• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

Nice video..i really liked Pauls coaching

I must admit that after +20y of playing i did not know that you was not allowed to touch the basket when you tap out

He's not quite correct.

Two scenarios where your lie is a foot away from the edge of the basket:

1 - You're reaching into the basket, holding the disc, and the disc is touching the inside of the basket. You release the disc into the basket. This is LEGAL.

2 - You're reaching into the basket, holding the disc, and your hand/wrist/arm is touching the rim of the basket. You release the disc while your body is still in contact with the basket. This is ILLEGAL.

Scenario 1 is what Paul is referring to. It seems close to being illegal, but it's not quite. You can touch the ground or basket or trees in front of you all you want before you release the disc. The only time that matters is the precise moment when the disc is released. If you're holding the disc, and the disc is touching the basket, but then release it, then at the moment of release you're no longer holding the disc any more, so there's no contact in front of your lie.
Did you release the disc first and then cease making contact second? Or did you cease making contact first and release the disc second? As far as the PDGA is concerned, it's simultaneous and we allow it.

It's kind of like the ground causing a fumble in football. Did you fumble first and hit the ground second? Or did you hit the ground first and fumble second? They're simultaneous, so the rules just take a stance on it.

QA-COM-1
Q: If I have a drop-in, do I need to throw the disc in, or can I just place it in the tray and let go?
A: You can place it in the tray, but you must release it and let it come to rest before retrieving it. A release is a required part of a throw, so merely touching the chains or the tray with your putter is not a throw and does not complete the hole.

I've watched a couple of these Brodie videos finally with Paul and Hanna. He's really not as annoying as some folks are making him out to be. There are guys that show up to my leagues that are WAY more annoying than that and plus it just seems like he's just relaxed and having fun with the game.

There are times that he gets a bit loud, the video that he made with Simon and Paul that started this has a few of those moments. He also has that thing a lot of new players have where they are overly impressed with great shots by really good players. I am still guilty of that on occasion even after playing close to 10 years. In general, I agree with you, he's just having a good time but I can see where he might rub people the wrong way. Same thing happens with Nikko to a degree. Some guys are just better at keeping their emotions under wraps than others.

Brodie is doing just fine for someone who has played the game for less than 3 months. His ultimate background gives him some good familiarity with the skill set necessary to throw all the shots. For a player with that little experience playing disc golf to tie a 916 rated FPO player is not bad at all. However, that's really not good enough for MPO. 916 rated players can't even compete at local C-tier tournaments, let alone NT and DGPT events where the best of the best come to play MPO. I don't see this going well for Brodie if he is dead set on playing MPO for the upcoming season.

Most people are laughably bad at disc golf when they are as new to the game as Brodie currently is. I expect that he will continue to get better as the year progresses but I doubt he will make a legit push at a 1000 rating any time soon. With time he should become a solid pro, but it may take a few years to get the familiarity with the discs to master all the shots needed to be a legit MPO caliber player. The man looks like an athlete and has a good build for disc golf, but I think people need to pump the brakes on the "He's gonna be 1000 rated at years end" crap.

I could see him maybe shooting a few 1ks towards the end of the year, especially if his putting continues to improve like it has been. Any player with the distance he already has can get hot and shoot a great round or two if they're making putts. As far as averaging 1k, it would be rather difficult especially if he struggles a little out of the gate.

Its really all just conjecture at this point, since he hasn't even registered for an event yet. He has to actually compete and get a 900+ rating before he can even play in a NT/DGPT event on the pro side. Maybe he shows up and plays AM1 for some?

Last edited:
I've watched a couple of these Brodie videos finally with Paul and Hanna. He's really not as annoying as some folks are making him out to be. There are guys that show up to my leagues that are WAY more annoying than that and plus it just seems like he's just relaxed and having fun with the game.

Did you see the one from months ago when he plays with Simon and Paul? It's night and day. He was putting on quite an annoying "bro" performance before, whereas now he seems much more reasonable.

