• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

And the PDGA strikes again!

It's not a dumb thread. In 2011 it would have been timely. We've just hashed all this out already.

My point wasn't the rule it self, although I do think that it's a bad rule (but that horse has already been beaten to death) my point was with the ambiguity of the statement from the person that makes the rules that benefit of the doubt goes to the player. Maybe it's because I'm not one of the cool kids, and usually don't have the large group of friends at events...but there has been situations where the group is made up of friends and all of a sudden these "benefits of the doubt" or "group decisions" start to really go against me. That is the issue that I have with vague rules in a sport where the competitors police themselves. Could you imagine the anarchy that would ensue in football or basketball or baseball if the players got to make the judgement calls on the people they were competing against?

My point wasn't the rule it self, although I do think that it's a bad rule (but that horse has already been beaten to death) my point was with the ambiguity of the statement from the person that makes the rules that benefit of the doubt goes to the player. Maybe it's because I'm not one of the cool kids, and usually don't have the large group of friends at events...but there has been situations where the group is made up of friends and all of a sudden these "benefits of the doubt" or "group decisions" start to really go against me. That is the issue that I have with vague rules in a sport where the competitors police themselves. Could you imagine the anarchy that would ensue in football or basketball or baseball if the players got to make the judgement calls on the people they were competing against?

You bring up a valid point. In high level tournaments of established sports, the calls are not made by the other competitors. It's an issue relating to the fringe sport status of disc golf. I think it is a necessary evil for the time being, especially for lower tier events. But there is certainly room, even now, to have different rules at majors and NTs, with requirements that each card, or at least the top cards in each division, have an official to make rulings.

I think this is an issue that needs to be cleared up. It has always been one of those issues that comes with questions and one I have gone back and forth with some local peeps on this recently.

If we can tell that the disc got wedged coming from the inside out, it is technically good. If we can tell that it wedged from the outside it is not good. We need to use some common sense here people. In the picture the PDGA created back in 2011 for instance, lets assume that we are looking at the basket from the tee. Lets say the player is a RHBH throwing and throws a hyzer shot. Odds are it wedged from the outside based on where it is. Not lets assume that the thrower is LHBH and throws his hyzer shot. Well with the disc wedged on the side of the basket that it is I would have to give the benefit of the doubt to the player. A head on wedge for either of them would likely not be an ace and one wedged on the back side of basket would be good. Unfortunately I have met way too many people playing disc golf that do not think logically so that cannot be the standard.

The way the rule is written in the rule book right now I would more likely say that all wedges should simply not count. Lets also remember that the Q & A response was written prior to the latest revision. I think this is the reason there is more conflict on this issue right now.

This is nothing new. See http://www.pdga.com/rule-changes-2011

Hole_Outs.jpg

Se also the rules Q&A number 34.

I played chess competitively for many years. Qualified for the All-Navy Chess Team four times and represented the Sailors at the Interservice Chess Championships. Was elected to the board of directors of my state association three times and served as the chairman of the military chess committee for the United States Chess Federation for time.

That said, it's comforting to know it isn't just us pocket-protecting, wood-pushing geeks who feel the need to iron out issues like these. :)

Back to your regularly scheduled programming....

The ruling is clear. Your lacking understanding of the english language is not the PDGA's fault.

Im kinda surprised the ammount of people that dont know this rule.

If the shot is blind, and no one saw it wedge. It counts.

:clap: Your locations makes that statement even better :thmbup:

You are not the first to tell me this, but I really dont get it ^^

What I do find ironic (sometimes it borders to pitiful) is the amount of people with locations in america that don't get the difference between there, their and they're.

The ruling is clear. Your lacking understanding of the english language is not the PDGA's fault.

Um...I understand the english language very well thank you very much, one of us is a professional writer and I am sure that is me (if you are as well then I retract my statement)

The rule clearly states: "come to rest supported by the chains and/or the inner cylinder (bottom AND inside wall) of the tray"

You do understand the difference between "AND" and "OR" right?

What I do find ironic (sometimes it borders to pitiful) is the amount of people with locations in america that don't get the difference between there, their and they're.

It shocks me that you are the grammar police and you don't understand the difference between "AND" and "OR"

I think he is impressed with your command of the English language. Even more so, since your location is Switzerland, where English may not be your native tongue.

This is Dumb you know what the rule is if not before certainly now. I understand this is a Forum where you can rant and or rave but come on now. ITs a rule and its simple if you dont see it go through it counts... Im just not sure how people dont know and understand rules. Im not stickler by any means (Im not a D*ck about them) but shouldnt you at least know the rules of your favorite sport/activity? NOW back to my Goldfish and paperwork.

Latest posts