• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Bag building theory

Since I am in a disc golf course starved city. The vast majority of my throwing is frolf/field at my portable basket.
I have the capacity, so I carry 24 discs in my backpack, and 10 to 12 in my shoulder bag.
Typically the shoulder bag is 3 of each, and the backpack has a core group, and the molds, and types I have a multiples of in the quest to find what works for how I throw. Ideally, the backpack will get more focused, and I can eliminate overlap. In the meantime. Who cares.
Core group
* Aviar
Champ Rhyno
Classic Roc
G* Wedge
Champ Super Stingray, Star Super Stingray
Roc3
DX Roc
Champ Panther
1.5 Mortar
, DX Gator
, s-line GM
g* Leopard
Gazelle (multiple weights and plastics)
Champ Eagle
, g* FD
, AJ *Teebird
S-Line TD2
Champ PD / g-line PD
Champ Firebird
, Pro Thunderbird
, Pro Valkyrie
Champ Firebird

Definite overlap in some of them, and that's the fun of throwing them. For now.

Anyway that post was kinda rambling, what I am trying to say is that a person who wants to be good at either sport can't just master their equipment, they must master their technique. In DG it makes more sense to learn to manipulate release angles instead of mastering dozens of discs that all do things slightly different.

I put this in another thread, but I think it belongs here too

I am posting so that other obsessives know they're not alone.

Not only do I have a bag building theory, I have a set of rules. I know these are over the top, but the heart wants what the heart wants. Rules:

1. Only 4 categories of discs. Putters, midranges, fairways, distance.
2. Within each category, the discs should have the same rim width (according to the PDGA) if possible. Consistency is important.
3. Within each category, only two molds. One stable-overstable. One stable-understable. Gotta learn to manipulate neutral discs.
4. The rim widths should be as evenly spread as possible. No big gaps.
5. Try to buy American.
6. No discs from companies that don't support woman (according to me and as far as I know). So for example, according to me, Innova (Val), Discmania (Jussi/DGWT), and Discraft (Elaine King) are out.
7. As few molds as possible.

End result:

Putters (1.1 cm rims) - Envy (Neutron, Plasma, and Electron all for throwing), Deputy (Classic for throwing, Prime for putting)
Mids (1.4 and 1.5 cm rims) - Prodigy M3 (300s and 400g), DGA Quake (Proline and SP)
Fairways (1.8 cm rims) - DGA Pipeline (Proline), Westside Longbowman (Tournament and VIP)
Distance (2.1 cm rim) - Trespass (Lucid, Fuzion, Lucid-X)

Westside is only non-100% US company. But it's now 50% US-owned. Quake is only disc that has different rim width, but it's perfect otherwise.

7 molds. All shots covered. Good times.

Alternatively, you could build from the top down, filling in a structure like the sticky in the bag forum, or one like this:

putters:
OS / S / US

mids:
OS / S / US

fairways:
OS / S / US

distance:
OS / S / US

I do prefer a "top down" approach. Made me think about my bag. Love the topic, OP.

I am posting so that other obsessives know they're not alone.

Not only do I have a bag building theory, I have a set of rules. I know these are over the top, but the heart wants what the heart wants. Rules:

1. Only 4 categories of discs. Putters, midranges, fairways, distance.
2. Within each category, the discs should have the same rim width (according to the PDGA) if possible. Consistency is important.
3. Within each category, only two molds. One stable-overstable. One stable-understable. Gotta learn to manipulate neutral discs.
4. The rim widths should be as evenly spread as possible. No big gaps.
5. Try to buy American.
6. No discs from companies that don't support woman (according to me and as far as I know). So for example, according to me, Innova (Val), Discmania (Jussi/DGWT), and Discraft (Elaine King) are out.
7. As few molds as possible.

End result:

Putters (1.1 cm rims) - Envy (Neutron, Plasma, and Electron all for throwing), Deputy (Classic for throwing, Prime for putting)
Mids (1.4 and 1.5 cm rims) - Prodigy M3 (300s and 400g), DGA Quake (Proline and SP)
Fairways (1.8 cm rims) - DGA Pipeline (Proline), Westside Longbowman (Tournament and VIP)
Distance (2.1 cm rim) - Trespass (Lucid, Fuzion, Lucid-X)

Westside is only non-100% US company. But it's now 50% US-owned. Quake is only disc that has different rim width, but it's perfect otherwise.

7 molds. All shots covered. Good times.

Is this the power of Ultra Instinct?

What do you consider a flex mid
I'm no expert. I do what seems logical I know it's hard to start as a beginner (and I did it 20 years ago so i'm sure its worse now) and having to figure out what discs are what and will do what without anyone to help out and teach you. I started out just trying stuff- my first disc was a Millenium LF when it was considered a "big" disc. Anyone remember those days?

I didn't know any better so to minimize disc flipping I adopted a minimalist approach for 19 years:
2 Distance Drivers - I started at LF, Beast, Wraith, Flash, Surge, Destroyer
1 Mid or Fairway - Gazelle became Buzzz, Teebird, Predator, then Firebird
1 Putter Mold - Rhyno became Challenger became Voodoo

This bag was built top down with an emphasis on drivers. When I dumped this bag last year, it was 20 discs, 4 molds: Voodoo, Firebird, Wraith, Destroyer. To make it work, I had to use every ounce of skill I had in a body that just wasn't skillful or athletic enough to pull it off.

