• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Best utility disc?

I have two discs that I guess would be called utility discs, but to me they're more "jack of all trades" discs and I could probably play a decent round with just these two.

One is an overstable PD I use for forehands, tomahawks, skips and head wind drives when the wind is howling and the other is a champion panther I use for short rollers, annies (both forehand and back hand) and hyzer flips through the woods. Sometimes the Banshee takes the place of the PD on shorter wooded courses.

Recently bought a Felon and Warrant to see if they'll replace either of them, but it's winter, it's cold, the Felon is Lucid and the Warrant is white, so we'll have to wait for warmer weather for a play off.

I'm not sure I agree with this definition of utility disc, main because it contradicts itself. If it doesn't have a clearly defined purpose, then why would you being reaching for it on a "very specific shot." I think most "utility" discs do have a very clearly defined purpose, just one that isn't used often. I think maybe I would define it as 'a disc used to execute a very specific type of shot or shots that aren't often needed during a normal round.'

Well stated. :clap:

Based upon the 'consensus' definition of a 'utility' disc, I'd say my bag's utility disc is the Gator.

But when I am stuck in the woods, have a tree between me in the basket, and/or have no clearly visible path to the basket, I reach for my Pink Panther. It does spike hyzers, anhyzers, touch shots, rollers (if I can actually get it down well), and has good glide and distance on a basic long approach. Every shot i can use the Pink Panther for, there is probably another disc that would do that shot better... but for doing ALL of those shots with confidence and some ability... that's the Pink Panther for me.

...I think most "utility" discs do have a very clearly defined purpose, just one that isn't used often. I think maybe I would define it as 'a disc used to execute a very specific type of shot or shots that aren't often needed during a normal round.'...

FAF Firebird and Zephyr for me. Total opposites on flight paths, and I could go a couple rounds without throwing one or the other, but they both have their uses in my game.

Champ Firebird. 300ft spike hyzers to 50ft forehand approaches and lots more in between. And way to many thumbers/tomahawks to get out of the woods (wish I didn't have to throw these shots but glad I have the Firebird when I inevitably have to).

XXX. Amazing disc. Forehands, backhands, rollers, thumbers, tommys. I throw it all the time. So predictable.

XXX. Amazing disc. Forehands, backhands, rollers, thumbers, tommys. I throw it all the time. So predictable.

Do you find the xxx more overstable than the felon? I am not really looking to throw either one but am curious because I like knowing how discs compare.

Not much is more OS than a flat Opto XXX. Mine replaced Champ Firebirds. XXX is more OS than the Firebird. By a good amount. Have never thrown a Felon, but I hear Felon compares to the Spark. XXX is much beefier than the Spark. So, it is probably much beefier than the Felon too.

Do you find the xxx more overstable than the felon? I am not really looking to throw either one but am curious because I like knowing how discs compare.
Yes by a good amount really. I bag both. I find the Felon to be longer and doesn't spike as much in its fade. The Felon sits in my bag between the PD and Felon. I don't put the Felon in the same category as the firebird or XXX. It is different. Doesn't even fade as much as a pred to me.

For me that would be a 110g DX leopard. Backhand tommys ftw.

Man, I hate throwing tommys so you just piqued my interest.

-------back to your regularly scheduled thread------------------------

"Junk shots" (shout-out to Tall Paul) are quickly becoming my favorite part of my game. I have an old Ch. Banshee that is magical for OH thumbers and FH rollers. A flat (flat is where the magic happens) Opto xXx and the Resistor is similarly terrific. The Polecat is my most oft-used utility disc b/c it's so precise and quirky thanks to slowness.

I just got a 168 white GL XXX to replace my lost Opto. This new GL is the most OS XXX I've thrown. Definitely more OS than my Opto or any FB I've thrown. Either way, definitely the best utility disc in my bag.

My best disc for get out of trouble shots is my opto xxx. Forehand, backhand, overhand, this baby does it all. I even have a forehand roller ace with it!

If you define utility as good for a specific shot, then I would be obligated to name my champ tern for hyzer flips. This thing is incredible. I can control so much of the flight by varying the degree of hyzer at release. Monster turn overs, hyzer flip lazers, rollers, it does it all, just not in the wind...

For me it has to be my super flat dga torrent. I find I reach for this disc for everything. I throw thumbers better with this disc then anything in my bag. I can do FH cut rollers left or right. I can get it to go further then any disc I own on a roller. I can skip it consistently. The only thing I cant do is get the disc to go left on air shots(fh player). First time I threw it I was expected a slightly flippy disc as the numbers on inflight guide dictate come to find out that was only the early run. Best mistake I ever made.

Although I use a Raptor in this slot now (because I can use it for more "normal" shots), Firebirds are the best OS utility disc out there.

Latest posts