• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Any Sidewinder Love?

how are sidewinders different then roadrunners?

one is a snake the other is a bird.

:p

roadrunner has a little more high speed turn and less fade at the end. Innova's flight chart has them as almost identical, but from my experience (and watching other people throw them) they are noticeably different.

Roadrunner is a good first fast driver for newer players. Sidewinder is good for those maxing out around 300-325'.

I love my Sidewinder. I only just got it in the fall, but it's definitely staying in the bag.

DISCMEISTER- how far do you throw your Teebird on average?[/QUOTE]

I average about 280 with my star teebird. I can get further with a champ Teebird but I prefer the more stable star for wind and shot consistency. My RR averages about 320. RRs vary a lot. My first was a 170 that was great. My second a 167 that was stable and disappointed me to no end. I could not get it to flip straight. My 3rd and current one is a 163 x-0ut, which flies just like my first, the 170.

sidwinder was one of the disc I started to play with when I got back into discgolf(stoped playing for 15yrs.) was easy to throw for me. I have several in different broken in stages ,some good for rollers,some for hyzer flippin,and some for touch shots.got away from throwing them as I got into faster disc ,but still a fave of mine, great on wooded courses when broken in .light ones are nice.!

I am a big fan of the Sidewinder. I have gone through several (lost, traded, given away to my brother), but they always seem to make it back into my bag. I throw at 4000'+ of elevation, so having something that you can still turn over is pretty important.

Just yesterday, I parked a 420' drive (slight downhill/slight tailwind) and a 350' controlled anhyzer with my beat 175 Star Sidewinder (FSM dye).

I borrowed a DX Sidewinder from a friend and threw it in the pond at Cranberry Valley. I shouldn't have thrown it from the first tee, pond is on the right. I bought a couple replacements and had great fun with them. Great anny discs, I still throw it almost exclusively on hole 3, 7, and 8. The DX is getting a little beat up and likes to turn and burn now. I bought a Champ in the marketplace and I love that disc. So straight and holds the anny line even better, just not good grip in the rain. I'll probably keep both in my bag until the end of time.

A buddy has one, wanted a controlable long distance driver, but his is a meathook. We wonder if it's a misstamp.

Its either a misprint, or he has some bad form going on there. I've never met a sidewinder that was a meathook unless the person throwing it has no business doing so.

Not saying I have great form, but I'be thrown it as well and it's pretty overstable. He uses it as his utility disc. I'll have to check it out better next time I see him.

The SW served me well again today - I'm able to put it on a fairly straight line for 200+ft now ... which is good for me (I'm just past the 'can't find my release point' stage - 2 months in). I really love the feeling Champs get as you wear them in too - they almost get 'soft'.

I threw CSW for years,Lats have kind of tak'n over. But I always keep a beat up one in my bag for that Must Turn No Matter What shot.

first driver and still in my bag and used often. it was my primary distance disc untill i got my hands on a pro katana

How do you use a roadrunner if you can't throw a SW cleanly?

I throw RR's far and straight, sidewinders are rollers . I use a two finger power grip so I do get a little less side travel. I don't know exactly why but they are junk to me. I don't like rr's much either, a jls flies the same way only with more D and less skeetering.

A Sidewinder (or Avenger SS if you prefer Discraft) is money in both the hyzer-flip beeline category or the high-line, high-speed turnover shot category. The key is to give it some height to work with. It is simply not the same as an overstable driver that must stay low to the ground and should be thrown differently to properly utilize the strength of the disc. It won't be uncommon to see someone with experience with the disc throw them 30' - 50' above the ground to allow the disc to hit the line and/or distance they are intending. They work just fine for shots over 400', especially with a tailwind!

Even though I haven't thrown mine in awhile, i still like the SW. A CH 168 SW was the first disc I found, and man I loved that thing. I could FH it to about 280 lazor straight after only a couple of weeks playing. Then I FH n00b hyzer'd it never to be seen again, and man was I bummed. I probably looked for it for about 2 hours. Then I ordered a 169 star from PIAS, but when i threw it it was more stable then my last one and less glidy. So then I threw it against a tree for awhile, and it flew a bit better. Since I was still a mega n00b then, I found some different disc to use then used that for awhile, and forgot how to throw a good FH in favor of backhand. Now I don't ever really throw my SW, because its pretty flippy. This thread has inspired me to get out and toss it again though. It gets mondo tailwind D.

I've got two, one is a champ 168, and the other is a champ 171. I was bummed yesterday when I threw the 168 into a lake. I was pin high, but left 50' and went straight into the water (FH throw that did not fade like I expected it to). Was overjoyed when someone called and said they found it.

Anybody notice rim variation in the sidewinder? I bought what I thought was a CFR TL in the used bin the other day only to discover SW was marked next to the weight. The bottom of the rim is straight like a TL but maybe 1 mm. wider. I have a DX and a production champ sidewinder that have a very noticeable curvature on the underside of the rim. I haven't thrown it yet but this thing is so beat that I'm not sure if it would tell me anything.

my SW is probably my favorite disc. it is beat to all hell and way to flippy for most tee shots but it turns very predictably and is a great fairway driver. it is also great for up hill shots. if you hit it at the right angle it will rise up an once it crests the hill it will flatten out and go for days. definitely the meat in my disc golf game

Well, almost 3 months later and my form has improved considerably. I now know when NOT to throw the S'winder, but still find it's one of my top drivers for sheer distance. It's pretty much the disc I've learned hyzer-flips with and can throw 320ft consistently (and more importantly - accurately) with it, and have graduated into the other Speed 9 drivers for my flat release distance shots (Valk and Viking). I mention my distance because I was barely hitting 250ft on a regular basis when I wrote this post; and definitely had no idea what a clean hyzer-flip looked like.

Well ... I probably love it at this point because it's the only distance driver I can throw with consistency (and not a meathook). Anyone else a SW fan? I'm throwing a 168g Champ - will probably be the first disc I wear the stamp off of (it's about half gone after 2 months).

Latest posts