• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Aviarx3

Really dig the DX plastic and puddle top on these for push putting. Will def be my wind putter and main fh approach putter.

In other news, anyone else watch Big Jerm just shred a few holes at Idlewild with his star X3?

I think he wished he had a Drone.

Unless a Zone or a Drone would improve his circle 1 putting, pretty sure he's good with the X3. 75% wont get it done in MPO

Attachments

• 97299282-1CA2-47C3-A8DE-761535AAB07E.jpg
    97299282-1CA2-47C3-A8DE-761535AAB07E.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 55
Enjoying throwing these in DX; they have become my go-to for one disc rounds. The grip gets better with use, they fly straight as you like, comfortable both BH and FH.

Anyone thrown a DX AX3 enough to get it to be flippy? My most thrown one is still holding a straight flight with very little fade. Flight shape reminds me of a seasoned Teebird.

He has a Mortar when he needs a more OS disc for the approach slot so :confused: if he wishes he had a Zone.

Yup. The AX3 has that ability to really stick & settle more than a faster disc like the Zone. Unless you've got some super soft FLX type Zone that would really grab the ground.

If he's carrying the AX3 & a Mortar I wouldn't see any need to have something in-between.

Last edited:
Yup. The AX3 has that ability to really stick & settle more than a faster disc like the Zone. Unless you've got some super soft FLX type Zone that would really grab the ground.

If he's carrying the AX3 & a Mortar I wouldn't see any need to have something in-between.

Yeah even if it was just a Gator and the AviarX3, I would not see a need for much between that, especially if the plastic/mold is the Champion Gator 3 or the Metal Flake Gator.

Also watched Koling forehanding these at Idlewild and got curious and bought a DX.

First non-wizard putter I bought since the Wizard came out.

It's much easier to forehand this v a Wizard. There's not as much touchiness, it's very comfortable. Not as "clunky" in your hand -- not as deep as a Wizard.

Much more control than a zone -- yes, I may be contradicting my wizard statement but I just never thought the zone was/is a putter. Too fast? Dunno -- just doesn't feel like a putter to me. I understand the appreciation of the zone's flight -- it's just not as easy to hit a forehand gap with as the aviarx3 is.

Also watched Koling forehanding these at Idlewild and got curious and bought a DX.

First non-wizard putter I bought since the Wizard came out.

It's much easier to forehand this v a Wizard. There's not as much touchiness, it's very comfortable. Not as "clunky" in your hand -- not as deep as a Wizard.

Much more control than a zone -- yes, I may be contradicting my wizard statement but I just never thought the zone was/is a putter. Too fast? Dunno -- just doesn't feel like a putter to me. I understand the appreciation of the zone's flight -- it's just not as easy to hit a forehand gap with as the aviarx3 is.

I love the idea of flicking Wizards, but after a couple one disc rounds I am not sold. They have the perfect stability I would look for in 90% of my forehand upshots, but the traditional old-school putter shape just does not agree with my form. For now I will continue to bag a Zone or the like for short FH.

Enjoying throwing these in DX; they have become my go-to for one disc rounds. The grip gets better with use, they fly straight as you like, comfortable both BH and FH.

Anyone thrown a DX AX3 enough to get it to be flippy? My most thrown one is still holding a straight flight with very little fade. Flight shape reminds me of a seasoned Teebird.

https://youtu.be/k-mPwByYESo

Calvin has
I have them in DX, can't believe how beefy they are. I'm currently messing with the Rhyno for forehand ups, seems to fit my game better. I was flicking PnA's before, so switching to the X3 was a big stability jump. Would love it if one would beat in to be less stable. Maybe parking lot field work is in order

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://youtu.be/k-mPwByYESo

Calvin has
I have them in DX, can't believe how beefy they are. I'm currently messing with the Rhyno for forehand ups, seems to fit my game better. I was flicking PnA's before, so switching to the X3 was a big stability jump. Would love it if one would beat in to be less stable. Maybe parking lot field work is in order

If mine are any indication, they get to be fairly straight after a few rounds of using them for everything. They also seem like they might stay that way for a while which would be fine by me.

If mine are any indication, they get to be fairly straight after a few rounds of using them for everything. They also seem like they might stay that way for a while which would be fine by me.

Yeah may need to play some one disc rounds with them in that case. My regular dx PnA's beat to flippy real quick on the rocky Texas courses I play, so I'd be ok with a beat in X3 that keeps its stability for a while

I love the idea of flicking Wizards, but after a couple one disc rounds I am not sold. They have the perfect stability I would look for in 90% of my forehand upshots, but the traditional old-school putter shape just does not agree with my form. For now I will continue to bag a Zone or the like for short FH.

Um . .. You may have misread what I typed -- we agree. Just saying.

XT AviarX3:

I only have one. It's not puddle top. The outer flight plate is flat & has the mildest of dome in the center. I really like it. The plastic is pretty firm & a little slicker than I'd like. I've had an Aviar3 in XT that was much grippier.

Anyone finding XT AviarX3's to be a consistently a touch slick or is there a good mix as in Innova tradition?

XT AviarX3:

I only have one. It's not puddle top. The outer flight plate is flat & has the mildest of dome in the center. I really like it. The plastic is pretty firm & a little slicker than I'd like. I've had an Aviar3 in XT that was much grippier.

Anyone finding XT AviarX3's to be a consistently a touch slick or is there a good mix as in Innova tradition?

There's a mix, but of the I have two pairs. 2 are slick but the one I throw is getting grippier. The other two are a little more tacky. There are also variances in the tops. 2 with a slight dome like yours, two puddle topped. I like the mild dome for backhands. They fly a little straighter if you ask me.

There's a mix, but of the I have two pairs. 2 are slick but the one I throw is getting grippier. The other two are a little more tacky. There are also variances in the tops. 2 with a slight dome like yours, two puddle topped. I like the mild dome for backhands. They fly a little straighter if you ask me.

Update: I started this season using one of the flat, slicker XT AviarX3s and it has started to develop a much better grip. It's noticeably straighter than my Star and especially Luster X3s. Not that I really need this, but I could see it slotting in between my Aviar3 and Luster X3 until it beats in to be straighter.

Anyone try the more recent star AX3? I took a brand new one to Rainshadow up in Sequim, WA and found that they were just not stable enough to rely on.

I normally have a pretty smooth upshot FH, but this thing flipped badly with any OAT at all. First hole I flipped it over into the road due to rusty form and a slight breeze.

The lower speed and chunkier profile attracted me to the AX3 initially as a better complement to the mortar for my FH upshot game, but I didn't run into a shot that entire 18 that I wouldn't have preferred a Zone. Previously it was a premium Rhyno which fit the bill.

Only tried a Proto-star first run Star AviarX3. Did find it a flipped from a flat release into slight winds. Started and ended on a hyzer angle as long as the release was clean and not overpowered.

The DX ones create a better flight separation from the Mortar (Recon/Frontline) and Rat (Star). Easier to replace (good for short water carries) and can be used to putt (like a flattened P2). Luster Champion are OS with less glide. Haven't tried a Caiman but expect they're similar to Mortars. Maybe the recently approved Toro (luster plastic) is another attempt at a more OS 3-4 speed beadless approach disc

Only tried a Proto-star first run Star AviarX3. Did find it a flipped from a flat release into slight winds. Started and ended on a hyzer angle as long as the release was clean and not overpowered.

The DX ones create a better flight separation from the Mortar (Recon/Frontline) and Rat (Star). Easier to replace (good for short water carries) and can be used to putt (like a flattened P2). Luster Champion are OS with less glide. Haven't tried a Caiman but expect they're similar to Mortars. Maybe the recently approved Toro (luster plastic) is another attempt at a more OS 3-4 speed beadless approach disc

Caiman is very similar to a Mortar, if not a little more OS/glideless.

My intention is to either bag a Zone, or actually split that role in half with two molds: a Mortar for longer, glidier, but still stable/OS shots, and a very stable but slower forehand putter for times when I want to put the brakes on quicker than what a Zone will do for me.

Latest posts