• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beginner Throwing High Speed Disk

bdarg34

When I throw my new Insanity - 9 speed....it just hyzer's out at a violent crash....what gives?

Am I just too new and don't have the arm strength and/or correct process?

RHBH
almost 50 yrs old
max distance is probably 230' with a 7 speed disc

Thank you

Last edited:
When I throw my new Insanity - 9 speed....it just hyzer's out at a violent crash....what gives?

This happens to everyone that throws a disc that is too fast for their arm speed. It also happens with brand new discs. You'll get less hyzer as the disc breaks in.

Yes. The correct process can be learned in the Strategy & Technique forum.

almost 50 yrs old

Thank you

This is good for a beginner. Midranges and putters are easier to throw than drivers. It's helpful to practice with those before moving up to drivers.

Welcome to the forum!

RHBH
almost 50 yrs old

Thank you

check out this subforum
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4
and read the threads by sidewinder22 and consider his posts carefully

welcome to the addiction and to the forum

I'm also guessing nose up. Unless it's one of the new Halloween ones with the skull stamp. I've watched a couple of people crank on theirs and they seem pretty beefy.

I was a newbie not so long ago, and found myself in very similar circumstances. I don't know if you already know this, but:

~ "Speed" is a shorthand way of communicating how fast the disc should be traveling in order to behave as designed. In other words, if you can't throw it fast enough, none of the other numbers really matter

~ "Speed" is related to measurements of the disc itself, inclduing rim width and depth. I hoenstly believe it's a "best guess" applied by each manufacturer - there is no exact science

~ Flight numbers might be accurate to gauge performance within a manufactuer's offerings (a 9 speed disc needs more power than a 7 speed disc made by the same company), but they vary tremendously from company to company (you'll find that comoany X's fairway driver is much more stable than comapny Y's even though they have similar numbers)

~ Do NOT fall for the "great disc for every type of player" hype. It's simply not true, and some manufacturers are pretty egregious with these claims in their marketing

~ Learn to throw putters and mids flat and straight. Look for telltale differences in their flights (like more fade at the end, and hints of turn during the flight). You start seeing that, and you're ready to move up.

~ Have fun, and think twice before you buy anything based on what you read on the Internet. There are lots and lots of great discs to buy, and some fit your game better than others. It takes trial and error, but it's way too easy to end up with boxes of barely-thrown discs that just turn hard left and die (not that I would have any personal expereince there…)

~ Play with friends and others at the course. Watch what they do and ask about their discs.

~ Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

It's complicated. Flight numbers are at best a guess. Two discs with identical ratings can behave very differently. Your bad experience is likely as much due to your form as it is the disc. In my experience the higher the speed of the disc the greater the chance that I have no idea where its going. Kind of like the difference between throwing a rock and throwing a paper airplane. Try several discs until you find the one that works best for you but understand that there is no magic disc that will transform your game.

RHBH
almost 50 yrs old

Thank you

OP has been playing for 32 years...but says they are a beginner? :confused::confused::confused:

OP has been playing for 32 years...but says they are a beginner? :confused::confused::confused:
Yes, play only occasionally thru the years....played 50 rounds last 30 days....looking for good physical workout with accomplishments...just really want to throw farther at this point and develop my forehand technique...thanks for the help....if you can...also learned I should grip lock when going for distance....not the fan grip !!

It is the skully glow disc....it moves fast...just not what I expected with the hard crash at the end....I will practice over winter...thanks !

It is the skully glow disc....it moves fast...just not what I expected with the hard crash at the end....I will practice over winter...thanks !

Well if you are into the MVP stuff... the Relay is a lot like the insanity with a lower speed rating. Get a 155g-160g. It should behave closer to the numbers, some folks out here that are shorter range claim it's their longest/best driver.

Wait.. Skull glow? That's the insanity in 2.0 glow plastic.. Word on the street is they are even beefier than a normal one and as far as I know only available in max weight. I haven't had the need to throw mine yet, I know it's going to be beefy for me so I wasn't in a rush until I need a glow disc. I figured it will be destroyer/nuke kinda stable.

FWIW I throw a 157 neutron insanity, I found the 165 plasma didn't get me the right action. I'm about a 300' thrower. +/- and I love my 155g-165g relays they are still very usable at short range.. I treat them like a stable mid.

Last edited:
I'm an older guy who has played for around 7 years but I play alot, usually 5-7 times a week. My ceiling for my drivers is around speed 8, and at my age I think this ceiling is probably permanent. The first fairway driver that I ever got to perform for me was a Teebird and now my go to disc off the teepad and on the fairway is my 168g River.

I would go really light, like in the 130's for the high speed drivers.. And get a disc with both some turn and fade. I like blizzard Katanas, Wraiths, Terns etc. I flip them out a little past 350 on the best throws. if they start turning over and they will eventually, start throwing them with some hyzer. Then move on when they flip over no matter what. Increase weight as you drop in speeds as well.

Not grip lock....power grip !!
Also, my form needs improvement.
Stretching should help that !!

When I throw this RHFH on anhyzer I got a lot of distance but finished with hyzer crash as usual...it was flippy...I do throw one hole regularly RHBH with the skully and in windy conditions...I really want to see my 1st 300' drive before 2022 !!!

Wish me luck !

Latest posts