• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Beginner driver question

diamond is good
Dx teebird is good
pro leopard is good.
any of these, or really any of the others. A lot of the discs mentioned so far ARE VERY SIMILAR. So if one isn't working for you, and its not feel in hand, its just a practice thing. If so, don't fret you'll get it. keep having fun out there and keep at it. You'll start throwing that champ teebird on a lot of nice stable lines and that champ leo will do all kinds of nice flip shots.

When I go out to the field to do work I focus a lot on my putters and mids (obviously) but I love to play around with a dynamic witness. US speed 8 that can be a lot of fun. Plenty of glide for long S turns. My main use for it on the course is for rollers.

Thumb smashed on my Galaxy Note 4

The reason I bought champion plastic is because I heard the dx plastic can take one hit on a tree or something and have a flight altering damage after a few hits. Where we play some of our courses are tons of woods so we are always hitting trees and I didn't want to buy lower end plastic having to replace them after a couple rounds each time ... I know the pro plastic is more durable but how much? That's really why I bought the champion plastic discs was so they lasted longer.

I've largely stuck to Champ and Pro plastic. I say they are equal in durability, with the Pro having a touch more grip as the only difference. So I wouldn't say the Pro is any more durable than Champ. I think Innova even claims they are equal.

Champion is definitely more durable than Pro. Pro can season somewhat quickly but holds those characteristics for a long time. A champion disc takes a really long time to beat in and holds the out of box flight for a significant amount of time.

That's really why I bought the champion plastic discs was so they lasted longer.

:thmbup: Very good thinking. By the way, Star plastic is pretty durable, as well. Seasons in a little bit faster than Champion, but you'd get a tremendous amount of use from it. Pro is IMHO a bit less durable than Champ and Star.

I spent some time with the slower speeds before I moved up to higher speeds. You are sacrificing immediate results for a long term approach. I enjoy throwing slower speeds. And I enjoy having a sort of strategy to my game, my bag and my development as a player. Go ahead and throw whatever you enjoy!

Yup. Throw what helps you enjoy the game. This strategy is definitely the better long term game, but your buddies will beat you pretty regularly in the beginning. As a side note, I think anyone with decent form CAN throw high speed discs farther, but not necessarily more consistently. Discs like a Pro/DX Valkyrie or ESP Avenger SS would certainly be among ones I would recommend.

The reason I bought champion plastic is because I heard the dx plastic can take one hit on a tree or something and have a flight altering damage after a few hits. Where we play some of our courses are tons of woods so we are always hitting trees and I didn't want to buy lower end plastic having to replace them after a couple rounds each time ... I know the pro plastic is more durable but how much? That's really why I bought the champion plastic discs was so they lasted longer.

I'm a champ/Z type of guy myself, but the cheaper stuff lasts longer than you're thinking. Also, the lower stability of the base plastic is your friend as a newer player. Just get used to rotating the disc in your hands so that you're not feeling the notches.

The star plastic is super durable but takes FOREVER to beat in. My star leopard3 was found and returned to me this morning thank goodness. The price of the plastic wasn't the problem it was the fact the disc was finally starting to break in.... Finally.

As stated above the better plastics could potential make you hate them until they beat in like my star destroyer, when it does find that sweet spot though it could potentially hold it for years, compared to a few weeks in dx (depending on how often you play )

meh. I like a nice beat disc, save for my stable mids, a throwing putter and my overstable drivers i want to maintain control with. Distance and turnover shots though? Give me pro or DX even RPro if its an open fairway thrower. Just like the grip and i seem to get more out of a beat disc, and i am a bit more fearless knowing i can replace it cheap and break it in quickly.