• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best time of year to play the upper Northeast

DSCJNKY

Double Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Hello DGCR'ers...
I am planning a road trip to go to play the entire northeast section of the United States: Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, and maybe New York).

I was telling some friends about it earlier today, and they warned me that the Black Flys were "in season" right now and July wouldn't be a good time to go.

So... is that true? and if so, when is the best time to go?

Thanks,
DSCJNKY

September would be the best time for new England. The tourist season is over, things are a bit cheaper and the weather is great.

I lived in Ct for 1-1/2 years.

September would be the best time for new England. The tourist season is over, things are a bit cheaper and the weather is great.

I lived in Ct for 1-1/2 years.

That was going to be my answer. The weather is still warm, not too rainy and the bugs are pretty mild.

October is great if you time it right with the 'fall foilage' season, I did a New England DG trip in late Oct 2007 it was simply beautiful. The hotels tend to fill up so plan ahead.

the problem with fallen fall foliage is that it can make finding your disc very difficult if any of them are yellow, orange, or red.

the problem with fallen fall foliage is that it can make finding your disc very difficult if any of them are yellow, orange, or red.

The dead leaves can bury discs of any color too. The leaves aren't too bad in September, but if you come in October, it's definitely a concern. Especially considering most New England courses are heavily wooded.

We're thinking about postponing the trip to September... but that causes some confusion with the girlfriends vacation days from work.

Are the black flys really that bad? She does hate bugs.
DSCJNKY

September is perfect. Leaves won't be too bad until late Sept or early Oct. Plus temps are perfect for warm fires and cold beers. I will be up in that area for 2 weeks in Sept. I'll probably be in Saranac, NY for at least 1 week. Possibly Lake Champlain area the other week. I'd be up for meeting at Hyzer Creek and/or Joralemon one day if you are swinging through that area. Or maybe even in Vermont.

Yes, black flies are bad. One of my buddy's from NY had a girlfriend that kept trying to go on one of their hunting trips every year. So they took her during black fly season. She never asked again.

We're thinking about postponing the trip to September... but that causes some confusion with the girlfriends vacation days from work.

Are the black flys really that bad? She does hate bugs.
DSCJNKY

I've never had much of an issue with black flies. It's the mosquitoes that get me. Right now they are really bad, but in August and September they seem to be less bothersome.

...They took her during black fly season. She never asked again.

Hmm... interesting idea.

JK... if I didn't bring her along then I'd not get to go on any myself. So, fewer bugs is better in this situation.

DSCJNKY

I played from Virginia up to Maine in August, it was hot but the bugs weren't awful. We had some mosquitoes but not many flies.

When I'm in the north east, I'm swimming. Prefer July/August just to be assured of nice swimming weather.

Getting in the car after work today (10/4) and driving on up.

Have plans to play in DE, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, ME, VT, NH and PA (10 new states). Got to play at least 1 course in each state... but will try to squeeze in more in time permits. (I have to entertain the girlfriend too).

I know I will be @:
- Iron Hill in Newark, DE on Fri mid-morning (10/5)
- Cranbury Park in Norwalk, CT on Monday morning (10/7)
- Maple Hill in Leicester, MA on Tuesday morning
- Portland Maine and Sabattus DGC sometime Wednesday/Thursday
- Tyler State Park in Newton, PA sometime Saturday/Sunday

Hopefully I have time for it all!
PM me if you're in the region of any of those courses.
DSCJNKY

Perfect timing. While not peak season here, its close; its gonna be a beautiful drive. You'll easily the thange in season from Ashville to ME.

Dress for every kind of weather. Its snowing in the upper midwest and it'll move east. Might not snow where you're at but the further you leave the coast and the higher elevations you reach you can expect cold and wet.

Not sure if you're travel plans will permit this, but if you can squeeze it in the Kancamagus Highway between ME & NH, it is considered one of the most scenic highways in the nation at this time of year.

Thanks for the tip simpletwist!
I do believe that I was randomly going across that road from Sabattus to the NH/VT courses as it was... but now I'll be sure of it...
DSCJNKY

YW. Hey if you come a bit west on your way back home there are some fine courses in and around Rochester, Buffalo, and Pittsburg too. Hit me up if you want a guide for the western NY area. Speaking of which this is a great time of year for a drive along Lake Ontario or the Finger Lakes wine region.

DSCJNKY,

I just got back from 2 weeks up there. Good timing. It should be prefect. I reviewed a few courses in the VT, MA and NY area if you want my humble opinion on their current status. If you are hitting Maple Hill, try to get to Devens too. I think it is about 45 mins to an hour away. Hilly technical course with ups and downs. Very cool. Mini Sugaree in a way.

Yes there are some good courses in Western NY. Definitely worth a side trip if you can swing a few Rochester and Buffalo days. If you play Emory let me know your thoughts. I've played it twice, and still am not sure what I think of it.

Yeah, it's good. I just have thought both times it could be better. But I guess that where the opinions are like a-holes phrase comes from. :eek: