• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Another Bag Building Challenge

swhite

Double Eagle Member
I liked Finny's bag building challenge from earlier this month, and decided to try a similar one. The concept for this one is simple. But, if you are like me, you may find that you cannot seem to settle on a result that you agree with a week later.

Here is the challenge. Create a bag of discs that would best serve you. The requirements for this bag must follow the following set of rules:

1. You must choose a disc brand for each speed 1-14. You cannot leave any speed empty. Each brand you choose is based on the disc(s) of that speed that you want in your bag. So, for example, if you insist on bagging a Predator, then your speed 9 brand must be Discraft.

2. Each brand may only be used for one speed category. So, for example, if you choose Innova for speed 5, then you cannot use Innova again for speed 9. So, choose wisely.

3. When you enter your list of brands, please also, state the name(s) of the mold(s) from this brand that interest you at this speed.

4. Commentary about your choices is welcome, but not manditory.

5. For any commentary, be positive! If you are not feeling particularly enthusiastic about your choice at a particular speed, try to sell us on it anyway!

That's it. You will find that the resulting bag is rather large, but heck, this is just an exercise.

Feel free to utilize websites such as Marshall St disc golf and Infinite Discs to assist you in recalling brands and molds.

Here are my choices: (I chose to make my list in descending order)

14. Westside - World, Catapult, King, Destiny, Queen - Lots of strong choices here, in my view.
13. MVP - Energy, Nitro, Octane, Catalyst - Considered other brands instead, but, as Phil Liggett would say, the peloton would have a dim view of that.
12. Dynamic Discs - Enforcer, Trespass - very competitive speed category. I wonder if any will agree with my choice.
11. Millenium - Astra, AstraX, Aries - Just admitting you throw these proves you are cool.
10. Discmania - PD, TD, TD2 - The PD alone gives it a strong showing.
9. Innova - Firebird, Thunderbird, Valkyrie, Sidewinder - Look at this list. Nuff said.
8. Discraft - Undertaker, Mantis, XL, XS - I so wanted to use Discraft elsewhere also, but it's time to give some OOP discs some love.
7. Legacy - Rival, Patriot, (maybe Phenom?) - Just try to tell Legacy lovers not to include these.
6. Kastaplast - Kaxe, Kaxe Z - Pure awesomeness, and look, more awesomeness!
5. Prodigy - M1, M2, M3, M4, M5 - They've got it covered.
4. Latitude 64 - Compass, Fuse - super reliable. And, I think the Anchor goes here too.
3. Gateway - Wizard, Voodoo, Warlock, Magic - this is like a million different choices! And that's just the Wizard.
2. Axiom - Envy - had other strong contenders here also. Don't they wish they got the spot.
1. Aerobie - the Arrow - yes! for the win!

I am not claiming to be the final authority on the perfect list. My experience is limited. And, so, I am looking forward to your thoughts.

1: Aerobic (Arrow) What else is there?
2: Axiom (Envy and Proxy) Both feel amazing and the only thing more amazing is their flight into headwinds.
3: Gateway (Wizard, etc.) The Wizard is quite possibly the best putter ever!
4: Hyzerbomb (Mortar) OS cycleable Mid thank you!
5: RDG (Gila) Same as above
6: Kastaplast (Kaxe, Kaxe Z) Perfect for when you need more D than a Mid but still that kind of control.
7: Legacy (Rival, Patriot) All of your fairway needs!
8: Discraft (Undertaker, XL) Same as above
9: Innova (FireBird, ThunderBird, Savant, Valk, Sidewinder, RR) FH rollers to BH rollers and everything in between.
10: Discmania (PD, TD, TD2, CD) PD alone is good, add in the TD and CD for the tight stuff and a TD2 for rollers and these could be the only drivers you could need.
11: Millennium (Astra-X, Aries, Astra) Stuff you just don't see on the course but flies really well.
12: Dynamic (Enforcer, Trespass) Honestly could've been Discraft or Innova but you can cover all the lines with these even if these are the max D drivers that you carry.
13: MVP (Energy, Nitro, Octane, Catalyst) I usually don't throw over speed 12 so these wouldn't be used much unless I absolutely need a skip at the end of my flight.
14: Westside (World, Catapult, Destiny, King, Queen) Same as above

Speed Company Mold

1. Kastaplast - Berg
2. Innova - Aviar P&A
3. Latitude 64 - Pure
4. Westside - Harp
5. Dynamic Discs - EMac Truth
6. MVP - Resistor
7. Discmania - FD
8. Discraft - XS
9. Millenium - Orion LF
10. DGA - Hellfire
11. Gateway - Illusion
12. Prodigy - D3
13. Vibram - Solace
14. Legacy - Rampage

1. Hefty Paper Plate. Wouldn't need a 1 speed disc, so I'll bring a plate for snacks after the round.
2. Reptillian Fossil Scales. Nice overstable putter.
3. Gateway Soft Wizards. Best Putters/Throwers around.
4. Discraft Z Comets. Best Mid Around when there is not wind.
5. Millenium Q Sentinel. Great Stable Disc for some wind.
6. Innova Viper (DX and Champion) DX wear into good Mid to Fairway Bridge, Champ for super overstable duty.
7. Legacy Pinnacle Rivals. Some fly like Teebirds some like Eagles, either way they're great.
8. Vibram Onyx. Maybe use it for rollers.
9. Dynamic Discs Lucid Felons. Great wind fighter.
10. Discmania C Line PDs. Great disc for wind and beats to straight.
11. Viking Discs Ragnarok. Just because it filled the 11 spot. Plus it sounds bad ass.
12. DGA Hurricanes (P-Line and SP) Completely underrated disc.
13. Latitude 64 Gold Line Bolt for super flippy shots and rollers.
14. Westside Tournament Kings. Just because you said we had to fill them all.

1. Hefty Paper Plate. Wouldn't need a 1 speed disc, so I'll bring a plate for snacks after the round.
2. Reptillian Fossil Scales. Nice overstable putter.
3. Gateway Soft Wizards. Best Putters/Throwers around.
4. Discraft Z Comets. Best Mid Around when there is not wind.
5. Millenium Q Sentinel. Great Stable Disc for some wind.
6. Innova Viper (DX and Champion) DX wear into good Mid to Fairway Bridge, Champ for super overstable duty.
7. Legacy Pinnacle Rivals. Some fly like Teebirds some like Eagles, either way they're great.
8. Vibram Onyx. Maybe use it for rollers.
9. Dynamic Discs Lucid Felons. Great wind fighter.
10. Discmania C Line PDs. Great disc for wind and beats to straight.
11. Viking Discs Ragnarok. Just because it filled the 11 spot. Plus it sounds bad ass.
12. DGA Hurricanes (P-Line and SP) Completely underrated disc.
13. Latitude 64 Gold Line Bolt for super flippy shots and rollers.
14. Westside Tournament Kings. Just because you said we had to fill them all.

Good list, except for the speed 1 paper plate.
Everyone knows the Hefty brand plates are speed 0.5 at best. On the other hand, if it were a Chinet plate, now we're in business.:D

1- Yikun Claws
2-RDG Serp/Scale
3-Axiom Proxy/Envy
4-Daredevil Walrus/Moose/Caribu
5- Dynamic Justice/EMac Truth/Truth
6-Kastaplast Kaxe/Kaxe Z
7- Innova Banshee/Teebird/Eagle/TL
8-Gateway Assasin/Apache
9-Discraft Flick/Predator/Avenger/Undertaker
10-DGA Hellfire
11-MVP Photon/Motion
12-Vibram Solace/O-Lace/Lace/Unlace
13-Lat 64- Stiletto/Bolt/Cutlass/Gladiator
14- Westside- King/World/Destiny

And a huge bottle of Advil after carrying all of that.

1- Yikun Claws
2-RDG Serp/Scale
3-Axiom Proxy/Envy
4-Daredevil Walrus/Moose/Caribu
5- Dynamic Justice/EMac Truth/Truth
6-Kastaplast Kaxe/Kaxe Z
7- Innova Banshee/Teebird/Eagle/TL
8-Gateway Assasin/Apache
9-Discraft Flick/Predator/Avenger/Undertaker
10-DGA Hellfire
11-MVP Photon/Motion
12-Vibram Solace/O-Lace/Lace/Unlace
13-Lat 64- Stiletto/Bolt/Cutlass/Gladiator
14- Westside- King/World/Destiny

And a huge bottle of Advil after carrying all of that.

Agreed. I would seriously consider a cart for this lot. And a sherpa.

