• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BOO TICKS BOOOOOO

lbond

Par Member
Hey guys I just wanted to give a heads up to everyone out there regarding those nasty little demon spawn we all refer to as ticks.

Below are a couple of links regarding a new tick-spread illness that has been popping up here in Missouri the last couple years. I don't know if there are already threads for this or not, so if there are then ignore this.

I contracted Rocky Mountain Tick Fever when I was in 8th grade and almost died, but since then its extremely rare that I find any ticks attached to me. However, I played in the Gateway Ozark Mountain Open last weekend and found six or seven ticks of all varieties on me and two were attached.

I'm not a farmer and I don't have an almanac and I don't know if this is a sign that they will be bad this year or not, but just be careful. Throw on some DEET and keep it on as you sweat. Tuck your pants in your socks if you don't mind looking like a turd. Just remember that ending up in the hospital because a bear or something pounced on you as you putt is pretty BA, ending up there from a tick bite is not.

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/...cle_f981a7df-1fbc-56a0-a03b-371d981df157.html

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/07/22/204527407/new-tick-borne-virus-lurks-in-missouri-s-woods

P.S. I also understand the threat isn't a huge one, but most people don't think ticks carry anything but Lyme disease.

It can't possibly be worse than last year. I had found maybe 3 ticks on my body my entire life, and probably pulled 20-30 off last year.

Yeah I'm not really sure how things go with these little guys up north but here in Missouri they are a constant concern between late March through Octoberish. From what little I have looked into their battle movements against humans it looks like they're starting to get worse in the north and northeast. I'm also not a scientist and don't really care to follow tick migrations. They disgust me.

Most of our tick friends up north are of the Deer and Wood variety. That generally means Lyme or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I do not believe the Lone Star is up north just yet.

The key to staying safe if vigilance. My dog does go out and play with me. After every round, I check her and me at the car. The dog gets brushed upon arrival at home. I check myself again and then take a shower. DG clothes stay outside overnight.

Late last summer I started using a natural mosquito spray. That does a good job or repelling ticks as well. I only found ticks earlier in the summer, prior to using this spray. It is called, "Natrapel".

I found several ticks last year, however it was due to the extensive checks.

Here are a few good links with additional tips:

http://www.stonybrook.edu/ehs/pest/tick-safety.shtml

http://www.tickencounter.org/tick_identification

As someone who has gone through Lyme Disease, I can't express enough how much I hate ticks.

As a lifelong hiker and backpacker, I've had a lot of them. Never gotten anything from them but I still hate them. Out here Lyme disease is relatively rare thanks to the western fence lizard. I know folks who have had it and want nothing to do with it.
Still, I've been late to a football party because I was carving a tick off my butt with a razor blade in the mirror. (yes this is disc golf related...) Was tempted to call for help.... Guys? Guys? C'mon guys... Little help..... Yeah, that's gonna happen!

:D

Boo ticks booooo! Always gotta remember to check yourself for ticks. I don't seem to pick up too many but we always have to check the dog after a round. One time at Bonnaroo my friend got a tick on his butt. That is all I have to contribute.

I woke up one morning after a day of disc golf to find one almost imbedded into my ankle. I removed it properly and condemned it to a fiery hell with my zippo afterwards.

I hate parasites, whether human or non-human.

Stay vigilant peoples.

Whats next "I hate mosquitoes"..

There a part of outdoor life, take off the dress and get used to it....

I've found that it's best to be proactively aware and check very often, versus doing a check at the end of the round/hike/whatever.

It's far better to take a second and check socks/pants/whatever EVERY TIME you come out of the rough (brush, tall grass, scrubby woodland) than waiting until hours later to check. I've found numerous ticks on me, but I've only ever had two attach. Neither of those even got past the first layer of skin because I was being vigilant and checking often.

Just remember: tweezers or tick keys are the best/safest method for removing an attached/embedded tick. DO NOT put a chemical on the tick or try to burn it...those methods cause the tick to upchuck, spewing all the nasty stuff that causes disease directly into you.

Edit: if you don't own animals (most cats), check out permethrin. It kills ticks dead on contact.

Last edited:

They're. Also your sig uses your instead of you're twice improperly. :p

If I take off the dress I might get more ticks.

You're such a tough guy. You probably just sweat out the lyme disease. Livin on the edge! No dress!

Tick life! My life!

They're. Also your sig uses your instead of you're twice improperly. :p

If I take off the dress I might get more ticks.

You're such a tough guy. You probably just sweat out the lyme disease. Livin on the edge! No dress!

Tick life! My life!

No dress, maybe, but you're getting your panties in a bunch over internet spelling... :rolleyes:

Being mostly a disc golfers talking to disc golfer type board, I appreciate simple intellectual discourse on topics that directly impact me on the course. I also think it is great that the experience of other like minded folks, can be shared, to benefit me and prevent me from learning the hard way. We cannot all be tough interwebz mountainmen. :\

I played my home course from 1993-now and never saw a tick there til 2 years ago. Now theya re pretty common.

Other areas nearby have tons of them. I know more disc golfers than I'd like who have gotten Lyme's in the last 5 years playing. It's actually getting pretty scary. I pretty much pull one off of me every few rounds now. And the dog always has a few on her. She got Lyme's 4 years ago also.

Be careful people, it's actually pretty serious.

Definitely check yourself after you play and watch for those bullseye rashes if you think you've had one embedded. Catching Lyme's early is critical to a fast recovery. I have a friend who probably had it for 2 years before they figured it out and it's being managed, now, but may never be fully healed.

They don't just hang out in the woods, either. If you walk in tall grass, check your legs and feet for them.

Be careful people, it's actually pretty serious.

agreed. people tell me i'm stupid because i disc in VFF and typically only wear those and a pair of shorts, but whenever a tick is on me i see it immediately. i'm always checking myself while walking from lie to lie during a round or while waiting for others to throw.

that said, frankly i haven't had too many ticks on me which is surprising. i play pretty wooded courses and some with very tall grass.

Ugh ticks. I feel pretty lucky that up this far north we have a relatively short tick 'season.'

They only seem to be around for a month or so in the spring and then, pretty much, disappear.

Latest posts