• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] 2023 “workhorse” midrange?

This...

But in warmer weather.

Until it gets nice here in SE WI and while I am in central FL,
I will be going with the MVP Hex and Mint Lobster or Reptilian Iguana.

How are you finding the Iguana so far? I need a heavier one to be sure, but my 165 is almost Cometlike.

Haven't thrown since early November so can't really answer that.
I anticipate that I will look to use it where I would be throwing my mature San Marino or very mature 8x KC Roc.

That the plan for next week...

When the Roc became really plus rimmed a few(?) years ago I moved on. I've thrown a ton of mids loved some the Gateway stable/ overstable mids but ended up with Emac Truths. Such a boring predictable disc that just does it all backhand and forehand.

How are you finding the Iguana so far? I need a heavier one to be sure, but my 165 is almost Cometlike.

The iguana is almost stable comet like for the high speed portion of flight but more LSS makes it more a shot shaper while the comet is more a line holder. I may change my tune when I have one really beat in but for now Gila-Iguana-Comet is an amazing trio.

I am also at 5000' so maybe a grain of salt with my opinions.

Last edited:
I have to admit the results so far are surprising. Still a lot of Roc/Roc3 and Buzzz answers.

I expected a lot more variety with all of the available options out there these days.

I kind of wonder if the Buzzz and Roc answers are mostly from people who are brand loyal to Discraft or Innova or if those molds are just hard to beat regardless of the stuff coming out from some of the newer brands.

I think you're seeing a couple of things.

One, this site unfortunately doesn't represent the majority of disc golfers. Most of us have been on here a long time, meaning we've had a long time with whatever discs we've been throwing, and for many people who've played a long time, that's the Roc and the Buzzz.

Secondly, the Buzzz really is a great disc, so there's no surprise that, even if another disc is "as good" as a Buzzz, that some people wouldn't also gravitate towards the Buzzz as much as anything else.

The Roc isn't as good of a disc, but for people who like beads, they're becoming more and more rare as disc design changes, so the Roc is one of the few discs that has that consistent bead.

Myself personally, I had stopped throwing Mids altogether for several years, relying on my throwing putters instead until the Hex came out. I threw a Buzzz at one time, and it's great, but when I lost it, and tried several replacements, just didn't find anything that stuck while discovering how much I liked putters for many of those shots. When I tried the Hex though, it just felt so good in the hand that I had to give it a chance, and, instead of taking shots back from my putters, it's taken shots from my fairway drivers. So the Hex is not just my workhorse mid. It's my only true mid.

I like my mids to be brand consistent, so it's either EMac Truth or Hex, depending on if I am going Trilogy or MVP/Axiom.

Honestly the flat topped fast midranges like, mako3, buzzz, hex, are bordering so far on the fairway territory that i don't see much point in having them in the bag lately.

^ This

is why I disced down for approach and traditional "mid" work to putters.

and why I disced up to the Kaxe for actual tweaner work, like long tunnels.

Honestly the flat topped fast midranges like, mako3, buzzz, hex, are bordering so far on the fairway territory that i don't see much point in having them in the bag lately.

Funnily enough I have recently found benefits to carrying something that's a little bit slower than the MVP mids.

^ This

is why I disced down for approach and traditional "mid" work to putters.

and why I disced up to the Kaxe for actual tweaner work, like long tunnels.
And I started throwing putters less once I got familiar with Comets. Can just smoothly send a floaty dream towards the target. Generally requires way less effort and flies and lands as softly.

I took a similar route but instead of eliminating the mids I just ditched the speed seven fairways. It basically go putter for anything under 260', mids in that 260-300' range and then just jump to speed nine discs for anything beyond that.

I started with with Buzzz - only five years ago. Since then:
Moved to the Alias - until I lost it and it went OOP
Moved to the MD (and MD2) - until they became too hard to replace as "originals"
Moved briefly to the Comet, but...meh
Moved to the Gauge...which was the Comet again
Moved to the Fuse...which was...just OK
Moved to the Piwakawaka...which was like going back to the Comet...again
Moved to the Mustang...which flew great, but hard to get a clean release
Moved to the Uplink...which I'm sure I'll stick with. Forever.

Buzz goes left and the comet goes right. Either will go straight dependent on the wind.

Prodigy M3 is trying to push the Buzz out of the lineup and the M4 is working on the comet spot. They made a lot of head way this winter but not ready to make the change yet.

I took a similar route but instead of eliminating the mids I just ditched the speed seven fairways. It basically go putter for anything under 260', mids in that 260-300' range and then just jump to speed nine discs for anything beyond that.

This is where I am more and more leaning. I like my Craves, but my Hex is so versatile and does so much that my Craves can do. My Hokom Crave is understable enough that it still has a place for turnover shots that my Hex wants to flex out of too early, but other than that, I just use the Hex so much more these days.

Latest posts