After my 36th birthday and a massive dip in my distance and jump in my scores, I decided to rebuild. It's still a work in progress for sure, and I'm still finding my way, but I began to build a cart from the bottom up. The logic behind this is that most courses are built with holes averaging around 350'. Yes, pro courses exist where the average hole is 450-500' but most situations are not this way - and even on those courses, you rip a big drive... or two big drives - and put yourself in approach range of 350' and in. So I have adopted a Fairways and Greens mentality. Shaving strokes by playing smart, not far. Pick a logical point on the course that plays to my approach game and I put my disc there. To do this, I have to have consistency in my form... meaning more molds to do more things.

So, with that said, this is what I currently am working towards:

Inside 350' -
1 circle putter
1 approach / driving putter
1 Flip Mid
1 Flat Mid
1 Flex Mid
1 OS Mid

I know a lot of players would think "Woah, woah! Do you really need 6 Discs for inside 350'?" The answer, at least by my new logic is, absolutely. The goal with this approach is consistency. By having a mold for each shot, you can eliminate variables in the form of your shot (variables often lead to problems with form), thereby ensuring a consistent pull every time. I don't have to be the most skillful player on the course to throw a good round... I just have to know my skill, know my bag, and throw consistently every shot. So I practice by throwing every disc in my bag the same way. The only time I break from this form is to throw a utility shot- either a flex, flick flex, or a spike hyzer. Inside 250', I throw Plasma Envys. Outside 250', I have 4 mids to choose from to achieve the correct angle of approach - flat to right, flat to left, flex left to right, or flat straight

Outside 350'
1 S-US Driver (Flips)
1 S-OS Driver (Control - Primary)
1 OS Driver (Wind)
1 S-OS Lightweight Driver (Big Distance)

For the driver classes, I've backed off on speed in favor of control - I'm carrying MVP's 18.5mm class and while I sacrifice some distance here, I have more control to reach a safe point I want to be at on the fairway. Keeping discs in the fairways and setting myself up for good approaches is better than throwing an extra 35'-50' and burying myself with a bad lie either OB or behind some obstacle I don't want to be behind. My home course, Carrollton Park in St. Louis has a lot of "obstacles" due to it being a former neighborhood. Playing it everyday has really forced me to focus on the fairway and on how to stay inbounds along narrow sections and avoid the sure stroke adder that is a former row of trees or bamboo or garden ties between what use to be neighboring houses.

Anyways - that's my logic, take it or leave it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Interesting thread, I think I do bottom up... Pick a putter, mid, and two drivers I plan on using the most and then I fill in depending on course and conditions and current favourites of the week / month...

I always cover my US/S/OS slots but interchange that between putter, mids, drivers.. With mids I worry about pairing a big wing (Comet) with a rounded wing (Buzzz).

The thing I find most interesting is how a one disc addition or removal can completely shuffle the rest of the bag. IE: I got my Tangent back, if there's a heavy Comet in the bag I could drop a driving putter or a mid.. and add an extra putter or mid or a driver.

Tangent or Buzzz + Comet= Vertex, Axis, Proxy or Atom

I use a 9 disc core bag and due to familiarity I will always have some variant of it ..
2 or 3 putters (3 with Soft E Envy, +Spin, +driving putter)
2+ mids (2 mids with a Comet, 3 without)
2 fairway drivers (Relay, Switch)
1+ distance driver (Vanish today)
1+ trick disc (fission Photon light and stable fills in as OS mid, distance driver and thumber disc)

The rest are audition, condition or backup spots whatever I think might give me an edge..

I am one of the few on this thread that does not use a driving putter. I use a Star Shark no Flight numbers from 2016 for driving as well as approach shots sometimes putting in really high winds and a pro Shark for approach shots as well as high wind putting. I am more in line with one true midrange disc like the people on here as I use a Champion Shark 3, 2 of them at 176 grams for a true midrange. I do think having a disc or mold you can use for multipurpose uses is helpful, one of the things I learned in the last few years.

I find this interesting as I have been very casual for a couple years and the past month or 2, started getting back into it more kind of relaxed and not really caring what I threw or how I threw it. I had nothing set in stone except for a couple staples that I have clutched on while playing casually. My 2 putters, a Roach and a Rhyno; then my ESP Pred and Z Pred. Those are just reliable for specific purposes

Pretty much could throw anything in between those and not see much difference but lately I have started to pick up a preferences. I used to like Leopards and Stingrays for turnover shots but with my backhand losing something to where its not that much better than my forehand, I've been forehanding more for finishing the other direction. Then if I want a lighter finish to the right, I've been favoring a lightly worn Roc and Glo Teebird which are the same discs I use forehand. Teebirds can be a little close to the ESP Pred but I get more distance flat with the Teebird before the fade and a harder more reliable fade on the Preds

So I guess, I went with bookends and filled in the middle. Only exception is distance driver that I do not use a lot and prefer flippy like a Sidewinder or Archangel, then I still use a Flick from time to time as utility but both the driver and utility I could do without.

Latest posts