• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Caiman

I just appreciate it that Mr. Dunipace tries new things and we get to try new discs as a result. :thmbup:

Don't get me wrong, I do too. I don't like V-Tech, but appreciate that some people do. I also appreciate that Innova does try new things, some of which will be "crap" and some successful, instead of just resting on their laurels of being the biggest manufacturer. I was just giving you grief for suggesting some sort of Frankendisc.

Don't get me wrong, I do too. I don't like V-Tech, but appreciate that some people do. I also appreciate that Innova does try new things, some of which will be "crap" and some successful, instead of just resting on their laurels of being the biggest manufacturer. I was just giving you grief for suggesting some sort of Frankendisc.

Yeah, I know. As to V-Tech, I don't have particular feelings about it in and of itself; it's what the disc does that causes me to like or not like it. I loved the prototype DX Colt when it came out; man! was that an accurate disc!:thmbup: Then they went and ruined that with the tweaks that led to the production Colts, especially in Star plastic. :mad: But the Star Stud has been a good disc for me. The VRoc and VCobra are sneaky good discs, as well. The Wombat... meh.

So bring on the Frankendiscs! We'll either love 'em or hate 'em like we do Plus molds. Innova's not going to go bankrupt trying new things, fer sure...

Did these hit the innova proshop like the Rat did? Can't find them anywhere on there. but I know the rat was on there and sold out quickly.

You two joke, but would it really be the most surprising thing for Innova to do?

Nope, they could make a Condor sized disc with the Innova Destroyer specs to that size, call it a Giant Destroyer. Or another popular driver do same thing above with a Thunderbird and call it a T-Bird. Then a Thunderbird has to be called a Thunderbird not T-bird like most do including me, to differentiate the two discs. :|

Last edited:
:doh:

Make the disc a Big Bird then in my post above.

big_bird1_2869483b.jpg

Yeah, the gator was definitely a 3 fade.

I have a 4 fade Gator. The Big Bead, Blunt nose ones have a 4 fade. I thought I was losing my mind at first, then I looked it up.
I believe that's what some are forgetting. With or without the blunt nose changes a lot. They may have just went like 3 top, blunt nose, and big bead for the Caiman.

and then Small bead, standard top, standard nose. Old school gator as the standard gator again.

I have a 4 fade Gator. The Big Bead, Blunt nose ones have a 4 fade. I thought I was losing my mind at first, then I looked it up.
I believe that's what some are forgetting. With or without the blunt nose changes a lot. They may have just went like 3 top, blunt nose, and big bead for the Caiman.

and then Small bead, standard top, standard nose. Old school gator as the standard gator again.

The old school "beadless" Gator mold is now used for the Mortar, so I don't think they're going to start running that as the Gator again. As for the Caiman, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

There is more than one way to make a disc overstable. A lot of old school molds like the Gator, Firebird, Starfire, etc. do it with a blunter wing shape. This also tends to decrease distance potential though, so a lot of newer overstable molds use high PLH and a more convex wing to achieve overstability without losing as much distance potential. Look at something like the Bard or Verdict which are still overstable but have a lot more potential than something like a Gator. I'd guess Innova might go with a design more like that for a newer overstable speed 5 mid.

Any new info on these? Thinking of getting some backups for my mortar, wouldn't mind trying this mold too, especially if they turn out not to have the supply and run issues of the mortar.

The only way they would be able to re-market (or justify a re-market) of the beadless Gator with a different name is if they were consistent with the mold components used for Mortars and Caimans. Mortars have had a consistent ROUND top since the 1.3 but inconsistent bottom. In my opinion the bottom micro-bead or no micro-bead is negligible to the flight of the disc however the top is not. If they kept with the round top for the Mortar and designated the more blunt-square top for the Caiman, they could be considered different discs. The blunt top makes Gators and Mortars more over-stable.

I was wrong earlier about Mortars trying to be consistent with the blunt top. All the newer runs- 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, glow, color glow, and Frontlines have had the round top.

I hope the Caiman is a different disc entirely though.

So based off of the few profile photos I've seen, the Caiman looks a lot like a Mortar. Does anyone have one yet?

Caiman is slightly faster than a 1.4 mortar and more overstable. it feels more shallow and better for a forehand grip.

Latest posts