1- Yikun Claws
2- Millennium Omega
3- Prodiscus Jokeri
4- Daredevil mids
5- Westside Bard
6- Innova Gazelle
7- RDG Tyrant
8- MVP Volt
9- Discraft Heat
10- Discmania PD
11- DGA Sail
12-
13- Vibram Unlace
14-

No clue on speed 12 driver because the only one I have thrown is the Wraith but I already use Innova. Never thrown any speed 14 drivers.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

1 - Yikun Claws
2 - Gateway Wizard
3 - Axiom Envy and Proxy
4 - Westside Harp
5 - DD solid mid lineup
6 - Kastaplast Kaxe/Kaxe Z
7 - Legacy Rival, Patriot, Phenom
8 - Latitude 64 XXX
9 - Discraft Pred and Undertaker
10 - Discmania PD
11 - Millennium Astra and AstraX
12 - Innova Destroyer
13 - Prodigy D Series
14 - MVP Dimension, Teleport

This was pretty fun!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

1- Yikun Claws
2- Millennium Omega
3- Prodiscus Jokeri
4- Daredevil mids
5- Westside Bard
6- Innova Gazelle
7- RDG Tyrant
8- MVP Volt
9- Discraft Heat
10- Discmania PD
11- DGA Sail
12-
13- Vibram Unlace
14-

No clue on speed 12 driver because the only one I have thrown is the Wraith but I already use Innova. Never thrown any speed 14 drivers.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Nice bag! And it matches your current, rather eclectic bag, rather well. I see that you have not limited yourself to a specified set of pet brands as some do.

I had considered a follow-up challenge of removing 7 of the choices from the original 14, creating a new "half-bag", and then reflecting on how suitable the resulting bag of discs would be. I expect that you would still find a workable bag with such a list.

1 - Yikun Claws
2 - Gateway Wizard
3 - Axiom Envy and Proxy
4 - Westside Harp
5 - DD solid mid lineup
6 - Kastaplast Kaxe/Kaxe Z
7 - Legacy Rival, Patriot, Phenom
8 - Latitude 64 XXX
9 - Discraft Pred and Undertaker
10 - Discmania PD
11 - Millennium Astra and AstraX
12 - Innova Destroyer
13 - Prodigy D Series
14 - MVP Dimension, Teleport

This was pretty fun!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

When I looked at your choices, I thought, "I might actually like this list better than the one I submitted!" There are several differences between yours and mine, but all the choices are appealing to me.

I have read of people suggesting - I suppose in jest - that they go to a course and switch bags with another player for a fun round; for the kicks, or the challenge, or to demonstrate how superior their own bag of discs is. Perhaps some have done this. I am beginning to think that I might have just as much fun and success with any experienced player's chosen discs. As Obi-wan/Philo says, "it's the archer, not the arrow."

1 - Quest 10M Brick?
2 - Lightning #2 Putter? I have no idea about these 2
3 - Discraft Zone
4 - Innova Roc, Wedge
5 - Discmania MD3? Since I already used Innova, this might be a stand-in for the Roc3
6 - Yikun View? Only thing left in MSt's guide I don't have a mfr for this speed
7 - Millenium Polaris LS
8 - ABC Flying Squirrel, because why not?
9 - Daredevil Mammoth
10 - Axiom Insanity
11 - Legacy Renegade
12 - MVP Wave
13 - Prodiscus Fasti
14 - Vibram Lace

1 - Quest 10M Brick?
2 - Lightning #2 Putter? I have no idea about these 2
3 - Discraft Zone
4 - Innova Roc, Wedge
5 - Discmania MD3? Since I already used Innova, this might be a stand-in for the Roc3
6 - Yikun View? Only thing left in MSt's guide I don't have a mfr for this speed
7 - Millenium Polaris LS
8 - ABC Flying Squirrel, because why not?
9 - Daredevil Mammoth
10 - Axiom Insanity
11 - Legacy Renegade
12 - MVP Wave
13 - Prodiscus Fasti
14 - Vibram Lace

Nice list.

I can tell that you have been playing disc golf for a bit if you remember the 10m brick from Quest. I have only been playing for a few years, and unfortunately have never seen one during that time.
I live relatively close to Marshall St, and have checked out the remaining Quest stock that they still have; all drivers - Defenders, Infernos and such. The plastic looks like perhaps it would not measure up to today's newer stuff. But, how cool would it be to be crushing drives with one of those dimpled Defenders.

I played a round today with a guy that was using his Flying Squirrel for most of his upshots. It was more stable than I imagined that disc would be. Not overstable, but pretty straight.
And, coincidentally, given your list, he was also using a very beat up Polaris LS for turnover upshots. That disc was extremely flippy.

