• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Amateur Tournament Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like offering tournaments that are really different from the standard fare, and unfortunately that means not a lot of divisions (no age divisions, no juniors, no ratings-based, etc.).

Say what? Better not say that too loud in here. The yanks may give you hell about it . . .

[ I like you David - hope you come play a Qualifier with us ]

Say what? Better not say that too loud in here. The yanks may give you hell about it . . .

You comparing yourself to a respected veteran of the sport is not an even comparison when it comes to disc golf.

It also loses you even more cred.

UPDATE:

We will have two Amateur Tournament Series. Waiting to talk with the PDGA next week about format, etc and see if they will sanction us.

Each Series consists of 5 Tournaments: 4 - 1 Day Qualifier Tournaments that feed into a 2 Day Championship Finale.

Southern Classic - held in April and May 2021. Augusta, GA, Savannah, GA, Columbia, SC and Charleston, SC.

. . . and by special request:

Sunshine State Open - held in July and August 2021. Jacksonville, FL; Orlando, FL; Gainesville, FL and Tampa, FL.

Details next week . . .

FYI - all Player Entry Fees that are paid, will be held by a respected 3rd Party.

This will ensure that come Championship Sunday, the funds will be available to satisfy the Player's Prize Pool.

We are excited for things to come.

[ I like you David - hope you come play a Qualifier with us ]

Not my cup of tea, but thanks.

The non-standard events that appeal to me, and those that I've run, have little to do with financing -- except in the other direction, as low-entry, charity-fundraising or no-payout events. They're non-standard in play format: match play, team play, etc. Nothing wrong with standard divisional singles play, but it's so routine. (Which is why I know so much about PDGA waivers and X-tiers; I'm constantly shoving a square peg into a round hole).

Personally, I think you're on the wrong track, but I respect someone who actually tries something different, rather than just saying "Someone should....." If you fall on your face, well, it's your face that'll get bruised, not mine. And if you succeed, I'll be wrong, and I have plenty of experience with that, too.

...The USDGC is a single-division tournament.

But other than the USDGC, I don't remember ever seeing a singles-play event that didn't offer or wasn't open to female divisions.

in the disc golf world, it's unusual to not offer them, and if you see tournament results with no female divisions, its because they didn't register, not because they weren't offered.

With that being said, the USDGC essentially had a female version, the WNC, played on the same course and everything. If they can have a parallel event to ensure ladies get the same opportunity to play, so can his event. There's no excuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8pB_oBTz8c

It doesn't matter at this point, though. This troll person has already outed himself as a troglodyte. What miniscule credibility he had as some sort of burgeoning leader in the Disc Golf world could easily be dampened to absolute zero with two or three screenshots from DGCR, highlighting his awful reasons why half the human population doesn't deserve its own platform to participate in his revolutionary new tournament series.

He is on record stating:

(1) Female-only divisions are to be excluded initially so things will run smoothly.

So is he not capable of pulling this off unless it's guys only, or is the inclusion of women a burden to him? Or both? And he's purporting himself to be some sort of successful event-running entrepreneur?

(2) Females can just join the men's divisions, then.

A link to respectHERgame was offered in good faith explaining why this is an awful stance to take. If he read it at all, he ignored it and its points, proving an unwillingness to do homework about the culture of the sport, at the very least. His only response to that link was "This is simply a sporting event." So...the concerns of the female Disc Golfing population do not matter to him and what he defines a sporting event to be in the first place. Sporting events are apparently for men first. Got it?

At the same time, while snubbing females from participating in a division of their own, (3) he will take Hooters' money and let them put women on display as sex objects, right there in the main area. They can't play in the event, but they can fawn for the males in attendance who CAN compete for the wonderful prizes and prestige. Apparently that's what women are good for. Being on display for men while they go and do big important things.

As a father of a daughter and partner to a wonderful, successful woman, I'm sickened by this. I am certainly not alone here. What year is this anyway?

Furthermore...

(4) He has demonstrated an unwillingness to even acknowledge the reasons why an out-loud prayer from a specific religion during official festivities is a horrible idea. On top of that, he's having a prayer being led while Hooters girls blow kisses to the crowd and ultimately make money from them for it. I'm sure Jesus would approve. The hypocrisy and irony seems completely lost on this guy, if he's for real.

(5) He disparaged not only half the human population, but also everybody from a northern state too ("yanks"). Just remember if you're playing in this event and you're from a state such as Ohio or Wisconsin, its leader who is taking your money is on record thinking less of you because of your geographic location. Not a Rhodes Scholar here.

This event isn't happening. It's fiction. If I'm wrong, screenshots will prove all the ill intent and blatant incompetence and it won't even get underway without a groundswell of negative press. It's already over. But I see zero evidence that this is even real, just a guy using DGCR as a platform to prop up negativity and provoke people. A troll, by definition. Pathetic, really.

