• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Auzcar's ITB

I've tested some more MVP family molds this week, namely Hex, Reactor and Pyro, also have a Trace that I haven't tried yet. I've been blown away by all the MVP produced discs I've tried, mostly because they're all flat and feel so good in my hands. Their Neutron plastic is nice and grippy as well. These mids are definitely no exception.

The Pyro and the Reactor is goong straight in the bag. The Pyro is a beefcake, more OS than the Zone while still being longer, great for both FH and BH. The Eclipse Reactor is what I wanted to find to replace the Method, great HSS and a dependable late fade.

The Hex basically flies like my Buzzz's. It flips up from a small hyzer and rides dead straight. It's a bit shallower than the Buzzz and I'm not a huge fan of Discrafts plastic (slippery for me), so it might kick the Buzzz out. But also maybe not. Will need to test it some more.

Tried the Flare today and what can I say more than that it's a beefcake. It's definitely the most overstable disc I've ever thrown. I'll keep it in the bag for now and I can definitely see some uses but we'll see if it earns a permanent spot or not.

I've come to realise that if I want to really cover all my basis and build a complete bag that works on every course, the old OS-S-US doesn't really cut it for me. I've tried to build my big bag with this method before and it has always felt like there are holes. These are the slots I would want to fill in all speed categories:

Understable - Something that I can release on a slight hyzer, have it flip up and turnover. (Fuse, Relay, Leopard3 etc)
Straight/Neutral - Something I can release on a slight hyzer, have it flip up and ride dead straight without much fade. (FD, Crave, Buzzz, Wraith etc)
Moderately Overstable - Something that can be released flat, fly straight for a bit and then have a reliable fade. Flex shots, hyzers. Workably OS and should handle wind decently. (Felon, Thunderbird, Destroyer etc)
Really Overstable - Low glide pure beef. Should handle any wind. Spike hyzers and so on. (Flare, FAF Firebird, Justice, Stiletto etc)

Now, I don't actually find a need to fill every slot in every speed category, at least not when it comes to putters and mids as I find my FH much more reliable at that distance.

Straight/Neutral - Something I can release on a slight hyzer, have it flip up and ride dead straight without much fade. (FD, Crave, Buzzz, Wraith etc)

This category is the bread and butter of my bag. I really never did the whole OS/S/US thing for each and every slot. Those FD, Buzzz type of discs can do just about anything on the right lines and angles. Toss in one reliably OS disc and one really flippy disc for special occasions and tricky things out on the course and you're good to go.

This category is the bread and butter of my bag. I really never did the whole OS/S/US thing for each and every slot. Those FD, Buzzz type of discs can do just about anything on the right lines and angles. Toss in one reliably OS disc and one really flippy disc for special occasions and tricky things out on the course and you're good to go.

I'm leaning quite heavily on my OS discs. I took some stats last year and the Zone, Firebird and Destroyer was by far my most thrown discs over the time span I recorded my throws. I have two home courses, one completely wooded and one that's 50% open in a quite windy area and I could definitely see differences in what discs I threw the most on each course. I still tend to use my OS discs a lot for scrambling in the woods though.

I plan on recording stats this year as well now when I carry a bigger bag and more options to choose from, it'll be interesting.

I've come to realise that if I want to really cover all my basis and build a complete bag that works on every course, the old OS-S-US doesn't really cut it for me. I've tried to build my big bag with this method before and it has always felt like there are holes. These are the slots I would want to fill in all speed categories:

Understable - Something that I can release on a slight hyzer, have it flip up and turnover. (Fuse, Relay, Leopard3 etc)
Moderately Overstable - Something that can be released flat, fly straight for a bit and then have a reliable fade. Flex shots, hyzers. Workably OS and should handle wind decently. (Felon, Thunderbird, Destroyer etc)
Really Overstable - Low glide pure beef. Should handle any wind. Spike hyzers and so on. (Flare, FAF Firebird, Justice, Stiletto etc)

Now, I don't actually find a need to fill every slot in every speed category, at least not when it comes to putters and mids as I find my FH much more reliable at that distance.

This is pretty much how I set up my bag. One thing that really seemed to help me was to really pay attention to my first impressions on a tee. I found my eye generally sees the flex shot first. So I carry a few extra overstable discs, guys like MJ hyzer flip everything so the understable stuff makes sense for them. There is never a one size fits all, but there is an option that fits your game well!

