• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cam Todd Pro Basket Prototype

Ive spoken with Cam about this before and to kind of some it up with out exactly quoting.... Any body (super pros) can "hack" a drive 450+ and hit a putt inside 60. That's not exciting for him or them really.. He used to be known as the best putter in the world and apparently he thought putting was just to easy and thought it should be made harder. Here is the out come... Unfortunately I think if you really wanted to make it hard just put different tops of the baskets. Leave the bucket and pole the same. Then every A tier NT or whatever stop can be modified easily.. Boom problems solved

:clap::clap::clap::clap: I'll bite! Where is the Kool aid??? I will drink to that. The only problem is you would need a locking system to lock the diffrent tops to the polls to prevent theft. Hell just you could make it so you buy a kit of diffrent tops, chains and bucket and have the poll and locking tab be standard.

This new design would only be more challenging for players using the conventional laser beam, chain punishing style of putting.
By making the top ring smaller, you also make it much easier to lob a disc in, basketball style. High hyzer approaches would also be much more likely to drop in, without the larger diameter top ring blocking them, regardless of the height differential of your new design. In fact, with the chains in the lowest position, chances of making a lob shot would actually increase.

So, I think all this new design would accomplish is to change the current putting and approach style.
In order to make this design truly more challenging, the basket diameter needs to mimic the top ring, or be somewhat closer in size than your current proposed design.

I think the idea is ok. Although I think making putting harder is going to drive players away from the sport overall, which isn't a pro considering dg is definitely still a niche sport. I wish we could just move towards overall target standardization. Many of the courses I've played have different types of baskets, and some are definitely more friendly than others.

Speaking of friendly, the angles on the top of this new basket have got to go. They will chew up putters! Can you imagine hitting the basket on an ace run only to find your disc

I want to see someone come up with a basket that doesn't have a center pole going through it. Just the top rim, the chains and the basket. I don't know how it could be done but I would love to see one.

So, we need baskets that make putting harder for pros, but not much harder for rec players, and never have inconsistent catching ability because of the chains.

Once again, the target that meets everyone's goals is to get rid of the chains altogether. Just have the tray on a pole.

I was thinking this today and it looks like this thread is blowing up as expected. Here's what I got:
- Accurate Putts needed
- Less Aces / More Rare
- More like Golf in scoring
- Reduced Target
- Lay ups, soft putts (no more real hard solid putts)

Just use a barrel.
- Cheaper Install cost - Courses for $100, not $3500
- Easy Install
- Like Golf with an actual "hole"
- Simple to make practice holes
- General public will "Get" it and start playing
- Make sure to write "Don't throw your trash in this barrel" on all the baskets

I want to see someone come up with a basket that doesn't have a center pole going through it. Just the top rim, the chains and the basket. I don't know how it could be done but I would love to see one.

You need 2 parts - I almost made one as a practice basket. Hanging Chain rack from the ceiling, and a basket underneath. It makes the engineering of supporting a basket and chain rack on a pole a moot point. Also, it would look AWESOME!!

" Any body (super pros) can "hack" a drive 450+ and hit a putt inside 60. That's not exciting for him or them really."

And all he wants to change is the basket. jeesh....

You need 2 parts - I almost made one as a practice basket. Hanging Chain rack from the ceiling, and a basket underneath. It makes the engineering of supporting a basket and chain rack on a pole a moot point. Also, it would look AWESOME!!

One can dream right? :p

Just use a barrel.
- Cheaper Install cost - Courses for $100, not $3500
- Easy Install
- Like Golf with an actual "hole"
- Simple to make practice holes
- General public will "Get" it and start playing
- Make sure to write "Don't throw your trash in this barrel" on all the baskets
So...... just use a trash can. :\

I think our current deer feeders are better at preventing trash in our targets.

If basket size ever had any bearing at all on the growth of disc golf, Steady Ed would have made the basket huge. I don't see it as relevant to this discussion. Here's a case where size doesn't matter in terms of growth.

Maybe, but I think it's also possible Steady Ed nailed it (or came close) on the first try. Also, I haven't heard anyone suggest just making the bottom tray smaller, with a chain configuration like the Gateway Bullseye target.

Really, though at the end of the day I don't care what target the pros have to throw at, I just don't want to see these on my local courses.

A target without a pole exists, don't recall the specifics, though. The target is essentially a hoop attached to a short pole. The hoop has a net attached, and the idea is to throw the disc through the "hole" created by the loop, where it is caught in the net. I think the design is flexible so not all "holes" have the same orientation, and can vary from a vertical plan to a horizontal plane. Very affordable, and in my view an intrinsically appealing concept but one which never caught on. I find the concept more equivalent to the ball golf "hole" than the basket designs we all play on regularly.

In this thread: bad putters whining about how small the basket is.

Thank you, internet putting champion. :rolleyes:

No one's complaining the baskets are too small, just that the majority of the players don't feel the need to make them smaller. This concept is for the top pros.

I am certainly no pro player or putter, but I could see smaller baskets having a place replacing older baskets on older, short courses to add a little more challenge. Or maybe even on some newer courses where land is scarce and the fairways can't be overly long or challenging. Why not have several different sized baskets approved for use? No harm in that. Standardization is over-rated.

I skipped over most of this thread so I'm not sure where everyones thinking is at but these seem awesome. We do need a better basket. I'm all for a harder target but one that always grabs when the putt is true. This one looks like as long as you hit chains it's going in. Plus less aces which I don't think is bad. I played ball golf for a long time and the learning curve is so high it really keeps you coming back striving for perfection. I like the basket. It could be more visually appealing with some smother edges for sure though.

Latest posts