• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anniversary/Dg trip!

Tfire25

Double Eagle Member
Let me start by saying that my wife is awesome. Now that I've met my kiss butt quota, lets get to the fun stuff.

My wife and I will be married for ten years on dec 18 and we are planning a trip. She says to me last night those golden words, "lets make Dg a part of the trip"! Of course you have to play it cool on the outside, but on the inside I'm jumping up and down like a kid at Christmas. We've been married with children since high school so this will be our first trip alone together so I would like for it to be special.

I have Colorado as my one seed because of all the things that can be done in winter but idk if Dg is playable there that time of year.

I'm looking for suggestions to anywhere and I would appreciate any feedback about locations, lodging, activities and what the Dg courses are like. Thanks guys!

Where you at mashnut? I know you've played everywhere with your wife, what are some good destinations?

Colorado is pretty much covered in snow right now with most likely more coming. So depending on your feelings about playing snow and temps below 40, that may sway your descion. But the Denver area may not be too bad. Not sure about the conifer area.

I'm really pushing towards Colorado. Where would be my best bet to stay? We want to go snowmobiling, skiing, and Dg. Probably some hot springs as well.

What about somewhere on the east coast where you can have access to the mountains but be close to the ocean so that its decently warm?

Well... for snowmobiling, skiing, and hot springs I would suggest the town I live in, Steamboat Springs. We usually get a large Texas tourist crowd actually. However, disc golfing options will be be limited. But there will be plenty of options between Texas and here fro DG.

i don't know how compatible i would consider snowmobile opportunities and disc golf opportunities. I really prefer not to play in the snow. If it were me for a winter trip i would go somewhere nice and warm with good disc golf like so cal or florida but that's me.

It doesn't have to have snow but that's the best I could come up with. It just seems like a fun anniversary. I'm open to any options though. The only kind of vacations we have ever been on have been centered around the kids. I guess we are just looking for some advice on some places to go that have good Dg and what kind of other activities could be enjoyed in the area.

Personally, I would go to the beach. Tampa-St. Pete, Clearwater area is excellent for both beaching and discing.

Congrats on 10 years. I don't know how many Colorado courses are open in the winter, or playable, but there are some fun courses in the Denver area and it's very close to a lot of good skiing. A couple years ago we went to Denver in the early spring, played some DG and hiked up a glacier, which was pretty fun.

I know farther north in the mountains there are a lot of courses that are closed during the winter for the season. I've played some courses in the summer in the mountains that were a blast, but they actually were ski resorts in the winter.

If your heart is set on Colorado, here are some winter tips.

If you want to ski and snowmobile, I would recommend the Winter Park/Frazier area, assuming they have the snow cover. I've seen a lot of years where the snow just doesn't seriously fly until Christmas or later. This is why Colorado resorts have invested heavily in snow-making equipment. I wouldn't plan on playing any DG locally there, the courses most likely won't be playable/open.

That said, you are still only 2 hours from Denver, where your chances of playing will be much greater, due to the elevation change. Assuming your trip will be around Dec.18th, keep in mind these are the shortest days of the year, and it will be COLD in the morning, and then getting COLD again in the late afternoon. Dress for it and get some hand warmers and you'll get through it, but coming from Texas you will feel it more than a local would. If you're lucky with the weather, you might even be able to play Phantom Falls, as it has a southern exposure and may be playable.

December is obviously not the ideal time for DG in Colo., but it's not out of the question, either. Just know what you're getting in to. Happy Anniversary! :clap:

if you go to CO, expect not to play golf. the courses that aren't in the mountains (the ones that will be playable) are not impressive.

i did only play a handful of non-mountain courses around Denver & Fort Collins but i wouldn't drive 30 mins to play a single one of them again. nothing that will compare to decent courses in DFW that you're used to playing. imagine a place full of courses like Green Briar and LL Woods... and Amigo park is the best course within 45 mins.

could still be cool, could still be worth it, but the courses available to you will probably be mediocre at best. it would be like just to say you did, not for any real thrills.

my biased but honest 2 cents

i agree with the people that said go to the beach. San Diego or Florida maybe.

or if you have the money to spend, go to Nantucket and check out the new Houck course!

if you go to CO, expect not to play golf. the courses that aren't in the mountains (the ones that will be playable) are not impressive.

i did only play a handful of non-mountain courses around Denver & Fort Collins but i wouldn't drive 30 mins to play a single one of them again. nothing that will compare to decent courses in DFW that you're used to playing. imagine a place full of courses like Green Briar and LL Woods... and Amigo park is the best course within 45 mins.

could still be cool, could still be worth it, but the courses available to you will probably be mediocre at best. it would be like just to say you did, not for any real thrills.

my biased but honest 2 cents

I also sadly have to agree with this. Co. Springs/Denver/Boulder/Ft. Collins areas are lacking in quality courses, for sure. No disrespect to the locals that work hard on what they have.

These are some great ideas guys! We've always done summer vacations and I think my wife's heart is set on something with skiing. I just did an end of the year budget and with Christmas coming up we probably have to wait till the first of January. I would rather take away from the trip than my kids Christmas so I'm thinking about somewhere closer than steamboat springs. That's about 15 hrs from me and about as far from Texas as one can get in Colorado.

What about somewhere like red river New Mexico or a little bit into Colorado? That would cut about 6 hrs of driving but I don't know what the Dg scene is like up there.

Orlando

My wife and I and our 8 year old daughter just returned from Orlando. That place had amazing courses (Turkey Lake). With Epcot for the adults and plenty of other things. Plus it was a 1'15" from Tampa. My daughter and myself played the course in Clearwater that Climo calls home. My top 3 courses out of 150. Also a bunch of great course in the Tampa Area like a disc golf course on a beach. We really enjoyed the Tampa area as it has a lot to offer besides disc golf. I also really enjoyed the Southern California but I have not had to much experience in that area. What about the Lake Tahoe area?

Phantom Falls is open and almost always playable all winter long.

This is a good option. And the option to ski isn't far away. Do some research, some of the courses on the front range aren't horrible if you just wanna throw some plastic. Just don't expect to throw any "mountain courses".

And Mashnut has yet to do much exploring in Colorado. I'm sure he'll be here next summer.:thmbup::popcorn::popcorn:

Last edited: