• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Beginner disk setup

I recently convinced a couple friends to join me in my disc golf addiction. 2 of them really like them game and are ready to purchase some disc.

They both insisted on getting drivers so I came up with this
1 Opto River ~165g
1 Buzzz SS ~175g
1 S Anode max weight

I'd like to get your inputs on these disc and possibly some other recommendations if you see fit. A premium plastic putter is a must as I am stressing that they must learn to drive with the putter and wooded course+baseline plastic= chewed up disc.

This is similar to my set up when i play with my "bare" essentials. When I mean bare essential is that I would play with the 3 best and most versatile discs that would suit a newbie, seasoned intermediate, and an advanced player alike. This is what i use:

1 Otpo River (Mine is 169)
1 Z Buzzz 167 (Its nice and seasoned and flies similar to a Buzzz SS Maybe look into Ti as well)
1 Grip Pure 175 (I like Lat discs a lot and this putter has helped me refine and relearn how I putt. It helped me with consistency if you will)

Other recommendation i suggest for a beginner are:
ESP Impact (An under-rated disc that flies nice and straight. It goes where you want it and a very good disc for beginners)
Opto Pain (Similar to a roc)
ION putter
Leopard
ROC
Teebird (or TL)

I don't think the particular molds you choose are nearly as important as getting lighter weights and neutral flyers. The River is a great choice for that, but I would recommend a Pro Leopard instead. It'll season faster, and they'll get a chance to experience how discs change over their lifespans. By the time it's gotten too flippy, they'll be ready to move on to more advanced discs. Also, chances are good that a new player will griplock a disc and lose it. Lat molds aren't the cheapest discs to replace regularly. Of course a TM River would be a cheaper option, but the stock is starting to shrink.

That said, I would give them:
~170 Pro Leopard
~170 Z Buzzz
~170 DX Aviar PnA

What you mean every rookie shouldn't go buy a Beast and a Nuke for their first discs and try to rip everything as hard as they can?

I was at a shop the a while back and a guy came in, asked for the beast because his buddy had it and he wanted to start playing, and didn't believe the guy that he should start with a decent fairway for 11 bucks to learn.

I recently convinced a couple friends to join me in my disc golf addiction. 2 of them really like them game and are ready to purchase some disc.

They both insisted on getting drivers so I came up with this
1 Opto River ~165g
1 Buzzz SS ~175g
1 S Anode max weight

I'd like to get your inputs on these disc and possibly some other recommendations if you see fit. A premium plastic putter is a must as I am stressing that they must learn to drive with the putter and wooded course+baseline plastic= chewed up disc.

Jesus, when I started I had a Polecat, Viper and JLS.

The times sure have changed.

Latest posts