• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Amateur Tournament Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
But if the sponsors find out he just kept their money, I expect they will not sponsor any disc golf events ever again. i sponsor just about every event i play in, I have had zero returns on those sponsorships, but the money supports the club, so i will keep doing it. However if i knew the money went in the Club president's pocket, i would never give them money again. See how that works? Do you think disc golfers and sponsors are just rubes laying there to be taken?

But that's how advertising works.

When a business purchases an advertisement on your tee sign, where does the money go? About $20 goes to printing the sign, and the rest goes into the club's pocket for them to use as they see fit. Some goes to course upkeep, some goes to tournament payouts, some goes to a pizza party for the club at the end of the year.

When a business purchases a billboard on the side of the highway, where does the money go? A thousand dollars goes to printing the sign and paying the workers to install it, and the rest goes into the owner's pocket for him to use as he sees fit. Some goes to pay for maintenance, some goes to him as his salary.

When a business purchases an advertisement on the sideline of the local baseball team, where does the money go? Some of it goes to printing and installing the sign, and the rest goes in the owner's pocket for him to use as he sees fit. Some of that goes to paying players, some goes to paying maintenance workers, some goes to paying himself.

A tournament sponsorship is just a different form of advertising. If a business thinks it's worth $500 to get 100 eyeballs on their logo for two days, then they'll pay $500 and write it down as the cost of advertising. Unless they come out with specific demands about how the money gets spent, the TD is free to spend it as he sees fit.

Looks like you have this all figured out and everyone is cool with barely dressed, nearly-jailbait eye candy so I'm out.

In total seriousness, I do hope you have a good tournament and discers have a good time. And don't forget the informal DGer's motto - whoever has the most fun wins!

I'll admit it's been a while since I've walked in a Hooter's front door, but the girls you see on the TV commercials aren't the same ones that work at the site. Seems like the ones who were at the other tournament were not their greatest ambassadors.

We had a Golf Tournament many years ago that was sponsored by Twin Peaks - their Girls came out to represent their Brand and did a great job.

When a business purchases an advertisement on your tee sign, where does the money go? About $20 goes to printing the sign, and the rest goes into the club's pocket for them to use as they see fit. Some goes to course upkeep, some goes to tournament payouts, some goes to a pizza party for the club at the end of the year.

When a business purchases a billboard on the side of the highway, where does the money go? A thousand dollars goes to printing the sign and paying the workers to install it, and the rest goes into the owner's pocket for him to use as he sees fit. Some goes to pay for maintenance, some goes to him as his salary.

When a business purchases an advertisement on the sideline of the local baseball team, where does the money go? Some of it goes to printing and installing the sign, and the rest goes in the owner's pocket for him to use as he sees fit. Some of that goes to paying players, some goes to paying maintenance workers, some goes to paying himself.

A tournament sponsorship is just a different form of advertising. If a business thinks it's worth $500 to get 100 eyeballs on their logo for two days, then they'll pay $500 and write it down as the cost of advertising. Unless they come out with specific demands about how the money gets spent, the TD is free to spend it as he sees fit.

Yes, but that depends on whether the sponsors view it as advertising, or a donation. In disc golf, it's usually the latter.

if i am playing a tourney with a huge 1st prize the last thing i want is Hooters girls and sponsors on the course distracting me.

Sponsors won't be on the Course - they will be in the Main Area.

Now - if Hooters wants to be a sponsor and send their Girls, they will be more than welcome. It's part of their Brand.

True.

Luckily, we operate a Marketing company. Can get that sign printed full color with stake for about $8. Banners around $15.

Exactly.

Yep.

You get it Todd.

As long as we do what we say we are to do AND the sponsor agrees to it by paying $$ - it's a win - win for everyone. Especially the Players because there is a pool of money to provide extra amenities, prizes, etc . . .

In total seriousness, I do hope you have a good tournament and discers have a good time.

Thanks Bill.

We are going to do our absolute best to create a quality Tournament that the Players will want to play again. We do it right the first time - we'll be around for a long time. We screw it up the first time - our entry into the world of Disc Golf may be short lived.

Yes, but that depends on whether the sponsors view it as advertising, or a donation. In disc golf, it's usually the latter.

Guess we'll have to change their view on it . . .

I haven't even announced the dates, etc and already have Sponsors and Vendors ready to hand me their plastic.

We had a Golf Tournament many years ago that was sponsored by Twin Peaks - their Girls came out to represent their Brand and did a great job.

Did they re-up for the next year? Is the fact they didn't, weigh into the fact that you don't run these anymore? Was this a competitive or fun charity type event? I have run hundreds of ball golf tourneys, played in as many on a competitive level and only tourneys where it didn't matter what you shot had these type of activities, mainly charity scrambles and member guest, stag day events. It would be seriously frowned upon in any serious competitive event. The fact that you are considering it, puts you out in left field as far as I am concerned.

