• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can we safely play a round of disc golf?

Certain uv wavelengths (365nm-400nm) can damage your eyes and skin so be careful.
You really should purchase protective eyewear for the wavelength of your torch.
As far as killing the virus uv flashlights will not be as effective as the sun.

So now it's not "don't nice my disc"

It's "Don't F####in touch my disc!"

Me and the dog are still playing every night, if any one comes up here to play again I'm getting their money for sure! Pays to have your own course! And tonals, no dirty baskets here.

I'm still trying to work enough to wrap stuff up and get bills out, I know my guys will lean on me for funds that I may not have if I'm not quick on the bills, but we are super cautious. Nothing here yet but lots of people coming to hide out. Gloves on and empty houses are best.

Last edited:
UV light should be taking care of most of these. Just don't touch/breathe on people and keep your distance.

The intensity of UV light required for disinfection is roughly 4 orders of magnitude higher than what you can safely be exposed to. The rest of your advice is solid.

Most obviously, there's still a lot of bowl and joint passing going on.

The differences in the ways people are effected by fear are interesting. Some panic and overreact. Some deny the existence of a problem. Reasonableness is a rarity, and certainly not one taught or decreed by the national gods.

I'd say the baskets are probably the biggest risk at the course right now, other than direct contact with other people. Its the one thing that nearly everyone out there will be touching and/or their putters touching.

Its all about limiting exposure, so if you're on a busy course, don't bother with the tap-ins. I haven't played yet but if I did, I wouldn't even try anything inside of 15ft on a busy course.

Just be happy that you're in a place where you're still allowed to even go outside to play, the parks are actually open and the baskets are still in the ground and move on to the next hole.

New Reality?

90120115_2411933888906547_7934800789136998400_n.jpg

I'd say the baskets are probably the biggest risk at the course right now, other than direct contact with other people. Its the one thing that nearly everyone out there will be touching and/or their putters touching.

Its all about limiting exposure, so if you're on a busy course, don't bother with the tap-ins. I haven't played yet but if I did, I wouldn't even try anything inside of 15ft on a busy course.

Just be happy that you're in a place where you're still allowed to even go outside to play, the parks are actually open and the baskets are still in the ground and move on to the next hole.

Another good suggestion. Really the chances of spreading the disease via a basket is still pretty low though. You would need a sick golfer, most are still not. That sick golfer's chances of infecting the basket would decrease if they are diligent in hand hygiene...hopefully most are. Then the virus would have to be transferred from dirty hand to disc, to the basket.

Not trying to encourage anyone from being safe. Just reinforcing that disc golf may be one of the safer activities available.

May not be the time to say this, but i feel like to many people react like you will "insta die" if you get Corona. . .thats just not even close to tru
The worst part is that many of the +70y "high risk" population does not seem to care at all, they just do the same things as normal. . .if i go to the supermarket, 90% of the customers are +70y standing and talking close to each other

I will play discgolf just as normal, and i go to work as normal. . and after work i will go and grap something to eat down town

As an introvert...all of this social isolation is a paradise.

Spent an hour shopping for my elderly parents two days ago. Did not have one person come within 10 feet of me (including workers) until I checked out. Absolutely lovely experience except for the sanitizing everything I bought and changing/ showing when I got home part.

In other news, I played a round last night on our last nice day until next week. I just didn't putt at anything inside the circle - I counted 83% as makes (since it's what I do normally inside the circle) and called it a day. Only had to disinfect my putters twice during the round thanks to a couple of 40 foot jump putts that I cashed:D. I disinfected all discs upon returning home.

May not be the time to say this, but i feel like to many people react like you will "insta die" if you get Corona. . .thats just not even close to tru
The worst part is that many of the +70y "high risk" population does not seem to care at all, they just do the same things as normal. . .if i go to the supermarket, 90% of the customers are +70y standing and talking close to each other

I will play discgolf just as normal, and i go to work as normal. . and after work i will go and grap something to eat down town

This is irresponsible and misinformative. If you are going to attempt to justify your selfish and uneducated opinion, please provide sources for your support.

If I seem testy on this subject, good.....my feelings are coming across well. I am watching my peers and friends drown in my hospital system. Staff is working their asses off. Working in rain, wind, cold, outside testing in drive through operations. I am watching these people work 12 and 16 hours shifts. I am watching the system put 300 people a day into the hospital. It is a day or two away from no vacancy. I am watching these people get sick and bring it home to their families, because they have no option. I AM NOT ADVOCATING PANIC.....just give a **** about others, educate yourself and try to do the right thing. The sacrifice is reallyvery small and the payoff is really large.

Sorry jolt. The above is really a PSA, though you brought it on.

A recent study in Wuhan estimated 1.4% mortality for people showing COVID-19 symptoms:

. . . we estimate that the over-all symptomatic case fatality risk (the probability of dying after developing symptoms) of COVID-19 in Wuhan was 1.4% (0.9–2.1%) . . .

Estimating clinical severity of COVID-19 from the transmission dynamics in Wuhan, China

Obviously some of those activities would increase the risk to yourself and others:

. . . undocumented infections were the infection source for 79% of documented cases . . .

Substantial undocumented infection facilitates the rapid dissemination of novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV2)

So i´m "your selfish and uneducated" for going to work, eat and play discgolf by my self in the woods...let´s close down the World and let every small business go under

I did write more but i deleted that

I guess something to keep in mind when you're reading my suggestions and thoughts about CV, is that I'm not so much worried about my self getting infected in general, its that I live with a 72yr old women with a myriad of health problems. I'm going about my daily life with that in mind so that I am not the one who gets her infected... though being an overweight, 25yr pack and a half a day smoker probly puts me in the high risk pool also...

This is irresponsible and misinformative. If you are going to attempt to justify your selfish and uneducated opinion, please provide sources for your support.

If I seem testy on this subject, good.....my feelings are coming across well. I am watching my peers and friends drown in my hospital system. Staff is working their asses off. Working in rain, wind, cold, outside testing in drive through operations. I am watching these people work 12 and 16 hours shifts. I am watching the system put 300 people a day into the hospital. It is a day or two away from no vacancy. I am watching these people get sick and bring it home to their families, because they have no option. I AM NOT ADVOCATING PANIC.....just give a **** about others, educate yourself and try to do the right thing. The sacrifice is reallyvery small and the payoff is really large.

Sorry jolt. The above is really a PSA, though you brought it on.

I´m not going to bite but i would like to know what is "selfish and uneducated" about what i said?

You dont "insta die" if you get Corona
+70y is the high risk group is it not?
I have to go to work
Playing Discgolf by my self in the wood far away from everyone. . .that has to be a "low risk" thing to do?
I will go down after work and buy food and help the small resturants . . and i will take the food home and eat alone

A recent study in Wuhan estimated 1.4% mortality for people showing COVID-19 symptoms:

Estimating clinical severity of COVID-19 from the transmission dynamics in Wuhan, China

Obviously some of those activities would increase the risk to yourself and others:

Substantial undocumented infection facilitates the rapid dissemination of novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV2)

Here in Norway the average age of COVID deaths is 89 years. I wouldn't worry too much about this virus unless you're old or you have a serious precondition

I guess something to keep in mind when you're reading my suggestions and thoughts about CV, is that I'm not so much worried about my self getting infected in general, its that I live with a 72yr old women with a myriad of health problems. I'm going about my daily life with that in mind so that I am not the one who gets her infected... though being an overweight, 25yr pack and a half a day smoker probly puts me in the high risk pool also...
Here in Norway the average age of COVID deaths is 89 years. I wouldn't worry too much about this virus unless you're old or you have a serious precondition
:wall:

I stay away from people as much as i can, but i do have to work
I buy most of my groceries at odd hours

But to go out and play discgolf by my self in the woods away from others and your called "selfish" , , i just don´t get that

I don't really plan on going out and doing much of anything beyond going to work(while I still can before I'm laid off or have my hours cut way back), getting supplies from time to time, and just trying to stay away from other people in general. Staying away from people is pretty easy. As an introvert it feels like I've been training for these times all my life.

I do have a portable travel basket I use to putt at home so I will probably be able to feed my disc golf itch with that in the yard. I do live half a block from a city park that has nice wide open green spaces so I can always carry my basket down there and set it up if I want to do some longer throws too. Obviously I would only do that when others are not down at the park so I can do social distancing still. Park is never really busy but with people being stuck at home I could see others going to it just to get out of the house in a space that allows you to easily keep 6 or more feet apart.

If everyone would just do whats being asked, we could probably return to much more normal things sooner instead of having to take the much more extreme measures we are seeing take place.

Latest posts