• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Break in period

TimZ

Tired of relying on broken in discs.

Am I naiive for wanting to find something that flies well for me new?

Or is everyone always living with the break in period. Star plastic is taking me quite a while to beat in. Fact of life?

You could always get a mold that flies great when fresh and then just replace the discs as they break in. Or possibly use broken in discs for different role slots

I think of this as 2 different things.

1) I like a disc that's broken in a little. Not "seasoned," to where it's stability is changing, just "knocking the new off it." Flashing, etc, can make a disc fly not as intended, so to speak. This usually only takes a couple/few rounds.

2) Seasoning is what I think of as a disc getting enough wear to change the stability. This will generally take a while with premium plastic, such as Star.

If you have a specific mold in mind, it might be good to post which, and how you want it to fly. That would get you some replies about molds that may fly that way "off the shelf."

Personally, I'm of the same mind. I prefer fresh, new plastic that flies how I want it. I've been in the "seasoning" camp before, and when you lose that DX Roc or Eagle that was perfect, then have to try to either artificially break it in or wait... well, it sucks. I prefer Star plastic that will season slowly, but hold the flight for a good long while and use different molds for different shots. Plenty of people disagree on this, but hey, use what works for your game.

Tired of relying on broken in discs.
Am I naiive for wanting to find something that flies well for me new?
Or is everyone always living with the break in period. Star plastic is taking me quite a while to beat in. Fact of life?

No, you're not naive, nor alone. While some like to beat in discs and have the same mold fly different ways, i am not one of those. Except for my putting putters, I prefer discs in premium plastic that do NOT change or change very slowly over time. I bag discs that fly like they're "supposed to" (per the flight numbers) fresh out of the box.

Star plastic does take a long time to break-in/wear-in/season-in/beat-in. Gold Line plastic seasons in a bit faster but finds a place to be and holds that. Opto beats in slower but it does beat in. Speaking only for myself, I have never beaten in a Champion disc (and it hasn't been for two years of trying). So yes, slow break-in periods can be a fact of life, and can be a good thing.

There's a little balance between it being perfect out of the box and then being too unpredictable soon, and taking as long to beat in as you would prefer it to be in its sweet spot.

I'd skip it off some roads/sidewalks, and even put a towel down on the sidewalk and flick it into that repeatedly (dents the edge but doesn't chip because of the towel). Also get some nicks under the bottom edge. Then use some sandpaper a bit to just get rid of any sharpness from the nicks.

If you are "practicing shots" but happen to have concrete landing zones...then are sanding away damage imperfections...then I don't see this being an issue with being legal to use in play...

But I just want to throw the disc that flies right for me, not wait a year for it to be the disc I wanted.

Star plastic doesn't seem to take too long for me, Champion is another story. Either way use your disc for a year and you'll have a better disc. Beat in discs fly better than new ones, that's all there is to it for me. You can always buy used, but I enjoy adding a couple discs a year and watching them season.

depending on what you're looking for. There are a TON of discs out now that may be able to fill the need as a "new disc"

I am like this. I have a few that I like where they are worked in / seasoned, but I Prefer to have a disc mold that will fly the way I want it to brand new, for replacements and etc.
SO. What are you looking for? I'm a nerd about discs and flights and I usually know a good few options on a type of discs.

I just get discs and use them accordding to how they fly, no need to wait for it to break in. They are in a constant state of change.

Star plastic doesn't seem to take too long for me, Champion is another story. Either way use your disc for a year and you'll have a better disc. Beat in discs fly better than new ones, that's all there is to it for me. You can always buy used, but I enjoy adding a couple discs a year and watching them season.

QFT!

Buying a new neutral/understable disc to replace a nicely seasoned disc may work for a short while, but when those beat in, they can become unpredictable as hell.

I went this route for a while and ended up with a whole lot of discs I hated. Better in the long run to stick with what you play well with and can trust for your game than get on the "I need a new disc for this shot" carousel.

If it's a Star disc you lost, buy another Star and a DX.

Last edited:
And still people ask "why?" when Lat releases a disc like the Maul, which is a seasoned River, or the Falchion, which is a seasoned Saint. Don't throw enough of the highspeed stuff to comment, but I'll wager the Westside Queen is another example.

Do what works for you.

Some molds I really like to cycle, because the characteristics that the disc takes on are sometimes hard to get in a fresh mold. I do this a lot with fairway drivers and overstable distance drivers.

For mid ranges I like them pretty fresh. Mids are more affected by wind and power level, so I prefer to have these dialed in really tightly. I'll move a mid out of the bag as soon as it thinks about changing on me. Fortunately my mids (all three of them...) are either Fluid or DyeMax, and they last a very very long time - 1st run fluid Claymore, 1st run fluid Truth and DyeMax Verdict are all about to start their third seasons in the bag.

sand off the flashing and then taco, rotate, taco, rotate, taco, rotate...until the plh has dropped some and you end up with a brand new looking disc that flies like a broken in disc, and holds that stability much longer than a fresh less stable disc.