(1) Female-only divisions are to be excluded initially so things will run smoothly.

So is he not capable of pulling this off unless it's guys only, or is the inclusion of women a burden to him? Or both? And he's purporting himself to be some sort of successful event-running entrepreneur?

I disagree on this point. He's saying that he needs divisions with large fields, which he obviously does to fit his scheme, and that's highly unlikely with a female division at this time.

This event isn't happening. It's fiction. If I'm wrong, screenshots will prove all the ill intent and blatant incompetence and it won't even get underway without a groundswell of negative press. It's already over. But I see zero evidence that this is even real, just a guy using DGCR as a platform to prop up negativity and provoke people. A troll, by definition. Pathetic, really.

If it doesn't happen, I don't believe it will be because it's a fiction, but because it will run into reality -- lack of players, lack of sponsorship, or both.

If he's a troll with no intent of actually doing anything, then I'll at least admire the effort he's put into it. But I don't believe that's the case, myself.

I disagree on this point. He's saying that he needs divisions with large fields, which he obviously does to fit his scheme, and that's highly unlikely with a female division at this time.

Then he should run a parallel event, like the WNC is to the USDGC.

Then he should run a parallel event, like the WNC is to the USDGC.

How many years did the USDGC run single division, before they added a "separate but equal" event?

I find a lot of flaws in Tom's plans, but not in this aspect. It's tough enough to start something that requires large divisions, without having to include small divisions and small events too.

If it doesn't happen, I don't believe it will be because it's a fiction, but because it will run into reality -- lack of players, lack of sponsorship, or both.

If he's a troll with no intent of actually doing anything, then I'll at least admire the effort he's put into it. But I don't believe that's the case, myself.

Fair enough.

Sponsors don't want to associate themselves with negativity, by and large. That's probably where this will fail to materialize as envisioned.

How many years did the USDGC run single division, before they added a "separate but equal" event?

I find a lot of flaws in Tom's plans, but not in this aspect. It's tough enough to start something that requires large divisions, without having to include small divisions and small events too.

I have a female friend who played in the female amateur side of the USDGC in 1999.

I am in the process of creating a Virginia Match Play Championship which will involve qualifiers, etc. Sorting out what divisions I can actually use is far and away the most challenging aspect.

NADGT https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2020...-disc-golf-tour-looks-lot-like-next-gen-tour/

How did this do last year? I thought i saw a bunch of partially filled tourneys.

I don't know. PDGA site shows 95 events, but some cancelled during the first Covid wave. A random sample of events in my regions showed attendances of 72, 70, and 29 --- the latter being Augusta.

The NADGT has this weakness: If a player wants to commit for the big prize, he has to commit to 3 events --- a local one, a regional that may be hundreds of miles away, and a national that could be a thousand miles away, or more.

I believe the tournaments have big payouts, in the version of players packs, so I have no clue how much the attendance at local events was due to the NADGT structure, and how much it was just locals attending whatever local event there was.

Fair enough.

Sponsors don't want to associate themselves with negativity, by and large. That's probably where this will fail to materialize as envisioned.

I generally agree with the rest of your post. Particularly Hooters, not the image disc golf wants, though admittedly there are plenty of players who'll have no issue with it.

I find the prayer and anthem silly, but not particularly offensive. Lots of things around here start with a prayer and anthem (or pledge, to save people from revealing their singing voices). It's more ritual than religious or patriotic. But I think the intent to include them in disc golf tournaments reflects ignorance of the disc golf culture; they may be tolerated (because that culture is often tolerant, too), but would be better to omit them.

You really should just go un-sanctioned the first year and do your own thing. Being sanctioned will ultimately do nothing in regards to filling your events plus it will eliminate a few headaches as you develop your tour. And quite frankly... just make it a pro event. There really is enough am events nationwide to satisfy am players. And by being pro not only does it eliminate some headache, you will ultimately attract a much higher talent pool, maybe even elite players from all over the country. Imagine the vendor, sponsorship money opportunities rolling in for that. ;)

The prayer is silly to some, revered by some, and makes some others feel like crap too. It of course should be done in privacy quietly, as their bible specifically dictates.

Unless someone has been living under a boulder for the last few years, the forced patriotism stuff has also shown a propensity to be controversial. For good reason.

Disc Golf's mission is inclusion because its mission is growth. More female participation, more minority participation. It's not only a good cause, it will also ultimately lead to more dollars flowing to Disc Golf interests as more people join the sport. More dollars and more players means more and better Discs and courses too. It all should make sense. And we should never stand for something that undermines this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts