• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Aviarx3

I bag a mortar and tank. I'm sure rhynos would work just as well. I found the Star AviarX3 to be less OS than I expected too. The tank isn't OS in the way a caiman or mortar is, but it's slow and doesn't glide much. I use it for slower touch forehands when between putting and what I consider mortar distance.

Wanted to give AviarX3 a go but its hand feel felt way too soft/mushy for my liking at least in this recent star plastic. I throw primarily backhand and prefer a stiffer disc for touchy forehand shots.

Wanted to give AviarX3 a go but its hand feel felt way too soft/mushy for my liking at least in this recent star plastic. I throw primarily backhand and prefer a stiffer disc for touchy forehand shots.

I recommend a luster champ AX3 or a nice new Toro to fix this issue for you.

I'm trying out an all Innova bag (long story short, was overwhelmed with every mold and thought "if it ain't broke, don't fix it") and just picked up an AX3 to try out. I like it more than I thought I would. It flies a little more brick-like than I thought it would, but it's very usable forehand and backhand. It handles a lot of power and it's very workable, but it's not quite as clean out of the hand as other similar molds. There was a used XT one that I picked up to try, so it could just be the plastic. But I like it overall.

I'm trying out an all Innova bag (long story short, was overwhelmed with every mold and thought "if it ain't broke, don't fix it") and just picked up an AX3 to try out. I like it more than I thought I would. It flies a little more brick-like than I thought it would, but it's very usable forehand and backhand. It handles a lot of power and it's very workable, but it's not quite as clean out of the hand as other similar molds. There was a used XT one that I picked up to try, so it could just be the plastic. But I like it overall.

I have an XT I got just to try and for some reason it doesn't come out of my hand as clean on forehands. Backhand is fine, but I definitely prefer it in premium plastic.

Played a woodsy rocky-ish round with just two DX AvX3s as a warmup this evening. They've developed high speed drift already, and finish dead straight from slight/moderate hyzer.

Love the feel, but the durability is inadequate. I'll keep my eyes peeled for KCs, I can hope,, and will stick with the Star AvX3 for a while—would love if this seasons to HSS with sight finish.

But 18 holes tee to basket beat these to Star Invader flight. Also, they are wildly rollaway prone. Which is weird. They love to get on their edge and go.

Played a woodsy rocky-ish round with just two DX AvX3s as a warmup this evening. They've developed high speed drift already, and finish dead straight from slight/moderate hyzer.

Love the feel, but the durability is inadequate. I'll keep my eyes peeled for KCs, I can hope,, and will stick with the Star AvX3 for a while—would love if this seasons to HSS with sight finish.

But 18 holes tee to basket beat these to Star Invader flight. Also, they are wildly rollaway prone. Which is weird. They love to get on their edge and go.

DX are very nice and I like the shallowness relative to Star. I've never developed high speed drift in mine but more that it will respond to an anny or late release without correcting back. With that said I've found the Invader to have more fade than advertised so I can see DX being not far off from one in a short time.

Last year I threw a flat top XT AviarX3 into my practice bag and it's finally reached a nice seasoned sweet spot. It doesn't drift, but holds the exact line I put it on until it lightly dumps out in the last 5-10% of the flight. No ground play either. I'm really enticed by the Halo Nexus they just released. Profile looks like it may match the flat top XT. If I did end up bagging one, the extra durability of Nexus compared to XT would be ideal.

Anybody try the Nexus yet?

Last year I threw a flat top XT AviarX3 into my practice bag and it's finally reached a nice seasoned sweet spot. It doesn't drift, but holds the exact line I put it on until it lightly dumps out in the last 5-10% of the flight. No ground play either. I'm really enticed by the Halo Nexus they just released. Profile looks like it may match the flat top XT. If I did end up bagging one, the extra durability of Nexus compared to XT would be ideal.

Anybody try the Nexus yet?

I've not tried the Nexus Halo Aviarx3 yet but the plastic just feels like a blend of DX/XT/KC Pro in the Nexus Halo Aviar Driver to me. No guarantee it will be more durable than the XT (eXtra Tough) pro blend but likely holds up a bit better than DX. I don't think Innova has ever marketed Nexus as anything other than a stiff and grippy plastic blend they came up with for Nate Sexton originally.

"Our Nexus material gives players extreme grip while maintaining a stiff flight plate."

"Nexus plastic provides the stiffness Nate requested, but with an unparalleled grip."

I've not tried the Nexus Halo Aviarx3 yet but the plastic just feels like a blend of DX/XT/KC Pro in the Nexus Halo Aviar Driver to me. No guarantee it will be more durable than the XT (eXtra Tough) pro blend but likely holds up a bit better than DX. I don't think Innova has ever marketed Nexus as anything other than a stiff and grippy plastic blend they came up with for Nate Sexton originally.

I'm sure each run is different, but I've had a Nexus Firefly in the bag for longer than I've been using the XT AviarX3 only in field work and some practice rounds. The Firefly has held up better as my primary backhand approach disc where the XT has beat up faster.

I've been testing out the aviar3 and aviarx3. My 3's have a puddle top and my x3 has a slight dome. I prefer the feel of the puddle top 3's. I was wondering how having a puddle top vs dome affects (could be effects, don't know and don't care) the flight of an aviarx3.

I've been testing out the aviar3 and aviarx3. My 3's have a puddle top and my x3 has a slight dome. I prefer the feel of the puddle top 3's. I was wondering how having a puddle top vs dome affects (could be effects, don't know and don't care) the flight of an aviarx3.
I've found that both domey and flat AviarX3s are less overstable than puddle tops. Same experience with Aviar3s, but I have only ever thrown those in color glow champ. I prefer puddle tops, but have a flat XT and Halo AviarX3 that are both pretty good for backhands for me. I've compared those to a puddle top XT and it was much more overstable. Neither of the flat ones have made their way out of my practice bag yet. If an AviarX3 has dome I'm never going to use it to be honest.

I've found that both domey and flat AviarX3s are less overstable than puddle tops. Same experience with Aviar3s, but I have only ever thrown those in color glow champ. I prefer puddle tops, but have a flat XT and Halo AviarX3 that are both pretty good for backhands for me. I've compared those to a puddle top XT and it was much more overstable. Neither of the flat ones have made their way out of my practice bag yet. If an AviarX3 has dome I'm never going to use it to be honest.
Thanks for your input. I ended up getting another slightly domey Aviarx3. I puddle topped one and left the other one alone. It didn't seem to change the flight much. The puddle topped one might be a little more overstable, or it might just be acting that way because I get a cleaner release. Either way I like feel of the puddle topped one better, so I'll probably puddle top the other one.

Same. My puddle top 166 gram x3 is just that much more overstable than its max weight flat topped counterpart. The puddle top feels nicer overall than either of the flat ones I have.

Still can't get the AviarX3 out of my bag. Produces too many good results. Too versatile. Doesn't feel the best, which is why I'd prefer to change, but nothing does the damn thing better. Approach loadout is (all flat/puddle top):

GStar or Pro Rhyno
Star AviarX3
Champ Toro
Champ or star Caiman