1. Innova - Polecat: Seems odd to burn Innova right away with the slowest disc category but the Kitty is probably the best disc they make. :|
2. Element - Plutonium: Awesome putter, especially for putting.
3. MVP - Ion: (o)(o)
4. Discraft - Comet: They're pretty good, I guess.
5. Dynamic - Verdict: I'd go with Nebula personally but I've already used Discraft so this DD similar disc works.
6. Kastaplast - Kaxe: Sure.
7. Legacy - Rival: Safe pick.
8. DGA - Pipeline: I have no idea.
9. Discmania - PD: The Finnish Teebird.
10. Westside - Boatman: The Finnish, uh, Surge.
11. Axiom - Insanity: underrated flyer.
12. Prodigy - D2: I'm running out of brands here, maybe this won't suck.
13. Vibram - Lace: Actually bomb pretty well.
14. Latitude 64 - Ballista: Seems like it should be decent.

1. Innova - Polecat: Seems odd to burn Innova right away with the slowest disc category but the Kitty is probably the best disc they make. :|
2. Element - Plutonium: Awesome putter, especially for putting.
3. MVP - Ion: (o)(o)
4. Discraft - Comet: They're pretty good, I guess.
5. Dynamic - Verdict: I'd go with Nebula personally but I've already used Discraft so this DD similar disc works.
6. Kastaplast - Kaxe: Sure.
7. Legacy - Rival: Safe pick.
8. DGA - Pipeline: I have no idea.
9. Discmania - PD: The Finnish Teebird.
10. Westside - Boatman: The Finnish, uh, Surge.
11. Axiom - Insanity: underrated flyer.
12. Prodigy - D2: I'm running out of brands here, maybe this won't suck.
13. Vibram - Lace: Actually bomb pretty well.
14. Latitude 64 - Ballista: Seems like it should be decent.

I have seen that some few members of this forum swear by the Polecat, and had wondered if anyone would make the bold move of using up Innova with speed 1. Bully for you! Stand by your convictions.

But, Oh no! You have chosen another Discraft disc over the Nebula? What can we count on in this world if not that BrotherDave will always be working the fairways with one. It is a good thing this is only an exercise. I suspect you could find yourself on some narrow fairway, with an uncertain prospect of attaining par, reaching into your bag of discs, only to cry in shock, "what have I done?!!!"

What flight chart is everyone using for this? I'm using MSt which has the Lace and UnLace listed as 14's...

I have seen that some few members of this forum swear by the Polecat, and had wondered if anyone would make the bold move of using up Innova with speed 1. Bully for you! Stand by your convictions.

But, Oh no! You have chosen another Discraft disc over the Nebula? What can we count on in this world if not that BrotherDave will always be working the fairways with one. It is a good thing this is only an exercise. I suspect you could find yourself on some narrow fairway, with an uncertain prospect of attaining par, reaching into your bag of discs, only to cry in shock, "what have I done?!!!"

Fortunately there are more Nebula clones than Comet clones. I don't even own a comet but respect is due.

What flight chart is everyone using for this? I'm using MSt which has the Lace and UnLace listed as 14's...

Good question!

You're right that the Marshall St Disc Golf chart has both Lace and UnLace listed as speed 14. And, I generally follow that chart as a good reference.

But, I recognize that people will have different views on the actual speeds of particular molds; views that may differ from the Mst chart.

In fact, I don't agree with everything on the Mst chart. For instance, I do not believe that a Westside Catapult is in fact a speed 14 disc, as listed on Mst and other sites. I would probably put it around speed 12. Someone else could disagree with me, perhaps saying it is speed 13 (or 11).

And, it is my view that a Kastaplast Kaxe is a speed 5 disc, not speed 6 as is generally given around the web. My view is based on throwing a Kaxe in a field alongside some other speed 5 and 6 discs, and seeing that the Kaxe is generally slower than the speed 6 discs (like a Leopard), and slower, in fact, than some speed 5 discs (like the Stingray, which another site puts at speed 4!). This is my own view, however. And, I recognize that it is not worth getting in a fight with others about trivial issues like listed disc speeds.

Now, if someone were suggesting that the Vibram Lace should be put at a speed vastly different than speed 14, then I would call shenanigans.

So, when a person responds to this challenge, and makes a list where discs are in somewhat different speed positions than I would place them, I still view the list as valid - and interesting, in fact, because they may be saying, "Here are the discs that I choose, and in the positions that I believe they truly belong".

Latest posts