• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

I haven't watched that one yet but him tying Hannah, isn't that surprising really. SHe doesn't have any real distance to speak of but is pretty consistent for the most part off the tee. As far as him being at an MA2 level, he's still extremely wild off the tee and has only a basic understanding about what disc or shot shape to throw in a given situation. I was playing for roughly 4yrs when I starting throwing 400ish flex shots on flat ground and still never made it above 890. I'd say he's doing pretty well so far.

Last edited:
I am really enjoying this last set of videos. Brodie has good energy and is doing a great job of explaining his "journey". Hannah is sweet and cheerful and a good opponent/partner for him at this point. And Paul is doing some great coaching/discussion/observation. I'll bet that these videos are exposing a lot of folks to disc golf as well as to Paul/Hannah.

And, I'm not finding Brodie to be over the top or obnoxious. He's learning fast and apparently having some fun.

That last video was great. Paul doing color and Brodie learning the game... I found it entertaining and educational. I would enjoy it more however if they were throwing Innova.

Nice video..i really liked Pauls coaching

I must admit that after +20y of playing i did not know that you was not allowed to touch the basket when you tap out

Nice video..i really liked Pauls coaching

I must admit that after +20y of playing i did not know that you was not allowed to touch the basket when you tap out

That surprised me. I don't think Paul is right about that. At least not by current rules or how I see most tapouts happening, most pros look like they brush the basket with their thumb while dropping it in. Perhaps it's to do with having a pivot point closer to the basket than the lie?

That surprised me. I don't think Paul is right about that. At least not by current rules or how I see most tapouts happening, most pros look like they brush the basket with their thumb while dropping it in. Perhaps it's to do with having a pivot point closer to the basket than the lie?

Per rule 807.B "In order to complete a hole with a basket target, the thrower must release the disc and it must enter the target above the top of the tray and below the bottom of the chain support, and come to rest supported by the target."

Maybe this is paul's interpretation of "the thrower must release the disc" with the idea being if you are still holding your disc and your disc touches the basket. Then you would probably have a contact point in front of your lie.

Last edited:
Once Brodie truly understands disc selection, disc manipulation and angle control, he will be a force. His form will come quickly, it's the disc iq that takes time. Little things like knowing to throw a flippy fairway on hyzer instead of a stable fairway on hyzer in certain situations is an example of shots that take time to fully comprehend. Having Paul, and eventually other pros, there to explain these things will certainly help expedite this.

I used to agree with what Paul said, but now I'm not so sure. Here's why:
802.07:
If the lie has been marked by a marker disc, then when the disc is released, the player must:
Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the lie; and,
Have no supporting point closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
Have all supporting points in-bounds.

Therefore, if a "supporting point" is defined as including the disc in the player's hand (which I used to think it did), then touching the basket with that disc before you release it would be a penalty. Thankfully, "supporting point" is clearly defined in the rules (802.04.B):
A supporting point is any part of the player's body that is, at the time of release, in contact with the playing surface or any other object that provides support.

So the disc clearly isn't included (as it couldn't be defined as a part of the player's body unlike clothing or shoes could be considered a part of it, and even if it could, you'd have to show in that situation that the person was using the basket to support their weight). I can't find anything else in the rules that adds to the discussion, but maybe I'm missing something.

If someone was a few feet away and could put their disc in the basket, point their arm up straight, bend 90 degrees at the elbow, stretch their toes behind their lie, and then say they'd holed out, I'm sure they'd be called. Beyond that, it doesn't seem to be illegal.

Last edited:

Latest posts