• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beware the man that has a lid in the bag...

MNcyclone

Double Eagle Member
I was told an old disc golf adage back in the day by a grissled veteran. "If you play for money, beware the man that has a freestyle disc in the bag." His point was that anyone with a lid probably knows how to use it and can't be counted out inside 100'.

So who has a lid in the bag currently? Lets hear what you got!

I currently have a sonic in the bag. Nothing like a fastback for short approaches with deadly accuracy :thmbup: (assuming no wind anyways...)

Being not well-versed in lids, which discs would be considered part of that category? I can think of the Rattler, Condor, Birdie (maybe)? What all are considered lids?

It doesn't get more lid shaped than an Aerobie Arrow. The thing looks like a paint bucket lid. :)

I've gotten the WTF look more than once throwing that thing at the basket.

The Zeppelin is in the bag too. It's awesome for approaches.

Not that I'd beat anybody with my lids, but I'm rockin' em.

I played with a guy that only used an ultrastar. He beat me.
LIDS RULE!
Innova and Discraft have been scamming us for years! :mad: :thmbdown: :wall:

My buddy uses the second pocket in his Grip bag for his Condor. He uses that disc on most shots inside of 300, it's pretty crazy to watch that thing go. So slow but just never drops. He throws it forehand and backhand.

I know a Condor is not a lid, but if you ever see the lines he carves with that thing you'll have no doubt that the man knows how to control a disc.

My 52 year old cad's bag looks like this:

Phenix-Condor-Lynx-SuperHero Dog Disc-Zephyr

He doesn't beat me that often, but I have NEVER beaten him by more than 5 throws, even on courses I play regularly and he doesn't. For the first five years I played (late 80s-early 90s) I only played with a Wham-O. And I still warm up with an Ultra Star.

This is an example of a "lid". I used them for golfing back in the day, but haven't had one in my bag in quite awhile!

picture.php

I also use a Sonic. To me it's a big part of my upshot game on tricky greens and long putts up/down hills. People always look at me funny when I play with it but it's become a staple in my bag.

I first learned about the sonic in the 2011 KCWO. I played with Ken Climo the first round and on hole 12 I looked down at his disc and was like "Is that a Sonic??". He laughed and was like " Oh ya". The next day I picked one up and found out quickly why he uses it. This year he came through KC again and while at our shop (DGW) signing autographs, I pulled out that sonic and had him sign it since he was the one who first turned me on to them.