• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace pool at year end? What to do?

Shaner316

Hey guys!

Just looking for ways different clubs handle this situation.

We are just a few weeks away from our league finals (this is our first year as a club) and naturally we have a weekly ace pool.

Unfortunately, no one has hit one yet, and I'm wondering how you guys deal with the pool at your season end.

Do you just roll it into next year's league? Do a ring of fire, or CTP to get rid of it?

All opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

Toga party.

A fair number of groups will do a ctp in the area I live in. I would put it to a vote with the normal guys that show up week in week out. Good idea would be to keep a fair amount for seed money next year to bump up the player count early on. Give the idea of ctp or some kind of club party if the value is worth it ie. pizza drinks at the course last day of play.

I guess it depends on how big the ace pool is. I'd put it up to a vote between: roll it over, throw a party, put it into course improvements.

Better question: why is your league ending now? Does it start snowing in August where your league plays?

In the doubles I ran, we rolled half of it over to the next year and the other half was used as a skins prize pool on the last week. That way everyone who had contributed to the pot over the course of the season had a chance to win it.

We considered a CTP but that seemed a bit too random - one bad throw and you are out. With skins, you had a number of chances throughout the round to potentially win money.

I think that unless you have clearly stated before the league that money will roll over or not be awarded, that you should find a way to give it all out at the end of the season. Ace pots are a side bet that players paid into. So whether you choose a CTP, skins, ring of fire, etc. is of less consequence to me than do you give it all out.

In our area, we'll typically do a CTP, and depending upon the size of the pool, we'll divvy it up for multiple places -- something like 1st closest 50%, 2nd closest 30%, 3rd 20% ... or if more players, we'll go 45-30-15-10, or on down the line. We also set the CTP close enough that everyone, including juniors and women can reach the hole easily. We even sometimes will increase the amount you get for 1st closest if you ace during the CTP throw-off.

I guess it depends on how big the ace pool is. I'd put it up to a vote between: roll it over, throw a party, put it into course improvements.

Better question: why is your league ending now? Does it start snowing in August where your league plays?

(This applies to our league here in Billings; not sure about the OP.)

Our weekly park rounds start at 6pm. This time of the year we have to wrap things up because the days get shorter, and it gets dark too quickly to run our normal league format.

Soon, tho, it will be dark enough to start our weekly glow rounds at 6pm :thmbup: Everyone loves winter!

Yup same boat here. Our league also start at 6 during the week, and it's starting to get darker earlier (although a glowie league is a good idea)

We already have funds in place for a season end party and trophies/ awards, so that's not an issue.

I do like the idea of only rolling over half and using the rest to giveaway somehow (we are currently at around $250, and I expect it to finish off around 300-325 when we finish)

Please keep the ideas coming.

Well, the time to think about it was at the beginning of the season. That's past, so I'd suggest a team party. That's covered, so......

I'm no longer active, but at one time in our area we ran weekly random-draw doubles, with a points system for individual players. At the end of the year, the top 8 players were entered into sort of a championship round, and some of the funds we raised went to boost the prize pot in that round.

(This applies to our league here in Billings; not sure about the OP.)

Our weekly park rounds start at 6pm. This time of the year we have to wrap things up because the days get shorter, and it gets dark too quickly to run our normal league format.

Soon, tho, it will be dark enough to start our weekly glow rounds at 6pm :thmbup: Everyone loves winter!

Of course! I forgot about sunlight factor. I'm a dummy. The weekly/league I've played in most is at a par-3 ball golf course with floodlights throughout, that closes at 10, so we play every Monday of the year at 7pm, sunset be damned. Ace pool is always $300-$500. Great weekly.

We don't do "leagues" around here. Doubles go year round so ace always goes until someone hits it.

I like

rewarding the regulars - player's party, pizza, beer whatever for some of the money

adding some money to next season's league

CTP or ring of fire for what's left after first two

Around here a lot of leagues have Summer and Winter seasons, so in the case of the ace pot not being hit during the league season it is often a CTP throw off for half the pot with the other half carrying over to the next league season. Usually 50% for CTP after final league round and if somebody aces the throw off it is 75%. Then the next season starts with a decent size ace pool as generally the same players usually show up for both seasons.

Generally a 1-2 week break right before Michigan State Championships and then another 1-2 week break after winter.

Id cap the ace pool at $200. Then start pool B ace pool. At the end of season have a CTP throwoff for the bigger ace pool, and let the smaller pool rollover.

Ive always thought about having a tourney style CTP throw off for end of year ace pools. Top 15 advance first round, then 10/5 and so on. Makes it feel like a whole season of ace pools isnt going to one throw from a throw off. Could possible split 80/20 for 1st and 2nd in the ctp tourney.

Ideas...

Throw off for half of it and stash half of it away for next year so your ace fund starts at a decent number.

Put it towards something that will benefit the whole club: course maintenance is a must!

Throw a tourney for the top finishers in your league. Do a seeded doubles tourney or a skins match to keep things interesting. Use the extra scratch for payouts or prizes.

We always let it ride to the next season. It helps get everyone excited to play if there is a large ace pool to start.

^This.

Also I'm now using the short tees at Joralemon for the last week of the season to give everyone the best shot at cashing the Ace Pot. 4 weeks left in the season and it's over $300....... should be close to $450 if it makes it to the last week ;)

...I'm now using the short tees at Joralemon for the last week of the season to give everyone the best shot at cashing the Ace Pot.

This is what one of my old clubs did. Shorts on the last week and 3 people ended up splitting a $400+ ace pool on a course where there was rarely an ace even with 60-80 league members each week.

This is what one of my old clubs did. Shorts on the last week and 3 people ended up splitting a $400+ ace pool on a course where there was rarely an ace even with 60-80 league members each week.

There's 9 holes 280' and under on tonight's layout......... it's just that most are this: :p

53ae84c1.jpg

Latest posts