Did they re-up for the next year?

Was this a competitive or fun charity type event?

It was a one off Tournament for a Car Dealership group.

It would be seriously frowned upon in any serious competitive event. The fact that you are considering it, puts you out in left field as far as I am concerned.

Our tournaments are designed to be fun, exciting Tournaments for Amateurs, yet competitive. The large Prize Pool will hopefully help sell us out. We'll have to see . . .

Absolutely. Disc golf is in a weird limbo between the two.

It's hard to get high-dollar advertisements for a 1-day, 72-person event. Getting 72 pairs of eyeballs, half of them from out of town, on an advertisement for one day isn't a very powerful selling point. If you're big enough to have 50,000 YouTube views on your tournament coverage, you're running a 500-person tournament, you're running an event that's a week long, or you're running an entire series of tournaments, then businesses might see some value in sponsoring the event and will chip in actual money.

But most of the time we're running small tournaments full of people who won't even pay for a hotel room for the night. When I get a $25 hole sponsorship from my players, they're doing it just because they're generous people. I spend $2 printing and laminating a sign and then toss the other $23 into the tournament pool. Frankly, I wish I didn't have to resort to that. I don't want payouts/added cash to be funded by the players. I want it to be funded by outside sources, but I'm a bad fundraiser.

Absolutely. Disc golf is in a weird limbo between the two.

It's hard to get high-dollar advertisements for a 1-day, 72-person event. Getting 72 pairs of eyeballs, half of them from out of town, on an advertisement for one day isn't a very powerful selling point.

Any business / brand, especially local ones, can participate as a Vendor very affordably - $25 per event -or- just $100 for all the events, including the Championship.

On the Sponsors, we are reaching out to Brands in the Disc Golf space, as well as, Businesses / Brands that have a foothold in all of our Tournament cities, if not most of them.

Sponsorships are very affordable, starting with the Silver Sponsor. They receive their Logo on the Silver Co-Op Banner @ Main Area + Sign on 1 tee box. Small Logo & Mention on all marketing materials. $250 for all 4 Qualifiers and Championship.

With the exception of the Silver, all Sponsorship levels - Gold and Diamond are limited. This will help us sell all of them quickly. Of course there is only one Title Sponsor.

I have 3 bags of Sunflower Seeds that says I sell every Sponsor Package available by March 1st!

I'm gonna call it.

Troll thread.

Is Kilgus trolling us this hard? LOL. Is it coincidence that it's the same area, with the tourneys played in his hometown and around his stomping grounds? I was hoping the website would be live and was hoping it looked like a 6 year old built it like Kilgus' old tourney site. Literally nobody starts a venture and doesn't have a live website. Linking to FB is hilarious. The website doesn't have to be completed, just a "Coming Soon", with minor info. That takes literally 2 minutes.

Either way, good luck on this venture!

Honestly I think I need to just say this and I'll step away from this conversation. You need to **** off and go away. You are not a disc golfer, and you aren't event trying to understand disc golfers. You just think you can make a quick buck and are trying to capitalize. On top of that, I can tell you are going to try and push your religion along the way. Nobody should continue to answer your questions or help you not fail as much as you're already on track to do. Go find some other marketing opportunity to profit from.

And I am truly sorry to the Mods/Admins and all the real disc golfers on this site, but this is so ****ing insulting and I'm pissed. I've only been playing this game for 5 years and have only ran 3 sanctioned events, but I'm well aware of all the work everyone before me has put in for little pay or recognition, and have worked so hard to understand the culture before trying to do things the way I think they should be done. And to see this ******* come in and act like he's going to do whatever he wants because he works in marketing is infuriating. I will always root for disc golf to succeed, but I hope personally fail and ruin your reputation and go away forever.

Edit: didn't know this site censored curse words, but you get the point. Again, sorry for offending anyone besides Tom.

Honestly I think I need to just say this and I'll step away from this conversation.

Good idea since I haven't shown an ounce of malice towards you or anyone.

You just think you can make a quick buck and are trying to capitalize.

I was introduced to the sport recently and love the concept. In addition - there seems to be tons of interest from the Players. Not trying to do anything other than create an awesome tournament experience and have kick ass prizes. There will nothing "quick" about these bucks - lot's of hard work and man hours.

On top of that, I can tell you are going to try and push your religion along the way.

LOL @ "my religion" . . . I made a simple statement and mentioned that we would say a "Prayer" before the start of our events. Not like I am Jim Jones - smh.

I've only been playing this game for 5 years and have only ran 3 sanctioned events, but I'm well aware of all the work everyone before me has put in for little pay or recognition . . .

. . . and because you created "little pay" is my fault how?

I will always root for disc golf to succeed, but I hope personally fail and ruin your reputation and go away forever.

Sorry you feel this way. Happy New Year to you and yours . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts