought the MLB package this year to watch the Cubs. ;)

We have had star heavy cards that were snoozers. It is always a gamble on what you get with sports.

My "hot takes". From being on the outside for once.

1. If you are complaining that $10 is too much for coverage. You are an whiner***. No... a cheap whiner. That is less than 1 disc. That is less than a cup of coffee at Starbucks. That is less than a movie. That is less than a single round at Maple Hill. Look at all other sports PPV costs.

2. If you are saying that because you are paying you expect better quality. That is the WRONG attitude. Who is to say that SmashBoxx or Fulcrum are at the limits that can be pushed with our current budgets. Just because we have been giving you free for a long time, don't expect better now that you have to pay, be glad that you got what you got for free for so long.

3. I think this is a stepping stone for the USDGC to put it ALL behind a paywall in the future. And to that I say, BRAVO. Many DGers feel like they are entitled to free coverage for some reason. They are not. Innova has a product that people want. Hopefully they will eventually make people pay for that.

4. If you don't want to pay because you enjoy post production more. Cool. Don't pay. Enjoy what you enjoy. No one really cares one way or the other. I am personally gonna watch live. FOR ME, even watching on a crappy Facebook live stream is more exciting than post production. I can see both sides.

Innova hopefully knows exactly what they are doing here with the live numbers vs post numbers.

Trust me, I have concerns about how the broadcast is going to be done from a tech side. But, Fulcrum has a lot of experience and will hopefully prove me wrong.

***If $10 REALLY IS too much for your budget. Great, save your money and pay rent, mortgage, Credit Cards, or buy food. You are a smart person for making the best financial decision for yourself. I respect that. #1 was directed at people with more fluid budgets that are complaining about the price.

Spot on on everything but number 2 imo. Because it has been free for so long is exactly why people will expect better if they are paying.

Spot on on everything but number 2 imo. Because it has been free for so long is exactly why people will expect better if they are paying.

They might EXPECT better. But IMO it may not be realistic. I think some realistic goals would be an additional card covered at some point & better graphics. Maybe some filler pieces.

They might EXPECT better. But IMO it may not be realistic. I think some realistic goals would be an additional card covered at some point & better graphics. Maybe some filler pieces.

You know much better than I that there is no room for realistic expectations in this stuff.

You know much better than I that there is no room for realistic expectations in this stuff.

To be fair, I think the most my wife has ever spent on a drink was like $6 for some fancy thing. I don't drink coffee, so I have never bought a drink from there. But I know if you get some of the fancy extras they add up quick.

To be fair, I think the most my wife has ever spent on a drink was like $6 for some fancy thing. I don't drink coffee, so I have never bought a drink from there. But I know if you get some of the fancy extras they add up quick.

You would have to put on every fancy extra to rack up $10 for a single drink.

I don't know....We all place a value of things we buy, or don't. Perhaps a movie is worth more to that person, than watching disc golf. Perhaps a disc is worth twice as much.

Nothing wrong with someone say, "It's not worth $10 to me." There's a bit of annoyance in saying, "It's not worth $10", as if speaking for all consumers.

I mean, for myself, "free" costs too much---I rarely watch disc golf videos. But at least I recognize that free is a great deal to the many people who love them, and $10 will be a good deal to some of them.