• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are Tourneys Fun?

Do you enjoy tourney play?

• Yes

Votes: 214 72.5%
  • No

Votes: 52 17.6%
  • Haven't played in a tourney yet

Votes: 29 9.8%

• Total voters

Halcón

Free At Last
Many of us compete for various reasons. But do you actually have fun playing in tournaments?

Hello my friend bigsky!!!

Heck yeah, tourneys are so fun. Especially when you have a group of people with a similar skillset. I think the pressure, the competition make it so much more entertaining than a casual round. I love casual rounds, but there is a different vibe in tournaments. I love it.

Are you not having fun in tourneys? May I ask, why you ask this question?

Absolutely love tournaments. I 100% don't mind losing to better players, but it's a royal pita to lose because of stupid mental mistakes and poor play.

Very fun. They put your mind to the test and your heart rate up. Tourney times definitely time to step your game up! And it shows you how you do under pressure.

I've had a ton of fun at every tournament I've been too!

For me they are. I love the feeling in my stomach when a big putt or a critical drive is coming up. Overcoming that and making the shot is what always makes me come back.

Tournys suck. Last year I placed first or second in all the tournys i entered and realized I have way more fun playing with friends, not some random douche bags. Plus the speed of play is just dreadful.

Tournys suck. Last year I placed first or second in all the tournys i entered and realized I have way more fun playing with friends, not some random douche bags. Plus the speed of play is just dreadful.

It really depends on the course as far as speed of play. What big tourneys have you been involved in specifically that were super slow. jw

For me they are. I love the feeling in my stomach when a big putt or a critical drive is coming up. Overcoming that and making the shot is what always makes me come back.

I love that feeling, I think that is what makes a tourney so cool. Go out and put everything you have into it, go home, or to your hotel room etc. Check out scores, get pumped up for the next day. I love creating a friendship with people, battling it out with guys in the same skill level as you. I can't see why people would hate tourneys unless they sucked and finished last a bunch. There have been a few like that for me, they were so stupid, I had no fun. I love the competition though, and it keeps me coming back, no matter how I played.

It really depends on the course as far as speed of play. What big tourneys have you been involved in specifically that were super slow. jw

they werent even big tournys. just taking 3-4 hours to complete 18 holes is a joke. takes 8 hours to play 2 rounds of 18 holes? what a crockpot of crap. i typically play 18 holes in an hour.

I've only played two tourneys and they were both very draining, and long. I really enjoyed competing against, and meeting other players, but overall, tourney play sucks.

its just why would i spend 8 hours barely throwing and not being with people i like to be around?

or play a handful of courses with people who i like to be around?

one sounds a little better than the other

its just why would i spend 8 hours barely throwing and not being with people i like to be around?

or play a handful of courses with people who i like to be around?

one sounds a little better than the other

I feel you on that, seems a bit excessive.

Some great times, some standout events/rounds/cards, but overall I think I'm done with tourneys. Never really appealed to me but I got years of free entries. The worst were the bad cards, competition bringing out the d-bag in people, and just overall not being lighthearted rounds of golf. I much prefer staffing events; chill atmosphere and a bunch of frisbee people, and I can contribute more.

I will add that it does suck when your group has a douchebag in it. Last tourney I played a couple weeks ago had a guy that after every bad shot, and there were plenty, he would scream obscenities and swear he would quit the game forever. After the 6th or 7th hole another guy told him to either walk off the course or stfu and it seemed to end.

I voted yes, but I do have more fun when playing my local club's tag rounds, and casual rounds with friends. Tournaments are not the be-all and end-all of disc golf.

Pace of play is the big turnoff for me too. But, at this point the pros outweigh the cons so I'll keep doing it until the novelty wears out.

I am almost always having fun at tournaments. I find it a much greater mental game than simple casual rounds and that is one of the big things that appeals to me. I also love being a part of the larger disc golf community and meeting new people.

Yes, I have played some really bad tournament rounds that made me question my game. Yes, I have played a tournament round where the TD had no option but to disqualify a guy on my card for his actions. But those are so few and far between, and ultimately I am still having fun because I am playing my game.

I've always had fun so far, but in my opinion PDGA tournaments are not for fun.

Pace of play kills me and sucks out most of the enjoyment at big tourneys. I love small unsanctioned tourneys and skins rounds.

It's all in your attitude. If you think tourneys suck, your attitude sucks.