• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Catalyst

So I've got a fresh N nitro and fresh N octane and I like them both... nitro feels like it will season into a long straight to slight fade, and the octane goes boom. I've got a Daedalus I use for hyzer flip to straight/no fade and long turnover shots, would the catalyst fill that spot?

^ if you like the Nitro and Octane you would probably enjoy the Catalyst. I haven't thrown a Daedalus but I've seen others throw it. Not sure if the Catalyst would be that US out of the box but it's a great setup with all 3. Hand feel is very similar between the 3.

Ordered a 171g N Catalyst and 169g N Nitro included in an order for some additional spares of other discs I bag. Will probably add the Octane in near future but want to see how I like the 23mm's in general.

Had a chance to throw new Catalyst and Nitro at a field today. Catalyst is pretty flippy at 400+, but can be an effective hyzer- flip to turnover driver with superb glide(the dome baby!). Needs room to work if not thrown on lower lines. Nitro is hard to compare to other OS MVP drivers...it's no Tesla, but barely any turn and healthy fade.

I think I need the Octane to fill this out....

Grab one, they crush. My 170 Neutron octane is the longest disc in my bag.

A hyzer-flip with catalyst just goes boom but octane rides that nice line 4 max D. Not too OS or US and seasons great.

Catalyst yeah, but mucho turn before it finally hooks up at the end. Don't know how useful it will be on the course. Octane sounds better...

Lol come on dont tell me you are a OAT eater. Catalyst bombs on the course. Ive hit 400' lines with no prob on accuracy.

Only problem with it was the disc went so far b4 fade it landed in some **** 75' behind the pin. Stupid gyro.

Last edited:
Lol come on dont tell me you are a OAT eater. Catalyst bombs on the course. Ive hit 400' lines with no prob on accuracy.

I do find that, at least in the wooded courses I tend to play, my more understable distance discs find themselves out of my bag and on the fairway more often than my neutral/overstable distance discs. It's easier and more comfortable for me to let the disc do the work with its turn/fade than to crush another disc released dead flat on a max D line. In an open field my Octane goes further than my Daedalus (I'd consider my beat 175 champ Daedalus comparable to a Catalyst) because released on an all-out distance line the Daedalus is just too understable and turns into a flippy turd, while the octane goes and goes. But it is much more controllable to hyzer-flip a disc that is thrown a little softer and let it either turn over or ride straight, depending on release angle.

Only problem with it was the disc went so far b4 fade it landed in some **** 75' behind the pin. Stupid gyro.

There's this thing called wind...

No OAT, never had it, even as a beginner.

400', I have too...at a field. I'll bag it AIMster, but we'll see. The Octane beat a little will probably do the same thing, and more reliably.

Parked hole 16 at crown college the other day for the first time in my life. This disc goes far!

50bf0d09.jpg

450'ish of wide open goodness. Sort of an island green though surrounded by long grass. Killed it.

How is the Catalyst not getting more love on here? I picked up one of these bad boys a few months ago and it's been my go-to distance driver. Thing flat out bombs! It has a decent amount of turn, so you need room to work with, but if you can find the right angle and don't OAT it, it has "YUGE" distance potential. I got a 171 Neutron, so I'm thinking of complementing it with a max weight Proton (hopefully slightly less turn).

How is the Catalyst not getting more love on here?

IMO, you need at least 350' of power to unlock any usefulness of the Catalyst over say, a Wave, Inertia, Insanity, or any of their other understable distance drivers. So that may be why it's not mentioned too much here. We're just a bunch of weaklings. :p

My catalyst is either oddly OS or protons just run more overstable... but I've driven 500 foot holes with star terns on distance lines that don't come back until the absolute last second and the catalyst fades out well before 450 most of the time. The turn of the catalyst is noticeably more minor than the tern as well, which is odd cause I expected them to be quite similar. Thing still crushes on hyzer flip to minor S curve confident distance shots.

Last edited:

Latest posts