• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Any driver suggestions?

buzzkid

I have been messing around a lot with max distance drivers. I have been having issues with consistently getting my drive out past 400'. The issue that has been arising for me is that I cannot find a dis that is stable enough but not too over-stable. I was using the 156 Blizzard Boss and started throwing rollers with it, then I tried the Nuke but didn't like it because the rim is GIGANTIC, then I tried the 174 Nuke SS and it ended up throwing a roller. I used to use 170 Forces but I just couldn't get it past the 350' mark at all. Anybody have any suggestions?

Distance Drivers

My two 400+ discs on a great day are none other than a NUKESS 177 and rare factory second ORC. Although the rim on even DX ORCS is one of a kind. Any idea on the Innova equivalent to Discrafts NUKE?

Dean

Star Destroyer, non Vulcan top. You're welcome.

But you may get some hate about only throwing 400ft (+) that you need to stay away from high speeds. But it's what ever floats your boat.

Star Destroyer, non Vulcan top. You're welcome.

But you may get some hate about only throwing 400ft (+) that you need to stay away from high speeds. But it's what ever floats your boat.

What do you mean get some hate? lol

I always love the 'Only 400+' comments. Like everyone else here can consistently get 400+ with 4 speed Rocs and 500+ with 7 speed Teebirds. So you're Nuke should be hitting AT LEAST 700..

I watched my buddy EricBasile blast a Teebird over 400 feet yesterday, so it is doable, but yeah, most people cant stretch a Fairway out that far.

I'm going to toss an unpopular suggestion out there: try a Krait. I love my Kraits (see my sig) and it was the first driver I got out over 400 feet. I have fat little sausage fingers, so I agree the wide-rimmed drivers can be tough to grip. I can blast a King, but the VIP Air is so understable that I generally have to hyzer flip, which works well for my grip.

I digress...
Try out a Krait. Ive found them to be pretty neutral/stable and very workable. Great for true golf shots, fights the wind well, can handle a flick and can also take quite a bit of mustard as well. Its a fun disc. Get one about 171-175 and throw it chest level, flat and hard. Watch it zip.

Last edited:
If the rim on the Blizzard Boss you said wasn't bothering you try the Lat64 Halo. My personal favorite disc and the rim is slightly smaller than the Boss'. The Halo is overstable and glides like a true Lat64 does which will get you the distance you are searching for. I can get mine out to 450' on a consistant basis by throwing FH.

If the rim on the Blizzard Boss you said wasn't bothering you try the Lat64 Halo. My personal favorite disc and the rim is slightly smaller than the Boss'. The Halo is overstable and glides like a true Lat64 does which will get you the distance you are searching for. I can get mine out to 450' on a consistant basis by throwing FH.

What weight and plastic? I forgot about these somehow...:doh:

sounds to me like you just need to adjust your throw angle on the discs you have. if it's flying to overstable put some wrist action on it and flex it out. if it's flying to understable put some hyzer on it and flip it up.

sounds to me like you just need to adjust your throw angle on the discs you have. if it's flying to overstable put some wrist action on it and flex it out. if it's flying to understable put some hyzer on it and flip it up.

I release pretty much everything flat or hyzer. I don't really like to release anhyzer because I feel it is not as predictable unless I am doing an upshot around trees or something. If I have a turning drive I use one of my beat in Teebirds because I can control those better than any disc I have owned. I am just looking for max distance that I can trust. I tend to only break out big drivers for wide open holes, otherwise I use my Teebirds.

The Gold Line plastic and weight strictly comes down to what you like to throw. I personally have a 170 and it flys perfect.

How does it handle wind? My main course is in a really flat area so there is a fair amount of wind.

If you are looking for something stable and fast, I would say Halo. It has a large rim but it is shallow so it is not near as uncomfortable for me. I have been getting much cleaner releases with it. I can usually get it out past 420', though I do not often break 440-450'.

That being said, I used to throw Quasars. They are nice, and I know they are often compared to Bosses, somehow they fly differently for me. The Sword might be a good choice too. Lastly, if all else fails, pick up some Pro Wraiths.