• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2021 PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships June 22-26

I don't think it can be understated how calvin's putting stroke is a factor in his success. Minimal motion. Easily replicable every time. In a 5 round tournament, a consistent and concise putting stroke pays dividends
Agreed, his putting form is a thing of beauty. The only thing I can't fathom is hiding the basket from sight with the disc just before release :confused:

I don't think it can be understated how calvin's putting stroke is a factor in his success. Minimal motion. Easily replicable every time. In a 5 round tournament, a consistent and concise putting stroke pays dividends

Agreed, his putting form is a thing of beauty. The only thing I can't fathom is hiding the basket from sight with the disc just before release :confused:

Not only that but the way he does that floaty spin putt, he still gets plenty of speed on the disc to make those 40-50fters but doesn't really fly to far past the basket if he does miss... usually

Per Eagles insta more OB drama…
attachment.php

I appreciate his making it clear that's he's grateful for the volunteers and that his beef is not with the volunteers who drew the lines.

His beef is with the PDGA (and I would argue the TD) for doing it mid event. After Nikko's incident two weeks ago, I'd say it's completely unacceptable to not have had it done before Rd 1 of World's.

Last edited:
I'm guessing they thought that actually cutting a clean line around the edge of all the bunkers would be good enough but they must have still had issues during the first two rounds...

Yeah, the lack of consistency is the issue here.

Everybody agrees if lines had been marked prior to the tournament that was best case scenario. Not sure on the logic to make course changes mid tournament, I'm guessing knee jerk OVERREACTION to criticism from the Utah Open, sprinkled in with some tough judgement calls from early rounds?

Feedback and adapting is good, and has its appropriate time and place…mid event is not one of those times.

If it was intended to reduce questionable calls like Nikko's do the work ahead of time or just be prepared for provisional strokes and having to make calls as cards come in. One or the other and stick to your guns.

I kinda also think Calvins brain is wired to disc golf as Alex Honnolds is to free soloing. Dude just seems to have zero nerves. When have you seen him rattled, crack under pressure, or to execute poorly due to some previous incident?

I kinda also think Calvins brain is wired to disc golf as Alex Honnolds is to free soloing. Dude just seems to have zero nerves. When have you seen him rattled, crack under pressure, or to execute poorly due to some previous incident?

I remember a couple times in events a few years ago where he got the yips and would clank shortish putts off the chastity belts but he seems to have gotten over that

Wonder how large of a buffer Paige need to get today …. Or if Paige and Cat will try so hard to win that Lisa can sneak up for behind and beat them both just like Val did a few years ago.

Copied from the link Dave provided:
Courses are required to be set up for the first-round configuration a minimum of 3 days prior to the start of the event for Elite Series events (NT & DGPT) and 1 day prior to the start of the event for A-Tier events. For World Championship events, courses must be set no less than 4 days in advance of the start of the
event. For other PDGA Majors such as US Masters or USWDGC, the courses must be set no less than 3 days in advance of the start of the event. In the case of temporary holes and/or courses where targets are unavailable, the temporary configuration must be clearly marked for both the Tee and Target locations.

Note: "Start of the Event" means the morning of the first day of competition, so a three-day Friday-Sunday National Tour would need to have its courses ready for practice no later than on Tuesday morning. A Worlds, where the singles competition starts on Tuesday, would need to have its courses ready for practice no later than on the previous Friday morning.
:popcorn:

Lots of problems with the OB, for sure.

Marking OB, even when it's a lake, is critical. Things like a lake can change water levels and the one thing no one seems to think about is the drop. How many times have you seen a creek not marked and then the meter is on the edge of the drop off? It's just not a good thing.

From what I understand the golf course would not allow marking. Obviously that changed.

I don't support that it wasn't marked ahead of time (which is on the host crew. The contracts the PDGA gives worlds TD - i've signed one - talks about the host is fully in charge of venue) and I don't like the idea it was added midway through the competition.

However, this is getting waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overblown.

Despite Eagle's "this was in yesterday out today" comment, these lines didn't change the result of 99.5% of the shots. The lines were so closed to the edges of these fall offs, etc. The overblown reaction Eagle had was silly.

Also, while I would have given then opinion if I was on staff that we should not paint midway through, if you are going to do it, they did it at the perfect time. After 2 days, all MPO scores are comparable. "Changing" (and I use that word so loosely because nothing changed - it's not like they went and extended an OB 50 feet or added something) a course at a midpoint when all scores are comparable is not a competition integrity situation.

I seem to remember hearing that sports science says it's optimal to only be hyper focused for 1-2 seconds before doing something. By Calvin blocking the basket from his eyes, it could result in him being able to relax for a second or two and build himself up to be hyper focused when he moves the disc away from his eyes.

I seem to remember hearing that sports science says it's optimal to only be hyper focused for 1-2 seconds before doing something. By Calvin blocking the basket from his eyes, it could result in him being able to relax for a second or two and build himself up to be hyper focused when he moves the disc away from his eyes.

whats nikko sport science by taking a minute to putt

Latest posts