This is pretty much how I set up my bag. One thing that really seemed to help me was to really pay attention to my first impressions on a tee. I found my eye generally sees the flex shot first. So I carry a few extra overstable discs, guys like MJ hyzer flip everything so the understable stuff makes sense for them. There is never a one size fits all, but there is an option that fits your game well!

This is a good point, play to your strengths and build the bag around that. I've found that I can hit gaps and aim much easier when throwing on a hyzer and thus I'm much more comfortable throwing a hyzer flip when I want a straight shot. This makes me gravitate towards more of a-1/1 type of flight in those situations. As soon as I have room in the open though I immediately look for the hyzer or the flex shot and in these situations a 0/3 or 0/4 flight is what I want.

I've found that the straight 0/2 discs that have no real turn (Teebird3, Explorer etc) is not really my jam. A lot of times they fall inbetween a straight shot and a reliable OS shot for me. I still think they're great discs but I mostly reach for them if I'm not bagging a -1/1 disc or if there's a headwind and I want to stable up to get the -1/1 in the wind. With that said I will probably bag one anyways since the jump from something like a Crave to a Felon is pretty big unless the Felon is really broken in.

My plan is to bag a wide variety of stability in each speed category for a while, track some stats and then see what I tend to rely on and what I almost never throw. After this I can most likely remove a couple slots from my bag. I do have a pretty good idea already but I've always gone more towards the minimalistic route before and never really carried a 20 disc bag. I want to see what happens when I actually have all the shots and options available.

This is a good point, play to your strengths and build the bag around that. I've found that I can hit gaps and aim much easier when throwing on a hyzer and thus I'm much more comfortable throwing a hyzer flip when I want a straight shot. This makes me gravitate towards more of a-1/1 type of flight in those situations. As soon as I have room in the open though I immediately look for the hyzer or the flex shot and in these situations a 0/3 or 0/4 flight is what I want.

I've found that the straight 0/2 discs that have no real turn (Teebird3, Explorer etc) is not really my jam. A lot of times they fall inbetween a straight shot and a reliable OS shot for me. I still think they're great discs but I mostly reach for them if I'm not bagging a -1/1 disc or if there's a headwind and I want to stable up to get the -1/1 in the wind. With that said I will probably bag one anyways since the jump from something like a Crave to a Felon is pretty big unless the Felon is really broken in.

My plan is to bag a wide variety of stability in each speed category for a while, track some stats and then see what I tend to rely on and what I almost never throw. After this I can most likely remove a couple slots from my bag. I do have a pretty good idea already but I've always gone more towards the minimalistic route before and never really carried a 20 disc bag. I want to see what happens when I actually have all the shots and options available.

This sounds pretty identical to me. Never clicked with teebirds or any of the like. My fairways are fd-eagle-roadrunner-predator. I carry multiple of each so I have a huge spectrum of stabilities.

Keep us updated on your stats and what you end up with!

This sounds pretty identical to me. Never clicked with teebirds or any of the like. My fairways are fd-eagle-roadrunner-predator. I carry multiple of each so I have a huge spectrum of stabilities.

Keep us updated on your stats and what you end up with!

The season isn't really under way here yet, there's still a lot of snow on the ground. In a month or so I should be able to start recording stats :)

The testing continues... Tried some new DM plastic today; namely the Mutant, Splice and Enigma.

The Mutant might very well kick the Pyro out, it's definitely beefier which I'm looking for in this slot. It doesn't feel as good in the hand as the Pyro but good enough.

The Splice will definitely give the Flare and FAF Firebird a run for their money. Really beefy and feels good in the hand. I could probably swap between these three interchangeably, time will tell what I'll bag.

Enigma flew like my fresh Wraith or Trace, felt good in the hand and I could probably bag this instead of the Wraith. Need some more testing when the snow is gone and I can put some real power behind these. I want something that hyzer flips to straight without much fade, so basically a tunnel shot distance driver. My Wraiths does this very well but if I could find something slightly faster/longer I'd be thrilled.

Forgot about the FD... I tried one of the new C-lines as well. It sits between the Teebird3 and the Crave and if I put some power behind it it would have some turn, but not as much as the Crave. Stability and flight is fine but it doesn't feel nearly as good in my hand as the Crave or the Teebird3. Need some more time with it but it most likely won't be in the bag.

