• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

This is the only MVP putter I haven't messed with yet in premium plastic. How are these for driving/throwing? Which plastic would you pick for lacing tunnel shots? I'm curious if this would work well as a "straight mid" like a Buzzz/QMS/Truth type since I don't like the Matrix and it's the only MVP mid I think they didn't discontinue. :\

I'm really happy with my N Envy in this role though. Just curious if an Atom is any better after reading all the Pure comparisons.

I had one in Proton that I really liked. Very reliable. Never overshot with it much. It was good for dialing in distance and puring lines.

This is the only MVP putter I haven't messed with yet in premium plastic. How are these for driving/throwing? Which plastic would you pick for lacing tunnel shots? I'm curious if this would work well as a "straight mid" like a Buzzz/QMS/Truth type since I don't like the Matrix and it's the only MVP mid I think they didn't discontinue. :\

I'm really happy with my N Envy in this role though. Just curious if an Atom is any better after reading all the Pure comparisons.

The Proron and E Soft ones both have their benefit. I have thrown them father than any other putter and they bomb, but can control them well on mild s curve or arrogant to super mild fade lines.

It can putt well too if your a snappy spin putter like me. Wish I could learn a push, but I've never been able to dial it in.

Its in between an Envy and a Proxy. Envy is a straight to fade. Atom has a bit of an S-curve and Proxy is the laser beam. If you have decent angle control, a proxy will slice up tunnel shots. It has enough HSS when new to handle power as long as you don't torque it over. Atom imo, has a bit less HSS but more LSS than a Proxy(obviously some plastics will be bit more/less one way or the other).

In general an Atom and Envy will more or less land in a similar place just take a different flight to get there. Envy has that forward penetrating fade, whereas the Atom will flex a bit b4 fading back more laterally on a hard flat rip. Envy is more forgiving on the OAT usually since its resists turnover more.

If you don't have a proxy, I'd give one a try just for the fun of it. Its a great disc that pairs really well with an Envy. An Atom and an Envy can live in the same bag but there is a lot of overlap there.

I agree with the above assessments regarding the Atom. I will add that my heavy Proton Atom is a legit 0 HSS while still fading late, making it fairly unique among overmold driving putters.

Everything brutalbrutus said... with the addendums:

-depending on your power level the Atom could be a Proxy on roids for you. I can get a great laser rip with them and I prefer the Atom hand feel to the proxy. I think the electron Atom could conceivably masquerade as an electron Proxy.

-0 HSS is my description for the neutron HOC I have, -.5 below a plasma proxy for the electron I tried

I really don't think they can live in the same bag as an Envy unless your Atom is an electron... but I was this "" close to bagging my neutron one over the plasma Envy.

Last edited:
The biggest contrast to me between the Atom and Proxy is speed of flight and speed of the turn and fade. The Proxy has a thicker nose and squarer shoulder with a bit of a higher profile all-around. This slows the flight a bit, but slows the precession of it's turn and fade more noticeably. My domey soft N Proxies fly like mini Comets with the pure no-turn/no-fade lines. My flat N Proxy gets more turn and fade, but it still has a slower and more methodical flight path than the Atom.

The Atom is low profile with a more rounded and aerodynamic nose. My HOC N Atoms like to get a slight turn and then a late and abrupt fade. The flight looks more mid-like with the low line and quick turn and fade on a flat release.

So basically the Atom is like a mini Buzz and the Proxy is like a mini Comet. While I'm at it the Envy is like a mini Roc.

Just traded discs with my son and picked up a Skulboy oreo. Feels a bit like an Envy in the hand, I wonder if I could bag it as my most understable Envy?

Just traded discs with my son and picked up a Skulboy oreo. Feels a bit like an Envy in the hand, I wonder if I could bag it as my most understable Envy?

Probably can, it throws just like a beat up
envy and they share a core.

Right now I'm thinking I don't really need to throw a beat-up Envy. :/

But I love the art and I'm going to go the extra mile to see if this Skulboy oreo 166g Atom, no idea the plastic but feels super soft like Eraser and Neutron had a baby, can possibly be of value in a disc golf bag.

I love the feel. Just not getting intuitive results.

Latest posts