• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Barry Schultz?!?

Caught a Barry Ace today at Bombs over Bailey in Charlotte. 300' DX Roc. Should have the Clip up soon

so is barry dying, cause so much talk about him seems strange. well, because when your good, your good. end of discussion.

but none the less, as a young gun in the 90's playing my first big t the brent hambrick and getting slaughtered. it was refreshing to see him at the finals beating everyone climo, russel and the likes. believe he had first run dx beasts side stamped ingonito.

The good ole days....

When I started playing, Ken was "the champ," and Barry was the challenger. Both were really good but I tend to like underdogs so I started rooting for Barry. Still do. I always liked his notion that it isn't a hurried throw. I also liked his sideways set up, he doesn't reach back, he reaches to the side.

I think he's still relevant because he still plays. Tournament after tournament in his area. He's always there.

Haha trees are what make it fun

Oh, you're absolutely right. It's a different game that requires more skill once trees are involved. I now have more fun playing and spectating pros playing wooded courses, especially when said pros are people like you and Barry who make impossible shots look fluid and easy. :clap:

When I showed up in Durham I was at the stage of my development where I could throw 300+ feet, but with no accuracy whatsoever. Many of the courses in IA are open because IA is an open kind of place, allowing players to get away with throwing 50 ft to the left or right without much harm being done. The NC courses punish that type of play particularly harshly. All the trees in NC made me feel claustrophobic (seriously, I needed to get to a high building or the coast every now and then so I could see the horizon and actually breath deeply).

It took a lot of rounds of throwing 50-100 ft straight into a tree every other throw for me to finally get it through my head that I was better off powering down and throwing 150-200ft in the right direction than trying to throw full power in a tight space only end up deeper in the woods.:wall: But, hey I probably never would have learned how to hit my line occasionally if I hadn't moved to NC!

Innova should give him the Boss as his signature disc, that's been his main driver for years now, and nobody else is on it.

Honestly, I knew he was still playing, didn't think he was playing in any Majors anymore though, this pretty sweet! Old man's still got it!

Most important, he's always available to spot in bigger Charlotte Am Events. Thats the part most pro's miss...giving back.

This. It was a trip to walk down the 18 fairway @ Nevin last year and realize he was the dude spotting.

The incredible thing wasn't just the 10 hole playoff, it was the last four holes of the tournament too.
Is there a coverage of more than just the playoff online? Would like to watch that as a feature-length evening movie. :-D

It's the 2003 USDGC you're talking about, right?

Latest posts