• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

803.02 Optional Relief along line of play.

how much blood do you have to shed before you can declare you can't physically take a legal stance?

Quite a lot in my case. I have several scars from getting my legs into places so I can take my stance. Mesquite thorns are quite large....I even have had to pull thorns out of my throwing hand because I misjudged my follow through.

But, I have taken the penalty just so I don't get really badly scratched or jabbed.

And one thing I've found players misunderstand or misapply with the rule is that if you are allowed to take relief due to not being able to take a stance, you are only allowed to go back immediately behind the obstacle. I've had players think they can go back as far as they want without a penalty; but if you want to go farther back along the line, it's one penalty throw.

It's similar to ball golf's unplayable lie. A ball golfer can declare their ball unplayable and take relief back along the line of play with one stroke penalty. Disc golf is the same, even though the term 'unplayable lie' isn't used. For us, it's more like "I'm not playing it from that lie".

Depends on how deep the thorn goes in.

If you don't have these on your course, I envy you.

images

:eek:

I don't think I'll be complaining about how pokey the wild raspberries and 6' tall thistles are anymore.

This week's GK Pro skins from a nearby course has this issue pop up a few times. Sometimes they go in for a stance, but once Bradley gave a big ol' Nuh-uh and picked up.

Are you here in Arizona? When I play a casual round, it's "whatever you want to do", I'm not playing you for money, standings, or anything else...so go for it. However, if we decided at the start that we are playing by the rules....that's a different matter and you don't get relief without a penalty. The only exception is:

As long as the card agrees the player can't take a legal stance, there is no penalty.

Otherwise, casual play - if we decide as a group that we don't care if you take relief. Sanctioned play - if the TD decided to allow relief from mesquite trees.

Also, as I have had discussions about before, taking a stance does NOT mean that the stance lets you throw towards the basket. If the stance only allows you to throw sideways, backwards, overhand, under branches, a slider, etc.......that is still a legal stance.

Not sure that is true in all cases. It is situational, I think.

The proper question is: How much blood is one penalty throw worth?

Depends on how deep the thorn goes in.

If you don't have these on your course, I envy you.

images

Sometimes people miss the point. No one is asking you to injure yourself. Sometimes you know the true stance will be gnarly. Just take your 1 penalty throw for optional relief, avoid the possible injury, and move on. It's one stroke, and a stoke isn't worth hurting yourself. There really isn't an argument to be made about "whether that gnarly thorny mesquite makes a stance impossible or not," because not able (at all) to take a legal stance, and not able to take a legal stance without getting cut/bruised/risking slippage/etc., are two different t things.

Latest posts