...So the disc clearly isn't included (as it couldn't be defined as a part of the player's body unlike clothing or shoes could be considered a part of it, and even if it could, you'd have to show in that situation that the person was using the basket to support their weight).

Paul is wrong, but not by your reasoning. Todl gives the right reasoning in #543.

In the scenario being discussed the disc isn't considered a supporting point, it is considered an object that provides support. See bolded bit below.

A supporting point is any part of the player's body that is, at the time of release, in contact with the playing surface or any other object that provides support.

The disc isn't part of the player, it is just an object that provides support. But it doesn't matter, because as Tod says, it isn't providing support at the point of release so is irrelevant.

And also, it doesn't matter how much weight you are putting through a supporting point, if you are in contact with it, it is providing support.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Did you see the one from months ago when he plays with Simon and Paul? It's night and day. He was putting on quite an annoying "bro" performance before, whereas now he seems much more reasonable.

I haven't but I'll bet that people like Paul told him to tone it down a notch or three. Probably was told something like, "Hey that stuff might have worked with your ultimate crowd but it isn't going to work with DG." He might be annoying to some but he isn't stupid.

He is very productive, two videos in 18h . . .more videos in a week than most discgolf pros makes in a year

Brodie on his own has more Youtube views than the entire Jomez, Central Coast, and Disc Golf guy catalog combined. Go ahead and add in any of the other production companies like Spin TV, Gatekeeper, Prodigy as well.

The disc isn't part of the player, it is just an object that provides support. But it doesn't matter, because as Tod says, it isn't providing support at the point of release so is irrelevant.

And also, it doesn't matter how much weight you are putting through a supporting point, if you are in contact with it, it is providing support.

Fair, I didn't consider it to be a "supporting point"

However, in your second paragraph above, I'm not sure I agree. You're describing a "contacting point". Why wouldn't the rules say that instead of supporting point? A supporting point would, by definition, be a point that supports. Can you clarify?

However, in your second paragraph above, I'm not sure I agree. You're describing a "contacting point". Why wouldn't the rules say that instead of supporting point? A supporting point would, by definition, be a point that supports. Can you clarify?

Supporting Point is defined in 802.04.B: A supporting point is any part of the player's body that is, at the time of release, in contact with the playing surface or any other object that provides support.

Objects that provide support: the ground, a tree, a rock, the basket.
Objects that don't provide support: tall grass, leaves, spiderwebs.

If you are making contact with an object that provides (or, essentially is capable of providing) support, then it's a supporting point. I'd extend that to secondary contact as well - that is, if you're holding an object, and that object is touching something that provides support. That could be you leaning on a crutch that's supported on the ground, or holding a stick that's touching the ground, or holding a disc that's touching the basket.

What does not count as a supporting point is if your arm makes incidental contact with weeds, tall grass, or leaves as you're swinging your arm.

To me its like putting an UFC fighter in a ring with a boxer... and tell him hes gotta box. No matter how much you train him for boxing, hes got boxers to beat.

Will be interesting to see for sure.

Toddl has covered most of what I was going to say. But a couple of further or clarifying points.

The definition of a supporting point actually uses the word contact:
A supporting point is any part of the player's body that is, at the time of release, in contact with the playing surface or any other object that provides support.

'Providing support' is only used in the second clause of the sentence in relation to ' any other object...'.

And the Q&A section users the same language:

QA-TEE-2: I threw my drive off a raised concrete tee pad. When I let go, the front of my foot was hanging off the front edge of the pad. Was that a stance violation?

No. The rule states that all supporting points must be within the teeing area at the time of release. "Supporting point" refers to any point on the player that is in contact with the playing surface (in this case the tee pad), rather than to a complete body part such as a foot. The part of the foot that is hanging off the end is not a supporting point because it is not in contact with the playing surface, so no violation has occurred.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I see what you're saying, and at the same time, I wish the rules were clearer. "that provides support" is vague, both in the meaning of the phrase and the construction of the sentence.

Latest posts