These are the discs I own or have coming and which slots they audition for atm. I want options that fill each slot right out of the box but a few slots will be filled by beat in discs from a more overstable slot. Discs that basically have sealed a spot already is in cursive.

PUTTERS
Understable - K1/K3 Reko
Straight/Neutral - Electron Envy
Moderately Overstable - Eclipse Envy
Really Overstable - Zone

MIDS
Understable - Fuse / Uplink
Straight/Neutral - Buzzz / Hex
Moderately Overstable - Reactor
Really Overstable - Mutant / Pyro

FAIRWAY
Understable - Relay
Straight/Neutral - Crave / FD / Teebird3
Moderately Overstable - Felon / Anax / Vulture / Thunderbird
Really Overstable - Flare / Splice / Firebird

DISTANCE
Understable - Bolt
Straight/Neutral - Wraith / Enigma / Trace
Moderately Overstable - Destroyer
Really Overstable - Adder

Last edited:
I've felt like my Craves and my Undertakers flies pretty close to each other in terms of speed and measured the rims of both molds (sample size of four each). The Undertakers averaged at 17.9mm and the Craves at 17.71mm.

Undertaker is rated speed 9 and Crave 6.5... it just shows you how differently the manufacturers rates the flight numbers on their discs. I'd probably rated them both at 7.5 for whatever that's worth.

I've felt like my Craves and my Undertakers flies pretty close to each other in terms of speed and measured the rims of both molds (sample size of four each). The Undertakers averaged at 17.9mm and the Craves at 17.71mm.

Undertaker is rated speed 9 and Crave 6.5... it just shows you how differently the manufacturers rates the flight numbers on their discs. I'd probably rated them both at 7.5 for whatever that's worth.

That's interesting, I feel like Craves feel slower/smaller to me. I recently pulled the Undertaker from my bag for an OLF/Crave combo and it may just be mental, but the Crave feels more controllable. Maybe it's the lower shoulder/depth playing tricks on my brain.

That's interesting, I feel like Craves feel slower/smaller to me. I recently pulled the Undertaker from my bag for an OLF/Crave combo and it may just be mental, but the Crave feels more controllable. Maybe it's the lower shoulder/depth playing tricks on my brain.

I do agree that the Crave feels a bit slimmer in the hand, what causes that I'm not sure of though. I haven't measured the depth etc but the lower shoulder would be my bet, the Crave is pretty low profile all the way from the nose.

I also find the Crave more controllable, I have more trouble anticipating how much the Undertaker will turn and fade.

The snow has been melting like crazy and I have been able to log a few rounds with decent footing. A pretty clear pattern is emerging already as to what discs/slots I lean on and which discs I almost never throw, but I want to log at least 10 rounds each on my two home courses before I start putting some results together. And also before I start thinking about removing discs/slots from the setup.

Note to self: Field work is the t*ts when testing discs and setting up your bag. I take way to many decisions on what to bag when I'm on the course, or even at home. It's distracting when you're trying to hit a target on the course. If you have a bad release or simply have your aim off you start doubting the disc, it's better to just hit the field, throw and see if the disc fly the line you're looking for.

Starting to feel pretty good about my bag atm, there's a couple of slots I'm not sure about but all in all pretty happy so far.

Keystone

Electron Envy
Eclipse Envy
Zone

***Uplink or Fuse
Hex
Eclipse Reactor
***Justice or Mutant

Essence (rollers)
Crave
Teebird3
***Felon or Anax
Firebird
Flare

Wraith x2
Destroyer x4
Adder

I'm gonna do a full field session next week and throw the whole bag multiple times, I'll also try some different options in the slots I'm unsure about (marked ***).

I'v kept my bag the same for two weeks now, that's probably a personal best :D

On another note, I'm falling deeper and deeper in love with my Eclipse Envy's. Just the right amount of stability and torque resistance to trust on every angle, even at full power.

Had my worst ever showing in a local tournament where my weaknesses really shined. Had 14 putts after the first five holes in the last round, including a 20 foot birdie putt that turned into a five putt and a triple bogey. I finished the round with one five putt, two four putts and I think three three putts...

The first two rou ds were horrible as well on the putting green, just not to the same extent, but I missed 7 birdie putts from circles edge-ish in round one.

My putting is the reason I don't play many tournaments, it's just no fun. I feel like my driving is at 950-975 but my putting is at 815 level...

Latest posts